PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

How do you make the Membership Options Page the Home Page?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Postby Adrian » September 28th, 2011, 10:49 am

Hi All,

The set up I am running is Wordpress 3.2.1, the theme I am using is intrepidity 1.5.1 although the theme should not matter.

The normal way that I would use is by going to settings, reading then making the Membership Options Page the static front page. However the s2Member Plugin will not allow this.

Can you think of a way that I would be able to achieve this?

Thanks in anticipation,

Adrian
Adrian

Re: How do you make the Membership Options Page the Home Pag

Postby jmeyers » September 28th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Can you list the home page as the "Membership Option Page" in the s2 Member General Settings? I was thinking of doing that when an SE link is clicked on back to my site. Since the site is locked down for members only, I need for them to land on the home page rather than the options page.

Never mind, I just got an error message saying that it would cause a conflict with s2Member. I'll have to write a new page explaining the membership, then links to the member options.
Last edited by jmeyers on September 28th, 2011, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmeyers

Postby cassel » September 28th, 2011, 2:24 pm

I am not 100% sure but i seem to remember another thread where it was strongly suggested NOT to use the membership option page as a home page. Not sure which thread it was though. If i find it, i'll post it. Otherwise, probably Cristian or someone else would be able to confirm (or not) and explain why.
cassel
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Cristián Lávaque » October 1st, 2011, 1:55 am

Cassel is correct. It's not advisable to use the special pages (e.g. Membership Options, Login Welcome) as the Home page.

If you need the Home page to be the same as the Membership Options, then I suggest copy the content of one to the other

You can also try a JavaScript redirection from the Membership Options to the Home page.
Cristián Lávaque http://s2member.net
Is s2Member working for you? Please rate it Image at WordPress.org. Thanks! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby Adrian » February 2nd, 2012, 8:43 am

Thanks for advice
Adrian

Postby gpseymour » February 2nd, 2012, 10:30 am

I'm setting up a new site - first time working with either WP or S2. Why is it inadvisable to have the options page as home? In my case (at least for the time being), my membership site is actually a subdomain, so anyone landing there is actually aiming for the membership material.

I understand I can do this by making a duplicate of the page. Is there a technical reason not to set the options page, itself, as the landing page?

-Gerry
---
Gerry Seymour
Personal Growth Coach

for Business Owners and Entrepreneurs
gpseymour

Postby Raam Dev » February 2nd, 2012, 7:06 pm

Hi Gerry,

Yes, there are technical reasons it's not advisable. I don't know enough about the reasons to go into detail, but I know it has to do with the way WordPress treats the home page as a special type of page, not really a WordPress Post or Page at all. Since s2Member is designed to operate with the Membership Options Page set as an actual WordPress Page, using the Home page can cause unexpected results.
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin