PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

RSS feeds not protected in Google Reader

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

RSS feeds not protected in Google Reader

Postby urbanryno » February 25th, 2011, 9:41 pm

I have the latest version of s2Member on WP 3.05 (reverted back after finding out new WP isn't supported).

Under "alternative View protection", I've chosen searches and feeds only.

In the individual blog entries, I choose, "requires level 1 or above".

However, the full text of the posts are pulling into Google Reader. Anyone have a fix or thought? Basically makes s2Member useless to me unless there is a workaround / patch / or php answer.

Thanks.
urbanryno

Re: RSS feeds not protected in Google Reader

Postby Jason Caldwell » March 12th, 2011, 12:29 am

Thanks for reporting this important issue.
I've been unable to reproduce this in s2Member v3.3.2 - 3.5.3. One thing that may bite you is a browser cache. Feeds are typically cached by a browser, and if you've been experimenting between being logged-in and logged-out, this could cause some confusion.

If you're logged in with access to the content; that content will be visible in the feed for you. If you're logged-out, or unable to access certain content based on configuration by the site owner, then s2Member's Alternative View Protection should kick in at this point; and some or all protected content will be unavailable in the feed. That is, IF you've enabled s2Member's Alternative View Protection for feeds.

If you continue to have trouble with this, please let me know.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby bradawest » October 13th, 2011, 12:32 am

I'm having the same trouble where the RSS feed isn't being protected.

I've selected to "Filter ALL WordPress® queries" in Alternative View Protection but it's still showing inside Google Reader.

I've added the shortcode, shown below, around the file I want to protect and deleted the enclosure from Custom Fields. You can see it here: http://bradonomics.com/another-super-awesome-podcast/

It shows "This show has been archived and is only available to premium members. Click here to get premium access" in the reader but still has the file available at the bottom.

I'm using the Wordpress Audio Player inside the s2If and wonder if that is creating the enclosure?

Anyone have experience with this?

-Bรad

Code: Select all
[s2If current_user_can(access_s2member_level1)]
   [audio:http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_217_AMY_SEDARIS_ET_AL.mp3]
[/s2If]

[s2If !current_user_can(access_s2member_level1)]
This show has been archived and is only available to premium members. <a href="http://bradonomics.com/membership-signup/">Click here to get premium access</a>.
[/s2If]
bradawest

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 13th, 2011, 1:40 pm

Thanks for your inquiry.

I believe the issue here, is in the way you're protecting content.
s2Member will only exclude items from your feed ( via Alternative View Restrictions ), when content is protected by s2Member. In your case, this Post is not really protected by s2Member in the truest sense of the word. Instead, you've protected only a specific section of content within the Post's body.

So the solution is to remove your conditional all together, and instead add this Post's ID to your list of protected Posts under: s2Member -> Restriction Options -> Post Level Access Restrictions.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby bradawest » October 13th, 2011, 9:15 pm

When I add the post ID under Restriction Options -> Post Level Access Restrictions, it removes the excerpt from the blog index and redirects me to the membership page if I enter the URL.

I want to leave the post content available as a teaser. Is there anyway with s2member to restrict only the attachments, in my case a podcast, and not restrict the rest of the post (show notes)?

-Bรad
bradawest

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 15th, 2011, 11:11 am

Thanks for the follow-up.

Well, the way you were doing it ( i.e. with conditionals ) would be the way to go then. But the only way s2Member will completely exclude protected content from your feeds, is if the content is fully protected by s2Member. That being said, it sounds like your real issue here is not with s2Member, it's with the enclosure, which is added into your feed by another plugin, even though you don't want that on a particular post. You might check with the developer of that plugin, and see if they can help you with this part.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby luschdesigns » February 2nd, 2012, 9:38 pm

I am trying to block only one category in my WP to subscribers. Those posts are all showing in Google Reader. How do I block them?
luschdesigns

Postby Jason Caldwell » February 6th, 2012, 3:17 pm

Thanks for the follow-up.

1. Protect the category with s2Member.
See: Dashboard -> s2Member -> Restriction Options -> Categories.

2. Enable s2Member's Alternative View Protection for feeds.
See: Dashboard -> s2Member -> Restriction Options -> Alternative Views.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin