PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Quick question about protecting categories...

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Quick question about protecting categories...

Postby Jwrbloom » June 21st, 2010, 1:44 pm

If I protect a Category, does that also restrict the Posts within that Category? (would love for that to be the case)

What about the Category Archive page? (would prefer this not to be the case)
Jwrbloom

Re: Quick question about protecting categories...

Postby Jwrbloom » June 21st, 2010, 1:53 pm

Hmmm...finally doing some testing. I have set up to protect one Category to the level of 4. I logged off and clicked on the Category link in my navigation.

http://hoosierhoopsreport.com/category/ ... iting-101/

It redirected me to a Post I didn't click on:

http://hoosierhoopsreport.com/2010/04/t ... evel_req=4

Then I got the following message:

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.
Jwrbloom

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 22nd, 2010, 12:42 am

Jwrbloom wrote:If I protect a Category, does that also restrict the Posts within that Category? (would love for that to be the case)

Yes, if you protect an entire Category, that will also protect all Posts within that Category. However, to answer your second question - no. If you protect an entire Category, that will also block/protect the archive view for that Category too.

If you want to protect a group of Posts, but NOT protect the Category ( archive view ) they reside in, you can use Tag Level Access Restrictions instead. Just give each Post that should be protected a tag of say "members-only".

Then, go to: s2Member -> General Options -> Tag Level Restrictions,
and type in "members-only".
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 22nd, 2010, 12:45 am

Jwrbloom wrote:Hmmm...finally doing some testing. I have set up to protect one Category to the level of 4. I logged off and clicked on the Category link in my navigation.

http://hoosierhoopsreport.com/category/ ... iting-101/

It redirected me to a Post I didn't click on:

http://hoosierhoopsreport.com/2010/04/t ... evel_req=4

Then I got the following message:

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

Have you configured your Membership Options Page yet? Check your s2Member -> General Options, under Membership Options Page. Also, make sure that you're not protecting your Membership Options Page. That Page needs to remain public, otherwise, you could get redirect errors.

s2Member has internal routines that are suppose to prevent this from happening. You're not the first person to report this however. I'm adding this to my list of things to "go back over" before the next release; just in case something was missed.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jwrbloom » June 22nd, 2010, 6:40 am

Jason Caldwell wrote:Have you configured your Membership Options Page yet? Check your s2Member -> General Options, under Membership Options Page. Also, make sure that you're not protecting your Membership Options Page. That Page needs to remain public, otherwise, you could get redirect errors.

s2Member has internal routines that are suppose to prevent this from happening. You're not the first person to report this however. I'm adding this to my list of things to "go back over" before the next release; just in case something was missed.

Thanks. It worked like a charm. Not sure what you can do other than put a big disclaimer to make sure you do that. You probably have the General Options page set up to do in a certain order, and in my case I was testing the protection part before moving forward with applying it. You know what though, it's a simple fix, and with good support you're not leaving anyone exposed. Although I did test it on my most popular category. :D
Jwrbloom

Postby Jwrbloom » June 22nd, 2010, 6:44 am

Jason Caldwell wrote:
Jwrbloom wrote:If I protect a Category, does that also restrict the Posts within that Category? (would love for that to be the case)

Yes, if you protect an entire Category, that will also protect all Posts within that Category. However, to answer your second question - no. If you protect an entire Category, that will also block/protect the archive view for that Category too.

If you want to protect a group of Posts, but NOT protect the Category ( archive view ) they reside in, you can use Tag Level Access Restrictions instead. Just give each Post that should be protected a tag of say "members-only".

Then, go to: s2Member -> General Options -> Tag Level Restrictions,
and type in "members-only".

But I'm looking to be lazy and still get what I want. :D

I love the structure in how you protect things, so it's not really a complaint, just a request. I used a product before switching to WP called PHP Guard Dog, and it allowed you to protect pretty much the same way as your product. WIshlist Member for WP, you have click on Pages and Posts to determine if you want them protected. That takes a *remembering*.

It would be nice as an option for Category protection, "Do you want to make the Category Archive page available?" :D
Jwrbloom

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 22nd, 2010, 11:05 am

Duly noted. I'll consider this in a future release. ~Thanks for the great suggestions.

One of the things we're working on in a future release, is a panel on each Post/Page, so you don't have to go back to s2Member's option panel all the time. In addition, we're working to find ways of integrating a list of Post/Page/Category names, so that ID's are not needed either. Look for this in a coming release.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jwrbloom » June 22nd, 2010, 12:20 pm

I don't mind so much going back to the panel. I'd rather have a broad way to protect than always worrying about a panel, so while you may add it, please don't get rid or lessen the effectiveness of the options pages.

I would like to be able to protect Pages and have its sub-Pages also protected. That would be nice. : )
Jwrbloom

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 22nd, 2010, 12:23 pm

I hear ya. ~Thanks.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin