PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Non-Hierarchical Membership Levels?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Non-Hierarchical Membership Levels?

Postby hearwritenow » June 29th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Hi there

I want to use s2Member to run a course with three versions to it: my course is on MS Word - so the options are Word 2003, Word 2007, and Word 2010. It's the same course but with different screenshots. Members should not really be able to access a different version to the one they signed up for, and I eventually want to offer a fourth (bridging) course for members who have done the 2003 course before upgrading their computers to 2007/2010.

1. What would be the best way to set this up? If I use the membership levels, then 2010 members will have access to 2007 and 2003 material. Which I can live with, but it seems "messy". It's really only the bridging course that will be an upgrade membership. Am I missing a simpler option?

2. I want to use the Content Dripping option to deliver a new module each week. There are 24 modules spanning a 6-month course. So far I have created one page for each module (which simply contains two links to a .pdf and .avi). Is it necessary to duplicate this for each version of Word? Or is there a way to filter out the links to the "wrong" versions of Word based on the member's settings and use the same page to deliver a different set of links according to who has landed on the page?

3. I started creating a PayPal button but there doesn't seem to be an option for what I want to do, which is charge a monthly fee for 6 months and then stop charging the member but allow them continued access to the members' area. I.e., after 6 payments they have now fully paid for the course and can still access the material at any time.

I'm intending to hire someone to set this up for me as I am not up to speed on php and other intricacies. So I need to get my head around what I have to ask for.

Thank you. :)
hearwritenow

Re: Non-Hierarchical Membership Levels?

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 30th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Thanks for the great questions.
1. What would be the best way to set this up? If I use the membership levels, then 2010 members will have access to 2007 and 2003 material. Which I can live with, but it seems "messy". It's really only the bridging course that will be an upgrade membership. Am I missing a simpler option?

Yes, I recommend using just ONE Level. Use Level #1, and then apply Custom Capabilities, which can be assigned on a per-Button basis, and even on a per-User basis, making them MUCH more flexible that just Levels. Please have a look at this thread for further details. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=150&p=1164&hilit=custom+capabilities#p1160
2. I want to use the Content Dripping option to deliver a new module each week. There are 24 modules spanning a 6-month course. So far I have created one page for each module (which simply contains two links to a .pdf and .avi). Is it necessary to duplicate this for each version of Word? Or is there a way to filter out the links to the "wrong" versions of Word based on the member's settings and use the same page to deliver a different set of links according to who has landed on the page?

What you have sounds like it would do fine. However, I understand your desire to have a more dynamic solution. s2Member is capable of this too. Please have a look at the Advanced Conditionals section, under: s2Member -> API Scripting -> Advanced Conditionals. There are several code samples there. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Here is just a quick example.
Code: Select all
<?php if (is_user_logged_in() && current_user_can("access_s2member_level1")){ ?>

Some premium content for all Level 1 Members.

<?php if (current_user_can("access_s2member_ccap_2010")){ ?>
        Display links for 2010 as well.
    <?php } ?>

<?php if (current_user_can("access_s2member_ccap_2007")){ ?>
        Display 2007 as well.
    <?php } ?>

<?php } else { ?>
    Some public content.
<?php } ?>

3. I started creating a PayPal button but there doesn't seem to be an option for what I want to do, which is charge a monthly fee for 6 months and then stop charging the member but allow them continued access to the members' area. I.e., after 6 payments they have now fully paid for the course and can still access the material at any time.

Yes, you can do this. You just need to use the Full Button Code, instead of the Shortcode format. Whenever you create a Button with the s2Member Button Generator, you can take the Full Button Code, and add the "srt" attribute, which determines the number of times that the billing cycle will recur.
<input type="hidden" name="srt" value="6" />

Full Button Code, with the "srt" attribute.
This is for 6 installments, spanning a six month period.
<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
<input type="hidden" name="business" value="company@example.com" />
<input type="hidden" name="cmd" value="_xclick-subscriptions" />
<!-- Instant Payment Notification & Return Page Details -->
<input type="hidden" name="notify_url" value="http://www.example.com/?s2member_paypal_notify=1" />
<input type="hidden" name="cancel_return" value="http://www.example.com" />
<input type="hidden" name="return" value="http://www.example.com/?s2member_paypal_return=1" />
<input type="hidden" name="rm" value="2" />
<!-- Configures All Of The Checkout Fields -->
<input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="no_note" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="custom" value="www.example.com" />
<input type="hidden" name="currency_code" value="USD" />
<input type="hidden" name="page_style" value="paypal" />
<input type="hidden" name="item_name" value="$24.95/mo, for six months." />
<input type="hidden" name="item_number" value="1" />
<!-- Customizes Prices, Payments & Billing Cycle -->
<input type="hidden" name="src" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="sra" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="srt" value="6" />
<input type="hidden" name="a3" value="24.95" />
<input type="hidden" name="p3" value="1" />
<input type="hidden" name="t3" value="M" />
<!-- Displays The PayPal® Image Button -->
<input type="image" alt="PayPal®" style="border:0;" src="https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/btn_xpressCheckout.gif" />
</form>
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby hearwritenow » June 30th, 2010, 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will give this to my freelancer to work from; I'm afraid I'm only just barely grasping this stuff. :)
hearwritenow

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 7th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Sure, no problem. I was contacted today by your developer, I think -- b'cause there were similar questions.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin