PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

User-specific download page/files?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

User-specific download page/files?

Postby jamesmcd » January 15th, 2012, 5:20 pm

Hi there,

I'm creating a site for a business that needs the ability for clients to be given a login, and then have a page where each client will have private access to files uploaded specifically for them (things like PDFs).

Is this possible with s2Member? If so, can someone please explain how?

All I can see at present is that s2Members supports blanket style restrictions on pages, rather than specific user file sharing.

Cheers,
James
jamesmcd

Re: User-specific download page/files?

Postby Raam Dev » January 18th, 2012, 8:33 pm

You could create a page per client where that client's downloads are listed. You'd make the permalink for this page something like /client-downloads-<username>/, where <username> is the username of the client.

Then you can use some PHP code on the Login Welcome Page to automatically redirect the client to their specific page when they login (using this code would require installing the PHP Execution plugin):

Code: Select all

<?php
$redirect_url 
= "/client-downloads-" . S2MEMBER_CURRENT_USER_LOGIN . "/";
?>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
window.location = "<?php echo $redirect_url; ?>";
//-->
</script>

So, if the user logged in with a username raamdev, they would be redirected to the page /client-downloads-raamdev/.

Does that make sense?
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby adam1987 » January 24th, 2012, 10:45 am

Raam Dev wrote:You could create a page per client where that client's downloads are listed. You'd make the permalink for this page something like /client-downloads-<username>/, where <username> is the username of the client.

Then you can use some PHP code on the Login Welcome Page to automatically redirect the client to their specific page when they login (using this code would require installing the PHP Execution plugin):

Code: Select all

<?php
$redirect_url 
= "/client-downloads-" . S2MEMBER_CURRENT_USER_LOGIN . "/";
?>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
window.location = "<?php echo $redirect_url; ?>";
//-->
</script>

So, if the user logged in with a username raamdev, they would be redirected to the page /client-downloads-raamdev/.

Does that make sense?

Hi dear S2members Admin:

I got the same issue here is pertty urgent.
I did not see if the user solved the issue but I dont really get the codes that posted.

Does it means any items that is on the page will be secured?
For example,I uploaded a manual.pdf to my wordpress, then I put the link on that user specific page. How can I make that a link to that file (i.e. mysite.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/manul.pdf) will not ever able to access it by anyone else except use that login name tom so that even some has link will not able to access until login as tom? What should I do to make a link secured so that only accessible by one specific user?

Thanks in Advance!
adam1987

Postby Raam Dev » January 25th, 2012, 12:00 am

Hello adam1987,

You will want to use the normal Download Restrictions feature provided by s2Member. Please watch this video for more information: http://www.s2member.com/file-download-options-video/
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby adam1987 » January 25th, 2012, 10:44 am

Raam Dev wrote:Hello adam1987,

You will want to use the normal Download Restrictions feature provided by s2Member. Please watch this video for more information: http://www.s2member.com/file-download-options-video/

Hi, Raam, I watched the video, and it does help out a bit. However, there is still a loop hole after I try to combine Custom Capabilities and Download restrictions:
Situation is like this:
-I want: Restrict the file downloadable for ONLY specific user.
-I achieved: Restrict the file downloadable for ONLY specific user by putting the link into the client's area page and restrict the file download for level 0 (which I suppose to setup since I don't want the client to pay) and unlimited download.
-the concern: however,in this case, if anyone has the link on the page and is a registered the user, regardless its may not possible, but still, it can be shared without been login as specific user. One can get access by just been an level 0 user also.

May I have your suggestion on such situation so that I can actually achieve the goal of been able to let the file downloadable ONLY for one user specifically while even other registered user obtain the link can not download such file?

Thank You
adam1987

Postby Raam Dev » January 26th, 2012, 11:18 am

adam1987,

Please see the Advanced Downloads Restrictions feature (WP Admin -> s2Member -> Download Restrictions -> Advanced Download Restrictions) and see if that's what you're looking for.
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby adam1987 » January 28th, 2012, 3:56 pm

k, also wondering, how can I get my S2member "verified" so I can put my shield on? Is that only happen when you PUBLISH your site to the bot like Google? or as long as its live then it will be verified?

Thanks
adam1987

Postby Raam Dev » January 29th, 2012, 12:23 am

For details about how to display a verified s2Member badge, please see WP Admin -> s2Member -> General Options -> s2Member Security Badge.
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin