PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Can't make a Subscription Modification Button work!

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Can't make a Subscription Modification Button work!

Postby myusername » January 6th, 2012, 5:00 pm

Hi,

I'm simply trying to use a Subscription Modification Button, to allow Free Subscribers (level #0, which also means that I have enabled Open Registration) to upgrade to being "level #1" members.

I logged in as a Free Subscriber (and with s2Member's conditionals made sure I'm logged in and at level #0) and pressed that button to hopefully upgrade to level #1. I was directed to PayPal, finished the checkout there, but then was redirected to the REGISTRATION page to create a new username! :(
In other words, it behaved like a normal "Subscribe" button and not a "Modification" button. :(
The original user remained a Free Subscriber (and the new user I created indeed got the level #1 access, but this doesn't interest me because I was interested in MODIFYING the original user's level!).

Please help! I've been searching the internet for hours and hours with no success.

I should also mention that:
1) I am using PayPal sandbox. Still didn't try that modification button outside a sandbox environment.
2) The button shortcode didn't work -- it drew a button, but then PayPal complained that "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" and showed "Message 3005" error messages in many languages.
3) Instead of the shortcode, I copied the HTML, and HAD TO REMOVE THE COMMENT LINES from it in order to make it finally "work" -- that is, to be able to finish the PayPal transaction (all in sandbox, as mentioned above).

Thanks...... :?
myusername

Re: Can't make a Subscription Modification Button work!

Postby Raam Dev » January 9th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Hi myusername,

Are you having problems with all of your button shortcodes? If so, that problem should be addressed first.

One thing I suggest trying is disabling all of your plugins (except s2Member) and then checking if shortcodes start working again. If they work after disabling plugins, that means you have a conflicting plugin installed and you'll need to re-enable your plugins one-by-one until you find the plugin that's causing problems with the shortcode.

Once you get shortcodes working, can you please post the button shortcode that you're using here for us to check?
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby myusername » January 9th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Hi Raam! Thanks for the reply!

1. All my shortcodes work (e.g. conditionals, s2Member badge etc.) except the PayPal buttons.

2. I did what you asked (disabled all plugins except s2Member, using WordPress 3.3.1). Still getting the "Sorry — your last action could not be completed" error page of PayPal as described above.

3. Here's the button shortcode for modification that I've been trying to use, whose html version almost worked: (I replaced below my site's name to XXXXXXXXX)
[s2Member-PayPal-Button modify="1" level="1" ccaps="" desc="Description and pricing details here." ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="XXXXXXXXX" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="0.01" rp="1" rt="M" rr="1" rrt="" rra="1" image="default" output="button" /]

Thanks again and have a great day!
myusername

Postby Raam Dev » January 9th, 2012, 11:15 pm

I believe Paypal returns "Message 3005" when your Paypal account's EMail has not been verified.

To verify your Paypal Email account, please follow these steps:

1) Log into your Paypal Account. You should be in the “Overview” tab.
2) Click on your Email address, under “Business account overview”, you will be taken to a Web page listing your Paypal Email addresses.
3) Select your Primary Adress.
4) Click on the “Confirm” button.
5) Follow the rest of the Paypal instructions.

Can you try that and see if you still have issues?
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby myusername » January 10th, 2012, 5:02 am

Hi Raam, sorry to disappoint us both :) but my email was already confirmed for some time now.
(recall that using the html version of the button, after stripping the html comments, the button kinda worked, only not as a "modification" button)
myusername

Postby Raam Dev » January 11th, 2012, 11:53 am

Have you tried the modification outside of PayPal Sandbox? That could be interfering with how s2Member updates the account.
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby myusername » January 11th, 2012, 12:06 pm

I'll get to it in the future. But may I meanwhile ask you guys the same question? Have you (s2Member team or other user) ever tried the modification button inside/outside of PayPal Sandbox? Does it work? (WP version: 3.3.1)
myusername

Postby Raam Dev » January 11th, 2012, 12:20 pm

Yes, I've tested the modification button outside of PayPal Sandbox and it works as expected.
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby Cristián Lávaque » January 14th, 2012, 3:06 am

Usually the shortcode parsing is messed up by a plugin or theme. Try changing the theme to the default one as a test.
Cristián Lávaque http://s2member.net
Is s2Member working for you? Please rate it Image at WordPress.org. Thanks! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby myusername » January 18th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Hi all again,

When we got out of SandBox mode, and didn't change anything else at the site, the shortcode for the modification button worked + the modification functionality worked as well. The user was no longer redirected to a registration page upon termination of the process at PayPal, but instead -- as expected -- was asked to login again. Meanwhile, s2Member has already modified his subscription (and also associated a Paid Subscr. ID).

My guess is therefore: Your modification button, as a shortcode and also not as a shortcode, does NOT work when using it in SandBox mode.

Anyway, thanks for all the support!
Take care and keep up the good work in s2Member.

(note for Cristian: FYI, just reminding you the beginning of this conversation -- the button DID work not as a shortcode, and indeed led the user to subscribing at PayPal and getting an s2Member Level 1 Role, BUT it didn't work as a modification button, i.e. it functioned simply a simple subscribe button)
myusername

Postby Raam Dev » January 18th, 2012, 11:12 pm

Thank you very much for the update and the information! Glad to hear everything is working now. :)
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby micahbolen » January 28th, 2012, 2:25 am

I can corroborate myusername's findings. See related question on Stack Overflow: http://stackoverflow.com/q/8764732/396070.
micahbolen

Return to s2Member Plugin