PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Three things I'd like to see with this product...

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Three things I'd like to see with this product...

Postby Jwrbloom » June 14th, 2010, 8:00 am

First of all, the product looks great. I'm about to implement it on my system, even though it only allows for four subscription types. I have four types right now, but I also plan on expanding, utilizing a digital product for separate payment for download. More than four types or unlimited payment structures would be great.

On that note, another feature I'd like to see is an option to lock in a subscriber for a Year but only charging them monthly, where say they "unsubscribe" early, they are charged a fee.

My third want is to have work with groups/roles beyond the WP default roles. Whether that's something created within S2 itself or maybe merging a bit with another product like Role Scoper or something one of you guys use that might be a little less bloated.

Maybe S2 does some of this already, and I just haven't explored it yet. However, I like the potential of this product, especially since it's an active group seemingly committed to making this product better.
Jwrbloom

Re: Three things I'd like to see with this product...

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 19th, 2010, 3:30 pm

First of all, the product looks great. I'm about to implement it on my system, even though it only allows for four subscription types. I have four types right now, but I also plan on expanding, utilizing a digital product for separate payment for download. More than four types or unlimited payment structures would be great.

Thanks for the kudos, and also for this great question.

s2Member can be extended well beyond the default Levels [0-4].
But first, I should explain that the concept of "Levels" are really NOT that powerful all on their own. Don't get me wrong, they work wonders in lots of cases, and they're really simple to work with. However, they're not easily extended for complex situations, and thus, have become an outdated way of handling on-site permissions that require lots of complexity.

In other words, even if we designed s2Member to support up to 100 Levels, or even unlimited, that still would not resolve common problems ( limitations ) associated with Levels.

The best way to extend s2Member is through the application of Custom Capabilities. Please see s2Member's section on Custom Capabilities under: s2Member -> API / Scripting -> Custom Capability Packages.

Using Custom Capabilities, you can apply special permissions for different packages, while using just ONE, or possibly TWO of s2Member's built-in Levels. This is the same concept that WordPress® Roles/Capabilities are based on, and is the main reason why the concept of Levels is slowly being deprecated.

On that note, another feature I'd like to see is an option to lock in a subscriber for a Year but only charging them monthly, where say they "unsubscribe" early, they are charged a fee.

Not sure I understand exactly. Please explain further, and I'll reply back.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jwrbloom » June 19th, 2010, 6:13 pm

I have information I'd like to lock people in to give them access to. I have them subscribe for a year to read it. It would be nice if I could lock them in for a year but just charge them monthly, without really an option to opt out until their year is up.
Jwrbloom

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 19th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Ok, so the problem you're facing is with PayPal then? In other words, you don't want them logging into PayPal to cancel their account before the year is up?
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin