PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Blank Page

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Blank Page

Postby snelson2678 » July 4th, 2010, 10:20 am

Every time I activate s2Members My whole site goes blank. I checked my error logs and don't see anything???
snelson2678

Re: Blank Page

Postby snelson2678 » July 6th, 2010, 9:00 am

I have been tinkering and I know see some error logs:
[Tue Jul 06 06:35:19 2010] [error] [client 64.61.122.42] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 338916116 bytes) in /home/charityw/public_html/members/wp-includes/functions.php on line 2956, referer: http://members.socialmediaschools.com/members-forum/

When I deactivate the s2Members the site works fine. How Much memory is required by the plugin?
snelson2678

Postby drbyte » July 7th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Change hosting company and all your nightmares will go a way
drbyte
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 7th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Yea, either change hosting providers, or try uploading s2Member via FTP, instead of activating it directly through WordPress. Memory is usually NOT an issue once s2Member is installed. The memory intensive routine is the installation itself. WordPress has to hold all of your existing plugins in memory, then unzip the entire s2Member distribution, and hold that in memory... all of that tends to go over a shared hosting allowance.

The solution is to use FileZilla and login via FTP.
Upload the /s2member folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby snelson2678 » July 7th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Yes but I can upload and install. The blank pages don't occur until after activated. Does that make sense?
snelson2678

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 7th, 2010, 7:34 pm

Gotchya. We'll, my guess is that you have a LOT of plugins running?

67108864 = 64 Megabytes. So ( although I can't be sure ), it sounds like you have enough plugins running together at the same time, that s2Member is pushing you over the edge of the 64MB limit imposed by your php.ini file. You can try adding this to your /wp-config.php file and see if it fixes the problem.

Code: Select all
define(’WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ’128M’);

That will double your current limit. If you're on shared hosting, this may not work though. Shared hosting usually has hard-coded limits that cannot be changed without upgrading your hosting plan.

s2Member is not a memory hog though, it just sounds like you're hitting an overall memory limit because of plugins. Think of it like this. If you walk around the grocery store and place lots of items in the basket, eventually, the basket gets very heavy. You need the basket, and everything in it, but there needs to be a stronger person there to push it now. That's what happens with lots of plugins.

For every plugin that you install, you add more code to WordPress. If you add enough code, eventually, you will hit a memory limit, because WordPress has to include so much data into every processing routine that it performs. Ultimately, you have to put your WordPress installation on a diet ( drop a few plugins ), or get a bigger server with more power/RAM to handle what you need it to run.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby wollix » July 8th, 2010, 5:46 am

I have the same problem. My WP 3.0 installation is fresh clean. I worked around and everything works.
But now, i dont realize what happens, the Member Site is blank.

What should i do?????
wollix

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 8th, 2010, 6:05 am

I see. If one or both of you "wollix" and/or "snelson2678" can provide me with a WP Dashboard login to your installation, I'll have a look for you; and try to offer a solution. You can contact me privately through this form. http://www.s2member.com/contact/

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 16th, 2010, 1:31 am

Update on this investigation.

With s2Member Pro, we were able to reproduce this bug, running on GoDaddy shared hosting. The problem has to do with the ionCube loader, and/or the Zend Optimizer that is required to run s2Member Pro. On GoDaddy shared hosting, there is a lengthy delay with any update to the php.ini file, which can cause "the white screen of death" temporarily during the transition.

In our testing ( thus far ), the bug does NOT have anything to do with s2Member Pro, but rather, with the delay in server configuration updates on the shared hosting platform offered by GoDaddy.

Possible solution: After updating your php.ini file, wait approximately 1 hour before re-testing your installation. If the problem persists, please contact GoDaddy Support for further assistance.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin