PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Slow Link Generation

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Slow Link Generation

Postby seofeed » November 4th, 2011, 2:15 pm

I've found that pages that have to generate multiple Buy Now links are very slow to be created. Not sure if there's a way around it. Here's an example:

http://curationsoft.com/download

http://curationsoft.com/pricing

Exact same pages in terms of content, images, etc.. The only difference is the pricing page has S2Member generated links. 10 of them actually. You'll notice how much slower it is to load than the other. S2Member link generation is the only thing that would cause it.

Have you seen this behavior before? Any tips on speeding it up without changing everything?
seofeed

Re: Slow Link Generation

Postby Eduan » November 4th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Try the Quick Cache plugin and see if that helps.
Now officially accepting Professional s2Member installations along with Bruce C (a.k.a. Ace).

If you're interested in a Professional s2Member Installation, or a Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.
Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby seofeed » November 4th, 2011, 3:44 pm

That's twice I've seen that. We use W3 Cache and our other problem is that free users are added to the system twice in wp_usermeta. Think I'll try it out.
seofeed

Postby Eduan » November 4th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Okay, tell me how it goes.
Now officially accepting Professional s2Member installations along with Bruce C (a.k.a. Ace).

If you're interested in a Professional s2Member Installation, or a Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.
Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby seofeed » November 4th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Ok, installed Quick Cache. Good news is it seemed to fix my double user problem. Thank God. It's been a pain deleting those double entries to get the right numbers. On the other hand, the pricing page still takes forever too load.

Checking the source code, Quick Cache is serving the download but not the pricing page. So strange. Still investigating.
seofeed

Postby Eduan » November 4th, 2011, 5:33 pm

1 down.
2 to go.

Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby seofeed » November 4th, 2011, 5:49 pm

Ok no idea. Not sure why it would cache the /download page but not cache the /pricing page
seofeed

Postby Eduan » November 4th, 2011, 6:29 pm

After installing Quick Cache did you deactivate or remove W3 Cache all together?

Sometimes even after you deactivate a plugin, bits of it can still cause incompatibilities if not uninstalled, just so you know...

Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby seofeed » November 4th, 2011, 7:17 pm

I disabled everything on it except for the CDN integration which I'm using. I'll try it though.
seofeed

Postby seofeed » November 4th, 2011, 7:37 pm

Ok uninstalled and nothing. Quick Cache just ignores that page. No idea why. Any help is still much appreciated and I will post in that forum as well.
seofeed

Postby Cristián Lávaque » November 5th, 2011, 10:47 pm

I'll ask Jason about it.
Cristián Lávaque http://s2member.net
Is s2Member working for you? Please rate it Image at WordPress.org. Thanks! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » November 6th, 2011, 12:07 pm

Thanks for the heads up on this thread.

FYI: Quick Cache and s2Member are perfectly suited to each other, simply because I developed both of these plugins together. So, when choosing a cache plugin to run with s2Member, Quick Cache is almost always your best bet. There are internal compatibilities between s2Member and Quick Cache that are more finely tuned than other cache plugins may be able to accomplish.

FYI: As one example of this. s2Member has the unique ability to disable Quick Cache dynamically, on any Post/Page that contains an s2Member Pro Form or Payment Button, to remove any possibility of a corrupted checkout experience, given the dynamic nature of PayPal Button variables and the data contained therein. This is why your particular page with PayPal Buttons is not being served from the cache, and that's what most site owners would want.

Regarding slow load times. Are you serving encrypted buttons?
( i.e. have you enabled PayPal Button encryption? )
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » November 6th, 2011, 12:27 pm

FYI: When/if you enable PayPal Button Encryption with s2Member, this adds an additional API connection to your page generation time, because s2Member must connect to the PayPal API and dynamically encrypt your Button data over the Button Encryption API method.

Therefore, adding 10 PayPal Buttons to a single Post/Page, creates an additional 10 API calls when/if Button Encryption is enabled ( thereby slowing your page generation time to a crawl ).

We will continue to work on optimizing this in future releases.
Ideally, s2Member would be capable of encrypting your Buttons server-side, without an API call. However, we have found there to be MANY technical challenges with this, including many server-specific compatibility issues. Currently, the PayPal API Button Encryption method is the most reliable, but does suffer from a potential bottleneck in the right situation, such as yours.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Cristián Lávaque » November 6th, 2011, 10:07 pm

Thanks for the explanation. :)

He could create buttons over at PayPal following your instructions and use those, right? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=309#p1333

Wouldn't that save the API call? Would he have any disadvantage with these over the shortcode ones?
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » November 7th, 2011, 2:18 am

Cristián Lávaque wrote:Thanks for the explanation. :)

He could create buttons over at PayPal following your instructions and use those, right? viewtopic.php?f=36&t=309#p1333

Wouldn't that save the API call? Would he have any disadvantage with these over the shortcode ones?

Yes, that would be just fine to do that.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby seofeed » November 7th, 2011, 10:37 pm

Hey Guys, thanks so much for addressing this. Good to know that's why the Cache wasn't generated. I do have encrypted buttons enabled. I will investigate and let you know the results but glad to have the answers and solutions.
seofeed

Postby seofeed » November 7th, 2011, 10:40 pm

Whoa, removing the button encryption fixed it and it was instant. It's pretty much normal now and I'm set. Thanks so much!
seofeed

Postby Cristián Lávaque » November 10th, 2011, 11:38 pm

That's great! Although having the button unencrypted pretty much lets someone edit your values before submitting. I strongly suggest you creating the buttons over at PayPal following Jason's instructions. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=309#p1333

I hope that helps. :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby chadagrawal » December 15th, 2011, 2:11 am

Is there a fix like this for the clickbank integration?

I have deleted unnecessary plugins, cleaned everything out, and I'm still getting a slow load time :-(...

any ideas?

I'm using wp super cache because quick cache seemed to not be working at all...
chadagrawal

Postby Jason Caldwell » December 15th, 2011, 8:15 pm

chadagrawal wrote:Is there a fix like this for the clickbank integration?

I have deleted unnecessary plugins, cleaned everything out, and I'm still getting a slow load time :-(...

any ideas?

I'm using wp super cache because quick cache seemed to not be working at all...
s2Member does not make any API calls to encrypt ClickBank Buttons. ClickBank Buttons are secured with a checksum by s2Member; so API calls are not necessary. Slow load times with ClickBank buttons should not be an issue. I would look elsewhere.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin