PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

S2Member Pro - Coupon Codes Question

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

S2Member Pro - Coupon Codes Question

Postby dibdob » January 7th, 2012, 5:12 pm

Hi, I am setting up coupon codes in S2member Pro. We will be using recurring payments on a yearly basis. How do you get the discount code to apply discount to the first payment only (and future payments to be taken at the original amount?). I see how you can configure Coupon Codes that will ONLY apply to (ta) Trial Amounts, or (ra) Regular Amounts, but is it possible to configure to only apply the discount to the first payment and all recurring after that be at the original amount?
dibdob

Re: S2Member Pro - Coupon Codes Question

Postby Raam Dev » January 9th, 2012, 9:53 pm

Hi dibdob,

The inline documentation under WP Admin -> s2Member -> Pro Coupon Codes -> ( Pro Form ) Coupon Code Configuration says the following:

It is possible to specify which charge(s) a specific Coupon Code applies to ( e.g. the Initial/Trial Amount only, the Regular Amount only, or both; including all Recurring fees. ).

So, if you're offering a monthly membership for $10/month and you wanted to create a coupon that would discount their first payment to $5 and then charge $10/month after that, you could do this:

Create a membership button with "I'll offer the first 1 Month @ $10" and "Then, I want to charge $10 / Month ( recurring charge for ongoing access )".

Then create a coupon code in WP Admin -> s2Member -> Pro Coupon Codes like this: SAVE-5|50%||ta-only

The ta-only attribute applies the coupon to the Initial/Trial Amount (in the button example above, that would be $10). So you'd have a coupon that discounts the first month to $5 and then charges $10/month after that.

Does that make sense?
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby dibdob » January 10th, 2012, 10:44 am

Hi, Thanks so much for your reply. It makes sense and I have given it a go. I set the 1st year at $10 and the future years to $10 as per your example above, however the following error appears on the payment page:

Invalid form configuration. Invalid "ta, tp, tt" attributes. Trial Period. When provided, these cannot be exactly the same as your "ra, rp, rt" attributes.

It seems the first month trial price cannot be set to the same amount as the recurring regular amounts.

It seems that to have the inital price the same as the regular price, S2member requires you to set up with no trial amount. So still not sure how to apply a coupon code discount to the first regular amount only :?
dibdob

Postby Raam Dev » January 11th, 2012, 12:04 pm

I just tested this and did not get that error.

Did you use the Button Generator and then use the resulting shortcode on your page? Could you copy and paste the button shortcode here?
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby dibdob » January 14th, 2012, 3:03 am

Hi, Many thanks for your reply. We are using Paypal Pro and I am using the Paypal Pro forms generator. The shortcode used that is bringing up the error on the page (once the shortcode has been placed on the relevant page) is:

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="1" ccaps="" desc="1 Year @ $10.00 / then $10.00 USD / Yearly ( recurring charge, for ongoing access )" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="caravanholidaydeals.co.uk" ta="10.00" tp="1" tt="Y" ra="10.00" rp="1" rt="Y" rr="1" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="1" default_country_code="" captcha="0" /]
dibdob

Postby Raam Dev » January 14th, 2012, 10:50 pm

I see the problem... that's interesting. I'm going to consult with another support rep and I will get back to you. Thank you for your patience!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby Raam Dev » January 17th, 2012, 2:13 pm

What if you use an initial discount amount of $10.01 instead of the $10?
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby Raam Dev » January 23rd, 2012, 11:49 am

Hello,

Just a quick update on this:

I've confirmed with the lead developer that this is a limitation on PayPal's side: PayPal does not allow the initial/trial period to be exactly the same as the regular period.

Workarounds:

- If the trial period is a different term length than the regular period, it's fine.
- If the trial amount is different by even 1 penny, it's fine.
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby dibdob » January 23rd, 2012, 3:01 pm

Hi, thank you for following up on this and for confirming. Ok, we will think about which route we will take to get round this. At least we know now what is possible and what is not. Thanks again for your help.
dibdob

Return to s2Member Plugin