PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Shipping Physical Goods?

Common Questions/Problems/Tips. Posted by Administrators & Support Reps.

Shipping Physical Goods?

Postby sborsch » September 8th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Any creative ways S2Member has been used to *also* sell physical goods?

I completely understand S2Member is all about running a membership site and selling *access* to pages/posts, but my client also wants to make their online-delivered video courses accessible for purchase so they can ship them to their customers who might not have broadband or would otherwise be challenged to view the courses online. Their desire is to be able to use the "Buy Now" button so customers could buy and have the courses shipped to them on physical media like CD or DVD.

While I could implement *both* S2Member and a shopping cart (e.g., WP-ecommerce; Shopp; etc.) for them, I know that managing both a membership software and a shopping cart system is beyond their ability to run and manage over time and too complex for their skill sets.

Any ideas on ways to sell physical goods with S2Member?
sborsch

Re: Shipping Physical Goods?

Postby Jason Caldwell » September 9th, 2010, 11:33 pm

Thanks for the excellent question.

Yes, this is now possible in s2Member v3.2.4+.
However, as you've stated, it's not done "right out of the box"
because s2Member is a membership system first and foremost.

Specific Post/Page Access ( "Buy Now" with shipping required ).

Step #1: Build a Post or Page that contains a "Thank You" message to the Customer, and protect that special Post/Page using s2Member's "Specific Post/Page Access" restrictions.
( see: s2Member -> General Options -> Specific Post/Page Access )

Step #2: Generate a PayPal Button Code for "Specific Post/Page Access".
( see: s2Member -> PayPal Buttons -> Specific Post/Page Buttons )
( select your "Thank You" page from the drop-down menu there. )
( in other words, you're selling access to that specific page )

Step #3: In the Shortcode that is generated by s2Member, make this change:
Code: Select all
[s2Member-PayPal-Button ...  ns="2" /]
Setting ns="2" will force the Customer to enter a shipping address during checkout, and it also enables shipping details via IPN responses that are received by s2Member.

Excerpt from the Changelog ( v3.2.4 ):
-- New Shortcode Attribute. s2Member now accepts another PayPal® Button Shortcode attribute ( ns="1" ) is s2Member's default setting. This controls the `no_shipping` variable in your PayPal® Button.
`0` – to prompt for a shipping address, but NOT require one ( enables shipping details via IPN ).
`1` – to NEVER prompt for a shipping address ( this is the default for s2Member ).
`2` – to prompt for a shipping address, AND require one ( enables shipping details via IPN ).
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby JeffStarr » June 24th, 2011, 3:22 am

Is it possible to calculate shipping costs for, say, USPS? I see that the shipping address is indeed included on the PayPal side of things, but where to set and include the shipping cost for each purchase?

Is this possible with s2Member? Or maybe s2Member Pro?
JeffStarr

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 25th, 2011, 2:31 am

Yes, with the free version of s2Member, set ns="2" in your PayPal Button Shortcode. Then, you can configure automatic shipping calculations inside your PayPal account please. Please see this documentation: http://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/eboo ... Tools.html

ns="1" The no_shipping directive. Possible values: 0 = prompt for an address, but do not require one, 1 = do not prompt for a shipping address, 2 = prompt for an address, and require one. Not valid when cancel="1".

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby JeffStarr » June 25th, 2011, 3:06 pm

Awesome, that helps a lot. So just to be clear:

- s2Member does not handle/provide any shipping calculation, it's up to PayPal settings (and based on the ns parameter)
- PayPal shipping does not provide an actual cost calculator, but rather a way to add-in specific shipping prices (i.e., not dynamic)

If this is the case, my question should have been: "is it possible with s2Member to setup an actual shipping/cost calculator for USPS et al? I have a feeling I already know the answer, but it's worth a shot.

ALSO: I've setup multiple shipping options in PayPal, but nowhere does it actually provide the customer the option to select which they'd prefer. I realize this is a PayPal question, but it would be SO helpful if you happen to know the answer.

Thanks for any help.
JeffStarr

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 25th, 2011, 6:41 pm

So sorry. No, s2Member does not provide that feature.
What you can do though, is create your PayPal Button inside your PayPal account instead of with s2Member. When you create your PayPal Button at PayPal, there are some additional options available, and providing "options", perhaps for a preferred shipping method, becomes possible. But please note, you will need to follow the instructions here to ensure that your PayPal-generated Button Code will work with your installation of s2Member. See: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=309#p1333

Either that, or you could use s2Member Pro Forms, combined with s2Member's Custom Registration Field system to request a shipping address and collect a preferred shipping method. That being said, there is no version of s2Member that includes automatic shipping calculations for various services. We may add this feature in a future version though.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby JeffStarr » June 26th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Thanks for the awesome help Jason - you guys are doing a phenomenal job with the plugin, documentation, and support. Will try with custom PayPal buttons and go from there. Thanks again.
JeffStarr

Postby JeffStarr » July 13th, 2011, 7:22 pm

Hey again, we went ahead and purchased the Pro version of s2Member, and now need a way to include shipping costs using Pro Forms.

Before upgrading to Pro, the free version of s2Member enabled us to setup buttons that are created in our PayPal profile area. Those buttons work great at including the shipping calculations we've set up (also via our PayPal profile). So as the customer checks out, he/she can select their preferred shipping method & cost.

Now with s2Member Pro, we're using Pro Forms and also need to include shipping costs. How do we do this? Is there a way to associate the Pro Forms with our PayPal shipping preferences?

Thanks again for any help you can provide :)
JeffStarr

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 16th, 2011, 10:57 pm

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the follow-up.

Very sorry. No, s2Member Pro does not include any functionality for calculating shipping costs. When you use PayPal Pro forms, your shopping cart system ( i.e. s2Member Pro ) is responsible for calculating shipping and all taxes, because the configuration of your PayPal account in this regard, applies only to Button ( i.e. PayPal hosted ) checkout pages.

So while it is possible to calculate tax rates with s2Member Pro, and also to collect a shipping address and preferred method, it is NOT possible (yet, as of s2Member Pro v110710) to dynamically calculate shipping costs. If you need to calculate shipping costs dynamically, you may want to revert back to using PayPal Standard integration with Buttons. Either that, or you might want to consider some minor custom coding to integrate this functionality into your s2Member Pro Form templates.

Is it possible to modify the PayPal® and/or Authorize.Net® Pro Form templates?
Usually not necessary. But yes, if you really need to. Please check your /s2member-pro/includes/templates/forms/ directory. You can take the default templates, and place some ( or all of them ) into your own WordPress® theme directory. s2Member Pro will automatically find your custom templates there. By placing custom templates into your theme directory, you can be sure they won't get overwritten in a future upgrade. Either that, or you can just use the default templates like they are, and customize them with your own CSS rules inside the Stylesheet for your WordPress® theme ( i.e. style.css ). If you're using a PriMo Theme ( for instance, the s2Clean Theme ), check your Theme Options Panel, under: Custom CSS / Style Sheet.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby JeffStarr » July 17th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Thanks Jason, that's pretty much what I thought would be the case, so good to know for sure.

I think for now we'll just use the PayPal Standard buttons, and then switch later if/when s2 Pro can do it.

For us the main goal with s2Member Pro is getting clickbank affiliate purchases integrated into the site, so if that goes well it will be money well-spent.

Thanks again for the help!
JeffStarr

Postby jumptwist » August 3rd, 2011, 9:47 am

Hi, I'm using s2member PRO with custom registration forms. I need to get the customer's address at registration. I tried the ns="2" but that is not working. When I go to Paypal there is no address information there.

I'm using custom fields for address information but that is a little frustrating for the customer. They have to enter the address twice (shipping and billing).

Is there a way to pass the address information to Paypal?

Thanks for your help.
jumptwist

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 4th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Thanks for the excellent question.
jumptwist wrote:Hi, I'm using s2member PRO with custom registration forms. I need to get the customer's address at registration. I tried the ns="2" but that is not working. When I go to Paypal there is no address information there.

I'm using custom fields for address information but that is a little frustrating for the customer. They have to enter the address twice (shipping and billing).

Is there a way to pass the address information to Paypal?

Thanks for your help.
I'm sorry. No, the current release of s2Member Pro does not make that possible. It would be particularly difficult to set that up with Custom Fields, but I'll keep this thread on our list and see if there is something we can do in a future release.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby xandermusic » August 30th, 2011, 7:28 am

Jason Caldwell wrote:Thanks for the excellent question.

Yes, this is now possible in s2Member v3.2.4+.
However, as you've stated, it's not done "right out of the box"
because s2Member is a membership system first and foremost.

Specific Post/Page Access ( "Buy Now" with shipping required ).

Step #1: Build a Post or Page that contains a "Thank You" message to the Customer, and protect that special Post/Page using s2Member's "Specific Post/Page Access" restrictions.
( see: s2Member -> General Options -> Specific Post/Page Access )

Step #2: Generate a PayPal Button Code for "Specific Post/Page Access".
( see: s2Member -> PayPal Buttons -> Specific Post/Page Buttons )
( select your "Thank You" page from the drop-down menu there. )
( in other words, you're selling access to that specific page )

Step #3: In the Shortcode that is generated by s2Member, make this change:
Code: Select all
[s2Member-PayPal-Button ...  ns="2" /]
Setting ns="2" will force the Customer to enter a shipping address during checkout, and it also enables shipping details via IPN responses that are received by s2Member.

Excerpt from the Changelog ( v3.2.4 ):
-- New Shortcode Attribute. s2Member now accepts another PayPal® Button Shortcode attribute ( ns="1" ) is s2Member's default setting. This controls the `no_shipping` variable in your PayPal® Button.
`0` – to prompt for a shipping address, but NOT require one ( enables shipping details via IPN ).
`1` – to NEVER prompt for a shipping address ( this is the default for s2Member ).
`2` – to prompt for a shipping address, AND require one ( enables shipping details via IPN ).

Hi, Jason!

First of all, I would like to thank for the amazing s2member! This is really a fantastic plugin, and I am about to publish my first sales letter with s2member generated paypal buttons.

I have a singing course online, I give the customers Level#2 access (with custom capabilities). I offer the singing course now not only with membership access to the videos, but as a little upgrade, one can order the double DVD + the downloads of the videos.

My problem is to give these people too the benefits and everything of Level#2 and the shipping of DVD-s, which I can do with Specific Post/Pages access with "shipping required". I want to give them this too at once.

One solution would be to have them pay for the #2 Level access together with custom capabilities, and as they are through the initial purchase, they would be redirected to the second Paypal Purchase, where they pay for the buy now with shipping, so after it I can give them access to the specific Post/page with the download, and with the shipping address I am able to forward it to kunaki, and they will get their DVD too.

My question: how can I program the Paypal button so, that after purchase of Level#2 product I can redirect them to purchase the Shipping/Download?

Another question: can I program in s2member a kind of Upsell chain? Is it possible?

Thanks in forward for the suggestions, and for your awesome product!

Sandor
xandermusic

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 30th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Thanks for your inquiry, for the KUDOS!

My question: how can I program the Paypal button so, that after purchase of Level#2 product I can redirect them to purchase the Shipping/Download?
Well, with s2Member Pro installed, a new Shortcode Attribute for PayPal Buttons becomes possible ( success="" ), allowing you to redirect a Customer to a customized Thank-You and/or Upsell page after checkout is completed. Of course, that's just one of many things introduced by s2Member Pro, but it sounds like that's what you're looking for. See: http://www.s2member.com/prices/

That would allow you to offer a Customer any number of purchases, all chained together. And since s2Member handles post-transaction processing behind-the-scene, your custom success="http://..." can have pretty much anything you want on it, since s2Member automatically sends the Customer a Confirmation email after checkout anyway.

s2-pro-success.png

In addition, s2Member Pro also makes it possible to introduce One-Time-Offers upon login.

s2-pro-otos.png

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby xandermusic » August 30th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Jason Caldwell wrote:Thanks for your inquiry, for the KUDOS!

Well, with s2Member Pro installed, a new Shortcode Attribute for PayPal Buttons becomes possible ( success="" ), allowing you to redirect a Customer to a customized Thank-You and/or Upsell page after checkout is completed. Of course, that's just one of many things introduced by s2Member Pro, but it sounds like that's what you're looking for. See: http://www.s2member.com/prices/

That would allow you to offer a Customer any number of purchases, all chained together. And since s2Member handles post-transaction processing behind-the-scene, your custom success="http://..." can have pretty much anything you want on it, since s2Member automatically sends the Customer a Confirmation email after checkout anyway.

s2-pro-success.png

In addition, s2Member Pro also makes it possible to introduce One-Time-Offers upon login.

s2-pro-otos.png

Crazy, it is soooo goood!
I must get it. And of course, Clickbank, Coupons, just to name some of the benefits...
And One Time Offer, Success Page with Offer, Thank You Page... I will buy it sure.
Thanks, Jason!
P. S. I must get somewhere an Exit popup php script, I can build into my sales pages (I have installed php shortcodes for WP, I think it will be brilliant), and very soon I will have a complete Sales Funnel solution for every case! If I would have the PRO version now, I could the above wish of mine make true. I have to have a little time for this, incomes are very difficult nowadays (Zeitgeist is in Hungary too :( but we are working that even this is changed ;) Hey! It must be changed! I tell You, make people singing together is a way of changing see http://hangdala.hu )
xandermusic

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 31st, 2011, 12:10 am

Hey, I fully agree! Great site too, very nice :-)

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby xandermusic » August 31st, 2011, 8:47 pm

Jason Caldwell wrote:Hey, I fully agree! Great site too, very nice :-)

Hi, Jason!
Kudos given back... :D Thanks.

Tremendous work... but I am proudly present my sales page for the online Singing Course 1 and 2 ( plus doulbe DVD 1 and 2)
http://hangdala.hu/online-hd/