PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Member Management Question

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Member Management Question

Postby kipprsnak » June 2nd, 2010, 1:59 pm

I have a previous membership plugin, and I am wanting to transfer to s2member. I'm just wondering if it is possible to manually move those folks into the S2Members or if I need to ask them to cancel and re-join.

Thanks!
kipprsnak

Re: Member Management Question

Postby Helping Hand » June 2nd, 2010, 6:47 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in our product. I am here to help you if I can. However, I am not a technician and this question can only be answered by one of our developers. I will gladly forward your question or request to development and it will be answered as soon as possible, in the order it is received. Please note the options below.

Professional Installation Within 2 Days: ( Customized )
http://tinyurl.com/2erj76d

s2Member Pro is in the development stage and we are accepting suggestions and donations for it's development now. We are also accepting donations for the development of all of the free plugins. To make a donation, use the link below.
http://tinyurl.com/26heax7

Best Regards,

Alex/Helping Hand
Helping Hand
Guest User
Guest User

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 23rd, 2010, 7:22 pm

Hi there. Thanks for your patience with us.

With the release of s2Member Pro, comes a powerful set of Import/Export tools that make this possible. You can learn all about s2Member Pro here: http://www.s2member.com/

Yes, you can even import PayPal Subscr. ID's.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I'll be monitoring the forums closely.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby kipprsnak » July 29th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Okay, I have the pro module, and I read the thing about creating a csv file, I'm just wondering if it will duplicate users if I import them. Also, I'm not 100% sure on how to generate the csv file - just from the db or from WP3.0?

Wishlist puts the transaction ID in the meta_key/meta_value pair that I can identify.... so, what exactly do I need to do? Thanks!
kipprsnak

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 5th, 2010, 5:03 pm

Hi there. I just found your thread ~ very sorry that I missed you before.

OK. So these are great questions.
I'm just wondering if it will duplicate users if I import them.

No. s2Member will not allow duplicates. They will be detected automatically, and excluded automatically.

I'm not 100% sure on how to generate the csv file - just from the db or from WP3.0?

You will need to export data from your existing membership system, and then open it up inside an application such as Microsoft Excel, or Open Office Calc ( free ).

One User/Member per line please. Here is a quick example:
Code: Select all
"ID", "Username", "Password", "First Name", "Last Name", "Display Name", "Email"

If you fill the ID field, the Import routine will update an account matching the ID you specify ( so long as the account ID does NOT belong to an Administrator/Editor/Author/Contributor, this is for security ). When importing new Users/Members, you can leave the ID field empty; don't remove it, just leave it empty ( i.e. "" ).

If you fill the Password field, the Password you specify will be used. Otherwise, a Password will be auto-generated by s2Member. The Password field can also be used with an ID update ( to update/change the current Password ) - so long as the ID field is also filled, and it matches an account already in the system. If you fill the ID field to update an existing account, and the leave the Password field empty; the existing Password, for the account matching the ID you specify, will remain unchanged.

Additional extended information can also be included; even Custom Fields:
"ID", "Username", "Password", "First Name", "Last Name", "Display Name", "Email", "Website", "Level[0-4] or Role ID", "Custom Capabilities", "Registration Date ( mm/dd/yyyy )", "Last Payment Date ( mm/dd/yyyy )", "Auto-EOT Date ( mm/dd/yyyy )", "PayPal® Custom String", "PayPal® Subscr. ID", "Custom Field1 Name", "Custom Field1 Value", "Custom Field2 Name", "Custom Field2 Value", ...

Here is a full example with all fields filled in, including extended details; and two Custom Fields:
"", "johnsmith22", "234jsisdf53K", "John", "Smith", "John Smith", "john.smith@example.com", "http://www.example.com/", "2", "music,videos", "12/31/2000", "12/31/2020", "12/31/2021", "www.example.com|123.357.125.654", "I-2342934SSER243", "Interests", "fishing", "T-Shirt Size", "xx-large"

Here is a full example with some fields left empty:
"", "johnsmith22", "", "John", "Smith", "John Smith", "john.smith@example.com", "", "s2member_level2", "", "", "", "12/31/2021"

* If you supply Custom Fields, your field names absolutely MUST match up with the Custom Fields you've configured for s2Member. See: s2Member -> General Options -> Custom Fields.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby kenduret » September 9th, 2010, 2:45 am

I have a question about the s2 Pro import features. I have an existing site that has been using Wishlist Member that I'm moving over to s2. The site has been using "buy now" Express Checkout as well as Paypal Pro to process cc's on site. This is being done through a custom IPN listener so all info is available from Paypal.

I have created the equivalent subscription levels with s2 for the site content which is all level 1 for 1 month, 6 months and 1 year instant "buy now" non-subscription and non-recurring payments.

My question is if I use the s2 pro import and I supply the "Registration Date", "Last Payment Date", and transaction id in the place for the "PayPal® Subscr. ID" will s2 recognize when this member should get cut-off from accessing the site content? My guess is that I have to tell s2 how to recognize the previously stored IPN data so it can associate it to a current level and is not something that is done with the import feature.
kenduret

Postby Jason Caldwell » September 9th, 2010, 4:15 am

Hi Ken. Thanks for the excellent question.

You can safely import ALL of that data into s2Member, this way it's on file in your new system. However, you are correct; s2Member will need to receive IPN responses that it can understand in order to respond to things like cancellations, refunds, natural EOTs, etc. In most cases, when you're migrating from one system to another, this is just not feasible. It's usually more trouble than it's worth in the end, and could even jeopardize your experience with s2Member going forward with your new site.

That being said, there is a solution to this issue.
( It's not as elegant as we'd like, but it's very reliable ).

Whenever you do the import, for each Member, you can specifiy an "Auto-EOT Date ( mm/dd/yyyy )". s2Member will respond to this event automatically, and WITHOUT reliance on PayPal®. The Auto-EOT Date is telling s2Member that a specific account is absolutely going to expire at a particular date in the future, regardless of what PayPal® says or does with the Recurring Profile, or transaction on record.

So although this is not what I would consider to be a "perfect solution", it will give you some peace of mind; knowing that all of your existing Members ( those being migrated into s2Member ), are going to be denied access on a specific date that you configure yourself during import. This can also be modified later on a per-User basis, by going to Users -> click [Edit] next to a particular User in the list and this brings up a panel with all of the editable fields; which includes the Auto-EOT Date.

We're always open to new ideas and suggestions.
So if you have something you'd like to share, or a list of desires, I'd love to hear about them.
~ Thank you!

For the benefit of other readers. The "Import" feature comes ONLY with s2Member Pro. However, in the free version of s2Member, you can still accomplish the same thing in your list of Users. When you add new Members manually ( one by one ), you will have an opportunity to set an Auto EOT Time, and even go back and edit that later if you wish. EOT = End Of Term.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby kenduret » September 9th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Thank you for this. I was realizing the complexity of creating the responses from the IPN so s2 would recognize the info. The Auto EOT is definitely a workable solution and it looks like it is going to save the day.

Excellent!
kenduret

Postby Jason Caldwell » September 9th, 2010, 10:50 pm

You're VERY welcome.
Thanks for reporting back on this topic.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby bobrandklev » December 14th, 2010, 11:44 am

Jason is it possbile after s2 is setup with PayPal to import the users into PayPal with an expiration date AND create the accounts in S2?
Then upon expiration they are sent an invoice and the IPN will notify s2 to disable or renew the member's access?
CyberInnovation.com
Custom Website Solutions
http://CyberInnovation.com
Design - Development - Hosting - Support - Consulting
bobrandklev

Postby Jason Caldwell » April 3rd, 2011, 3:47 am

Thanks for an excellent question.
~ and thanks for bringing this thread to my attention Cristián.
bobrandklev wrote:Jason is it possbile after s2 is setup with PayPal to import the users into PayPal with an expiration date AND create the accounts in S2?
Then upon expiration they are sent an invoice and the IPN will notify s2 to disable or renew the member's access?

Sorry. Not to my knowledge. The solution that I gave above is the best option I'm aware of.

That being said, you might post your question here. If enough of you demand this feature, we might be able to get PayPal® to implement it. Please see: https://www.x.com/message/135917#135917

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin