PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Including membership in purchase of e-book

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Including membership in purchase of e-book

Postby aburi » June 9th, 2010, 6:28 am

Hello,

I am trying to sell e-books via downloadable PDFs on my website using s2Member, but I want a free membership to the website forum to be included with the purchase of any of the e-books.

So the confirmation email, or the redirect page after purchase, would have to include both:
1. a link for the pdf to begin download that expires after a certain time period.
2. access to the registration page for the website forum.

I understand how to do one or the other after playing around with this plugin for awhile, but now how to seamlessly do both.

Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Alex
aburi

Re: Including membership in purchase of e-book

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 19th, 2010, 7:06 pm

Hi Alex. I would suggest using s2Member's Membership Level #1. Have your Customers signup for a Membership, which includes access to download your eBook. s2Member can also facilitate protected downloads. See: s2Member -> Download Options.

Now, for the forum registration, you will need a custom code snippet. Please post back to me which forum software you're using, and I'll see what I can come up with for you.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Brian Hatano » June 21st, 2010, 6:14 am

We're doing similar... Any ideas for integrating with Simple:Press?
We were trying BuddyPress and S2Member, but I've gotten a bit frustrated with BuddyPress for our purposes. Simple:Press seems to be quite powerful; that with S2Member, we're real excited for what we'll be able to offer our customers...
Brian Hatano

Postby Brian Hatano » June 21st, 2010, 6:17 am

On another note, we're trying to do almost identical to what Aburi said, going the route of how Jason described it, with the challenge of wanting to customize the book/s slightly by groups for different buyers...
I was hoping we could do it via S2Member, perhaps offering different download per each. For now though, maybe we'll handle that via affiliate software... still not entirely sure on that one.
Brian Hatano

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 22nd, 2010, 1:29 pm

Jason Caldwell wrote:Hi Alex. I would suggest using s2Member's Membership Level #1. Have your Customers signup for a Membership, which includes access to download your eBook. s2Member can also facilitate protected downloads. See: s2Member -> Download Options.

Now, for the forum registration, you will need a custom code snippet. Please post back to me which forum software you're using, and I'll see what I can come up with for you.

With Simple:Press, you really don't need anything special. Once someone signs up as a Member, they will automatically have access to the Simple:Press forums. So this is already what you would call "Single-Sign-On" functionality; because both s2Member and Simple:Press are installed into the same Roles/Capabilities system ( in WordPress ).

Now, if you wanted to get more elaborate with permissions between s2Member and Simple:Press, you can set the default User/Group Memberships for the s2Member Roles [1-4], and Free Subscribers.

See: Simple:Press -> Forum Options -> Member Settings
That is NOT necessary though. The default install should work fine.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 22nd, 2010, 1:36 pm

Brian Hatano wrote:On another note, we're trying to do almost identical to what Aburi said, going the route of how Jason described it, with the challenge of wanting to customize the book/s slightly by groups for different buyers...
I was hoping we could do it via S2Member, perhaps offering different download per each. For now though, maybe we'll handle that via affiliate software... still not entirely sure on that one.

Starting with s2Member v3.0.6+, s2Member now supports "Custom Capability Files".
You can learn more about this, by logging into your WP Dashboard, and going to:
s2Member -> API / Scripting -> Custom Capability Files

custom-capability-files.jpg

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin