PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

.htaccess

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

.htaccess

Postby danisrael » July 8th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Having an issue with the .htaccess file being written to constantly when the s2Member plug is installed. Any log in or change to a file, causes a rewrite of the htaccess rewrite rules. Unfortunately it is clearing out other customization outside the # BEGIN WORDPRESS & #END WORDPRESS.

This seems to be calling the conventional rewrite.php function, as we can add code to get the rewrite to include our customization. However, I'm curious why this is happening. Why is this file being written (or overwritten) with every log in.

Using the following:

•Version: 3.1.2
•Stable tag: 3.1.2
•Framework: WS-P-3.0

•SSL Compatible: yes
•bbPress Compatible: yes
•WordPress Compatible: yes
•BuddyPress Compatible: yes
•WP Multisite Compatible: soon
•Multisite Blog Farm Compatible: no

•Tested up to: 3.0
•Requires at least: 3.0
•Requires: WordPress® 3.0+, PHP 5.2+

ALSO - is there anyway to prevent the loss of configuration when deactivating plugin. It makes it very difficult to troubleshoot if I have to completely setup the plugin setting every time I unplug & plug.
danisrael

Re: .htaccess

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 8th, 2010, 4:24 pm

Hi there, and thanks for your inquiry.

.htaccess file being written to constantly when the s2Member plug is installed.

Interesting. I've not seen or heard of that before. I can tell you that s2Member does NOT write anything to the .htaccess file for your WP installation, ever.

The only .htaccess files that s2Member writes are these:
  • /wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/.htaccess
  • /wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/.htaccess
Those are simply DENY FROM ALL files, to protect these back-end directories from public access.

ALSO - is there anyway to prevent the loss of configuration when deactivating plugin.

Yes, in your WP Dashboard, go to: s2Member -> General Options. Scroll to the very bottom, and expand the De-Activation Safeguards menu. You'll find what you're looking for there :D
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby danisrael » July 8th, 2010, 6:47 pm

Jason, thanks for your response. I did find the deactivation safety in your post on upgrading. Thanks.

I have also confirmed the s2Member plugin is involved with this occurance. But it seems to be in some conjuction with certain themes. Also, it is not writing directly...but the wordpress rewrite_mod is somehow getting called because of it.

Using a fresh WordPress site, and latest s2Members plug with the "Default WordPress Theme." Everything is grand. Although using another included theme, "Connections" I believe, everytime I log in with the s2members plug in activated, WordPress overwrites the .htaccess file. With the s2 plug deactivated, it does not.

Any advice on troubleshooting this since I can get it to do this every single time? Can you describe breifly, how you are taking over the login process...since login in at wp-admin is one of the items that causes this?

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Finally, for what it is worth...I don't believe this was an issue when we were staging the s2 integration ... however our first stage was WP2.9. The weirdness started during the 3.0 upgrade.
Last edited by danisrael on July 9th, 2010, 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
danisrael

Postby danisrael » July 8th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Well...making progress here. This is some type of compatibility issue with s2Member and another plug called WP Piclens. Neither plug-in causes this issue independantly...but when both are active, the .htaccess rewrite occurs.

http://liferain.com/downloads/wp-piclens-plus/
danisrael

Postby danisrael » July 9th, 2010, 8:31 am

I have confirmed this issue happens only when both of these plugs operate together. My guess is the PicLens is causing the issue. It has not been updated in over a year, and seems to be calling a depreciated version of the mod_rewrite() function from older (pre 3.0) WordPress core.

I'm not sure why the two are interfering with each other, but operate independently. But without current development for PicLens, I suspect it.
danisrael

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 16th, 2010, 1:18 am

Thanks for the followup on this. Much appreciated!

Any advice on troubleshooting this since I can get it to do this every single time? Can you describe breifly, how you are taking over the login process...since login in at wp-admin is one of the items that causes this?

s2Member does not make any calls to the mod_rewrite() function at all. The login process is not really taken over by s2Member, but s2Member does perform a "login redirection" based on your configuration under: s2Member -> General Options -> Login Welcome Page. You will find the routine that handles this, inside: /s2member/includes/functions/login-redirection.inc.php

@TODO - Check PicLens plugin compatiblity.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin