PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

S2Member Pro Upgrade Questions

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

S2Member Pro Upgrade Questions

Postby HD1512 » December 1st, 2011, 4:45 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to need to upgrade to S2Member Pro so that I can use discount codes. I've currently got S2Member installed with PayPal Standard + Subscription Billing.

I need to have S2Member Pro set up by the end of the weekend and I don't want to start utilizing all of the different features right away. In particular I want to keep using PayPal Standard and not upgrade to PayPal Pro. Basically I want everything to stay the same and just to start being able to accept coupon codes. I'll enable the rest of the features down the line.

So once I install S2Member Pro will this alter my current PayPal set up? Will I need to reconfigure it for PayPal Standard?

The first thing I'll need to do is enable coupon code were the price will be $0. (Subscribers will be paying through a daily deal site where they will get a coupon code). How will this work? Will subscribers have to go through PayPal or will there be a place to enter it into the standard membership registration form?

Many thanks
HD1512

Re: S2Member Pro Upgrade Questions

Postby HD1512 » December 3rd, 2011, 6:32 am

Anyone have any ideas?
HD1512

Postby Raam Dev » December 3rd, 2011, 6:59 pm

Hello,

When you upgrade to s2Member Pro, your existing configuration will not change and you can continue using PayPal Standard and not upgrade to PayPal Pro:

*PayPal® Pro is NOT Absolutely Required* s2Member is very flexible. It is now possible to integrate Pro Forms without a PayPal® Pro account, whereby the enhanced Form Shortcodes that s2Member provides can be integrated ONLY with PayPal® Express Checkout.

In other words, if you get declined for PayPal® Pro service, you can still use s2Member Pro Forms. Ask PayPal® to activate Express Checkout for you. ( it's free ). Once Express Checkout is enabled, you will have access to your PayPal® API Credentials. Log into your PayPal® account, and navigate to Profile -> API Access (or Request API Credentials). You'll choose ( Request API Signature ).

Now ... here is the tricky part; whenever you generate a Pro Form Shortcode with s2Member, be sure to change accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" to just accept="paypal"; thereby excluding the on-site credit card processing functionality; which is available only with PayPal® Pro.

However, I think there may be some confusion about how you can use Coupon Codes:

Coupon Codes can only be used with Pro Forms and you cannot create a coupon code for $0.00, the minimum is $0.01:

* s2Member will NEVER allow the Regular Billing Rate ( or Total ) to be less than: $0.01.
If you want to offer something 100% free, please use a Free Registration Form instead.
Either that, or you can offer a Free Trial Period in your Shortcode.

So, after upgrading to s2Member Pro, you could create a Free Registration form using the Pro Forms feature and offer free registration.

Since the s2Member Coupon Code applies the discount before sending the buyer to PayPal, you must be using a Pro Form to use Coupon Codes (otherwise there is no place to put the coupon code).

If you're using a PayPal Button generated in WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Buttons, then the buyer goes straight to PayPal and there's nowhere to enter the Coupon Code.

Does that make sense?
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby HD1512 » December 3rd, 2011, 7:20 pm

Thanks Raam,

Okay, so I've got it on the upgrading part and the coupon bit (I discovered later the issue about the $0.01 limit). But I still need to be able to accept a voucher code for a free member. This is not a standard Wordpress open registration as the new member will need a voucher code (they will be purchasing membership on a daily deal site). So how do I create a registration where only those with a voucher code can register for free.

There is a video from S2Member about creating free registration with voucher codes but this works with a database of voucher codes, but I just want it to work with 1 code.
HD1512

Postby Raam Dev » December 3rd, 2011, 8:07 pm

Hi HD1512,

In that case, you could create a Free Registration page and simply not give out the URL.

So, let's say the voucher code people receive is "my-free-voucher-124". You could tell those people "Please visit http://mydomain.com/<voucher-code> to claim your free account". Then you create a Free Registration page with the URL "http://mydomain.com/my-free-voucher-124" and simply don't advertise the URL anywhere. Only those who receive the voucher will know the correct URL to the Free Registration page.

That's certainly not a foolproof method, but it's the easiest thing I can think of. Another option would be to write some PHP code that asks people to enter their voucher code into a form, then checks if they entered the correct code (since you only have 1 code, the code could be hard-coded into the PHP instead of using a database), and then transfers them to the Free Registration page if the code matches.
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 4th, 2011, 2:40 am

Heh, I just suggested a similar approach in the other thread. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16176&p=54466#p54503
Cristián Lávaque http://s2member.net
Is s2Member working for you? Please rate it Image at WordPress.org. Thanks! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby HD1512 » December 4th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Great thanks very much. I think I'm going to have to hard code in a voucher value into the PHP.

I know nothing about PHP though and am wondering if you would have any suggestions about good references to review. I've made an html text box submission form for the voucher code and I've adjusted the PHP from your other post, Christian, from GET to POST. But I'm struggling a bit with the actual implementation (as in do I need to make another PHP file or can i just write it into the html on the page in question?

Many thanks!
HD1512

Postby HD1512 » December 4th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Sorry guys. I'm really new to this stuff and I'm afraid I'm just not going to be able to do it myself. I can figure out what I need to do generally, but I'm just not getting the specifics right.

Can anyone recommend a freelancer who can help me out on this?!!

Many thanks
HD1512

Postby Eduan » December 4th, 2011, 4:09 pm

s2Member® / Hot Tip: (s2Installs.com!)
Recommended by s2Member® Lead Developer (Jason Caldwell). Their rate for a standard installation is $125. They're highly trained. Just request their service!
Now officially accepting Professional s2Member installations along with Bruce C (a.k.a. Ace).

If you're interested in a Professional s2Member Installation, or a Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.
Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Return to s2Member Plugin