PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

How can I run two themes with S2M?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

How can I run two themes with S2M?

Postby 16k_zx81 » January 26th, 2012, 10:42 pm

I need to be able to run two different Wordpress themes on my members site. The site actually sells wordpress themes so I need members to be able to visit pages from two separate theme installations so they can see how both themes look.

Im thinking of creating a subdomain, and am wondering if this is the most straightforward approach in regard to S2M managing the page restrictions and membership access across both sites.

I also wondered if it would be better to use the same domain but to install another copy of wordpress to a subfolder of the same domain that S2M is currently on.

Could anyone advise what the 'best practice' approach is to manage two themes using S2M as easily and trouble free-ly as possible?

Subdomain, Subfolder, Other?
16k_zx81

Re: How can I run two themes with S2M?

Postby Raam Dev » January 26th, 2012, 11:04 pm

Hello,

You cannot manage two separate WordPress installations (i.e., two 'themes') with a single copy of s2Member. (Well, technically you could, but it would require a lot of hacking into the core of s2Member.)

s2Member is heavily integrated with WordPress itself, making use of the entire WordPress user base and basing restrictions on pages and posts for the WordPress installation. It's a very close and integrated relationship. So attempting to restrict posts/pages on another WordPress installation definitely wouldn't work out of the box.
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby 16k_zx81 » January 27th, 2012, 5:14 am

So I cant achieve this with the multisite feature?
16k_zx81

Postby Raam Dev » January 28th, 2012, 8:38 pm

The multisite feature allows you to install s2Member on the primary blog and then allow sub-sites access to their own copy of s2Member. Since WordPress multi-site is not designed to share things like the user base or other settings between sub-blogs, s2Member couldn't easily work in that way even if you wanted it to.

Please see WordPress -> Create a Network:

The sites in a multisite network are separate, very like the separate blogs at WordPress.com. They are not interconnected like things in other kinds of networks (even though plugins can create various kinds of interconnections between the sites). If you plan on creating sites that are strongly interconnected, that share data, or share users, then a multisite network might not be the best solution.
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin