PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Exhaustion..Try to secure link and view for only one user

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Exhaustion..Try to secure link and view for only one user

Postby adam1987 » January 24th, 2012, 11:25 am

Hi, everyone:

I am so exhausted....I searched almost the whole forum about this topic, but seem nothing is actually that directly work on what I try to achieve.

What I want to do is that :
Create a link on a user specific page that ONLY accessible by that SPECIFIC user who logged in, not everyone can access it but himself. That means even someone has the link , he or she will not allow to see linked content and instead direct them to register page.

I desperately need a clear instruction on how to perform this, I hope our superb community can help me out on this.

Thank You All
Adam
adam1987

Re: Exhaustion..Try to secure link and view for only one use

Postby Bruce C » January 24th, 2012, 3:23 pm

Hi Adam,

I'm confused about what kinds of users you want to be able to access this. I'm guessing that you are selling access to the page that you would like the users to be able to access, which would mean that you could simply create a page, and protect it with custom capability, say 's2_lock_username' (username being replaced by the real username), and run a simple process in your s2hacks.php file to automatically give a user a custom capability based on their username.

Would that work?
~Bruce ( a.k.a. Ace )

If you're interested in a Professional Installation, or Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.

Proud Supporter of:
The Zeitgeist Movement
and Occupy Everything
Bruce C
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby adam1987 » January 25th, 2012, 10:46 am

Bruce C wrote:Hi Adam,

I'm confused about what kinds of users you want to be able to access this. I'm guessing that you are selling access to the page that you would like the users to be able to access, which would mean that you could simply create a page, and protect it with custom capability, say 's2_lock_username' (username being replaced by the real username), and run a simple process in your s2hacks.php file to automatically give a user a custom capability based on their username.

Would that work?

hi Bruce, thanks for replying, but what I am facing is not so, let me explain in a bit more detail as I did in another post:

there is a loop hole after I try to combine Custom Capabilities and Download restrictions:
Situation is like this:
-I want: Restrict the file downloadable for ONLY specific free subscribed user.
-I achieved: Restrict the file downloadable for ONLY specific user by putting the link into the client's area page and restrict the file download for level 0 (which I suppose to setup since I don't want the client to pay) and unlimited download.
-the concern: however,in this case, if anyone has the link on the page and is a registered the user, regardless its may not possible, but still, it can be shared without been login as specific user. One can get access by just been an level 0 user also.

May I have your suggestion on such situation so that I can actually achieve the goal of been able to let the file downloadable ONLY for one user specifically while even other registered user obtain the link in the same level can not download such file?
adam1987

Postby Bruce C » January 25th, 2012, 1:22 pm

You need to use the security key option under Dashboard -> s2Member -> Download Options -> Advanced Download Options. You you can use the shortcode and just replace the file name, and what that will do is create a link for the download, only for the specific time that the user is on the page where you have the link... there is a good explanation of what it does there.

Tell me if that fixes your problem, or if I'm not understanding correctly...
~Bruce ( a.k.a. Ace )

If you're interested in a Professional Installation, or Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.

Proud Supporter of:
The Zeitgeist Movement
and Occupy Everything
Bruce C
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby adam1987 » January 25th, 2012, 1:42 pm

hi, thanks bruce:

I am looking into it, reply you soon
adam1987

Postby adam1987 » January 25th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Bruce C wrote:You need to use the security key option under Dashboard -> s2Member -> Download Options -> Advanced Download Options. You you can use the shortcode and just replace the file name, and what that will do is create a link for the download, only for the specific time that the user is on the page where you have the link... there is a good explanation of what it does there.

Tell me if that fixes your problem, or if I'm not understanding correctly...

Hi, Bruce:

I tried it but seem a bit loop hole still exist, wonder if it could be solved.
I watched this vide: http://www.s2member.com/file-download-options-video/
then, I used the secured key method COMBINE with CC (I dont know if it will work...but seem not), however seem the file can be downloaded with the SAME PC at the time if I logged out from one user and logged in as another user.
Here is the sample of a secured file I put on the secured page for specific user. However, it STILL downloadable even if I logged out then logged in as a different user in the same browser.
<a href="http://abc.com/trail1/?s2member_file_download=S-ClientArea.docx &s2member_file_download_key=<?php echo s2member_file_download_key("S-ClientArea.docx"); ?>" title="Secured ClientArea Doc" target="_blank">Secured ClientArea Doc</a>
<?php echo s2_list_ccap_files("tom"); ?>

*the tom is the user that I want to show the doc to, not anyone else even the one is using on the same pc with the link.

Is that possible to be fixed?

Thanks
adam1987

Postby Bruce C » January 25th, 2012, 2:07 pm

Hmm, I would guess that's because s2Member uses the IP of the user. I don't think it would be possible to change that Adam.
~Bruce ( a.k.a. Ace )

Proud Supporter of:
The Zeitgeist Movement
and Occupy Everything
Bruce C
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby adam1987 » January 26th, 2012, 9:53 am

Hi, Bruce:
Interesting....
I am going to do a test on seperate computer, see whats going to happen . I will be reporting about it tomorrow to this post, thanks again :)
adam1987

Return to s2Member Plugin