PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

s2Member v2.9.3 now available.

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

s2Member v2.9.3 now available.

Postby Jason Caldwell » May 8th, 2010, 12:53 am

[ Download the latest version of s2Member here ]

== Changelog for s2Member v2.9.3 ==

• Documentation fix. `s2Member -> API Scripting -> Advanced Conditionals -> Example #5` contained a PHP syntax error. This has been corrected in v2.9.3.
  • Bug fix. Infinite redirection loop on Download Limit Exceeded Page. This was possible under certain circumstances, based on configuration. Resolved in v2.9.3.
  • s2Member fully tested under WordPress® 3.0-beta2. Everything looks good. If you find any bugs, please report them.
  • New feature. A couple of Replacement Codes are now supported in the s2Member URI Level Access Restrictions. See: `s2Member -> General Options -> URI Level Access` for further details. This can be useful if you're running BuddyPress. For example, if you're using BuddyPress, and want to protect BuddyPress Groups, you could add URI protection, like this:
    Code: Select all
    /members/%%current_user_login%%/groups/
  • New feature. For protected File Downloads, you may now specify a list of file extensions that should be displayed Inline ( in your browser ) as opposed to being downloaded as an attachment. See: `s2Member -> Download Options -> Inline Extensions`. A new API Constant was also added, which reflects the value of this option: `S2MEMBER_FILE_DOWNLOAD_INLINE_EXTENSIONS`.
  • Documentation change. This is only relevant if you've been using the `s2member_xencrypt()` function to provide free access to specific files. The documentation for this has been changed. You should now use:
    s2member_free_file_download_key=<?php echo md5(s2member_xencrypt("file")); ?>
    instead of just `s2member_xencrypt()` by itself ( which is now deprecated ). The addition of the MD5 hash improves the security of s2Member on a whole, and also makes your links shorter. Please update your links. In future versions of s2Member, the older method will no longer be supported.
  • Compatibility fix. Calls to the PHP `mail()` function have been modified to exclude additional flag parameters. This makes s2Member more compatible with a variety of MTAs across different hosting providers.
  • New feature. A couple of Replacement Codes are now supported in the s2Member Login Redirection URL. See: `s2Member -> General Options -> Login Welcome Page -> Special Redirection` for further details. This can be useful if you'd like to redirect Members to their BuddyPress Profile, if/when BuddyPress is installed together with s2Member. For example, if you're using BuddyPress, and you want to redirect Members to their BuddyPress Profile page after logging in, you would setup a Special Redirection URL, like this:
    http://www.example.com/members/%%current_user_login%%/profile/
  • Please note. BuddyPress is NOT required to use s2Member. However, the combination of BuddyPress + s2Member is a popular choice among site owners.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: s2Member v2.9.3 now available.

Postby rossagrant » May 8th, 2010, 5:30 am

Jason,
I don't know how you keep doing this but S2 Member just keeps getting Better and Better!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for an amazing plugin.

My site launches in 4 weeks. As soon as it does and it starts generating some income (crosses fingers and prays to God!) there will definately be a nice donation coming your way!
Ross :)
rossagrant
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Guest » May 8th, 2010, 11:45 pm

I tried to do the automatic upgrade from 2.9.2 in the WP manage plugins page, and I got the following error:

Upgrade Plugin

Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/s ... .2.9.3.zip.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5370125 bytes) in /<mysitedirectoryinfogoeshere>/wp-includes/http.php on line 1358

Not sure if this glitch is with the new version or on my end?
Guest User
Guest User

Postby bjprc » May 9th, 2010, 12:49 am

I got the same fatal error, using WP 2.9.2

SOLUTION:
Go to wp-config.php and look for something like "define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '64M');" (the number could be different).
If it isn't there, add it. You may have to increase the number, but I wouldn't go above 128M.

Comments: in my case, the line was not there and I added it near the end. Downloaded without problems and working! Look for it in the root folder.
bjprc

Postby Brian Hatano » May 12th, 2010, 12:01 am

Having trouble with the automatic download, I decided to just load the new version into the plugin directory. This crashed my site. I couldn't even get into wp-admin. So I deleted everything relating to S2member, then re-uploaded it into the plugin directory. Going to activate it, I get the following error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ws_plugin__s2member_min_level_4_downloads() (previously declared in /homepages/00/d000000000/htdocs/*******/*******/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/functions/file-download-access.inc.php:96) in /homepages/00/d000000000/htdocs/*******/*******/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/functions/min-level-4-downloads.inc.php on line 40

Should I edit those files? Any ideas on a fix?

Thanks!

Brian
Brian Hatano

Postby Elizabeth » May 12th, 2010, 7:12 pm

rossagrant wrote:Jason,
I don't know how you keep doing this but S2 Member just keeps getting Better and Better!
THANK YOU SO MUCH for an amazing plugin.

My site launches in 4 weeks. As soon as it does and it starts generating some income (crosses fingers and prays to God!) there will definately be a nice donation coming your way!
Ross :)

Thank you, we appreciate the feedback.
Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » May 12th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Guest wrote:I tried to do the automatic upgrade from 2.9.2 in the WP manage plugins page, and I got the following error:

Upgrade Plugin

Downloading update from http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/s ... .2.9.3.zip.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 5370125 bytes) in /<mysitedirectoryinfogoeshere>/wp-includes/http.php on line 1358

Not sure if this glitch is with the new version or on my end?

Some hosting companies, only allow a limited amount of memory to php scripts. You may have to manually upgrade s2Member on your server through FTP.
Elizabeth

Postby Elizabeth » May 12th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Brian Hatano wrote:Having trouble with the automatic download, I decided to just load the new version into the plugin directory. This crashed my site. I couldn't even get into wp-admin. So I deleted everything relating to S2member, then re-uploaded it into the plugin directory. Going to activate it, I get the following error:
Fatal error: Cannot redeclare ws_plugin__s2member_min_level_4_downloads() (previously declared in /homepages/00/d000000000/htdocs/*******/*******/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/functions/file-download-access.inc.php:96) in /homepages/00/d000000000/htdocs/*******/*******/wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/functions/min-level-4-downloads.inc.php on line 40

Thanks!

Brian

The new version of s2Member will not replace the old one automatically. You may need to manually erase the s2Member installation from your server, and reinstall the new one.
Elizabeth

Postby Brian Hatano » May 14th, 2010, 3:08 am

Elizabeth wrote:Some hosting companies, only allow a limited amount of memory to php scripts. You may have to manually upgrade s2Member on your server through FTP.

Any guidance on doing that without crashing the install?
Brian Hatano

Postby Jason Caldwell » May 19th, 2010, 7:01 am

You can open the /wp-config.php file for your installation of WordPress®. There are instructions here on how to increase your memory limit. http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-c ... ted_to_PHP

* Note. Depending on your hosting provider, this does NOT always work though. Some hosting companies place an upper limit on what WordPress® can use, no matter what you configure. In those cases, your only option is to change hosting providers, or re-configure your server if you're on a dedicated box.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Brian Hatano » June 10th, 2010, 1:56 am

Any input as to how to safely upgrade s2Member via ftp?
Brian Hatano

Postby rossagrant » June 10th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Hey Brian. Download the latest version and just replace the main S2 Member directory.
The S2 member files and logs folders can stay as they are. All should be good to go. In the S2member settings there is a deactivation setting which tells S2 member to either save it's settings on deactivation or delete them.

Set this so it saves settings or you could lose all existing data if the plugin is deactivated.
Once you have done this you can deactivate/ or upgrade with no loss of data tables.
Hope this helps.
Ross
rossagrant
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby drbyte » June 10th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Brian Hatano wrote:Having trouble with the automatic download, I decided to just load the new version into the plugin directory. This crashed my site. I couldn't even get into wp-admin. So I deleted everything relating to S2member, then re-uploaded it into the plugin directory. Going to activate it, I get the following error:

Thanks!

Brian

The new version of s2Member will not replace the old one automatically. You may need to manually erase the s2Member installation from your server, and reinstall the new one.

Are we using FTP this time? Please Explain

Thank you Sam
drbyte
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby drbyte » June 10th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Jason

Can yo please Explain the Upgrade Process (Details). Some of us have members and differentially will need a better way rather than DELETE and UPGRADE.

I can see the Read me Text but not sure how safe in doing so. Differentially I do not want to loose my members
Especially when some are reporting errors

Thank you for the hard work

Sam
drbyte
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 19th, 2010, 6:25 pm

Hi Sam.

Inside your WordPress Dashboard, go to:
`s2Member -> General Options -> Deactivation Safeguards`
Turn Safeguards `on`, and click Save. This tells s2Member NOT to remove any existing data/options; should WordPress try to de-activate it inadvertently.

Now, you can either (upgrade automatically) by going to `WordPress® -> Plugins` and clicking "upgrade automatically". Or, if that fails with memory errors, you can upgrade manually by following these instructions:

1. Login via FTP, and delete the entire `/wp-content/plugins/s2member` directory.
You can leave `/plugins/s2member-logs/` and `/plugins/s2member-files/`.
2. Now upload the latest `/s2member` folder to `/wp-content/plugins/`.
3. Go to: `WordPress® -> Plugins -> s2Member`, and reactivate.
4. That's it. All existing options will remain intact.

s2Member is different than most plugins, in that, s2Member is capable re-activating itself automatically. So even with a manual upgrade, everything will load back up safely after the upload is completed.

* It is always a good idea to take your site offline during an upgrade.
We use this plugin for that: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp- ... ance-mode/

= Why do I get memory errors during automatic upgrade? =
This depends on your hosting provider and/or server configuration. Some web hosting companies impose very low limits on the amount of memory available to WordPress® during the execution of a single script. Since s2Member is a larger plugin, WordPress® may exceed conservative limits set forth by shared hosting companies. Don't feel bad, it's a very common problem. The solution is to upgrade manually. Memory limits only affect the WordPress® auto-installation/upgrade routine, not the actual functionality of WordPress® or s2Member.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby drbyte » June 19th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Thank you Jason..All went well. I did do a manual backup of the DB and the site before I did the upgrade as well. Just in-case

Thanks
drbyte
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 23rd, 2010, 2:30 pm

drbyte wrote:Thank you Jason..All went well. I did do a manual backup of the DB and the site before I did the upgrade as well. Just in-case

Thanks

Yep, that's always a great idea. ~Thanks for reporting back. Much appreciated.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Brian Hatano » July 29th, 2010, 3:00 am

My automatic upgrade seems to have been conflicting with another plugin.
It works fine now as long as I deactivate most plugins (not S2Member) before running the upgrade. I've tried to identify which plugin is the culprit, but there doesn't seem to be a single one. I wonder if some combination of plugins is causing the problem.

Anyways, to anyone looking to go the automatic upgrade route, other plugins may conflice (maybe by using some of the memory that is needed).
Brian Hatano

Postby gwatts » July 30th, 2010, 7:41 am

I've just got the free version of s2 Member and am thinking about getting the paid version. Does the paid version come with a bunch of video tutorials? It would be great to look at a video tutorial and just follow along. Cheers, George The Brit
gwatts

Postby CoachDavid » July 31st, 2010, 6:18 pm

WordPress "auto upgraded" and when I attempt to access the dashboard I get this message: You need [ s2Member v3.0.3+ ] to use this theme. Please install the plugin to satisfy system requirements.

I have downloaded the new upgrade. We attempted to do the upgrade on the server and still have the same error coming up.

Sure would love to be able to access my dashboard again.

S2Member is an awesome tool... just got to figure how to fix it now.

David
CoachDavid

Postby CoachDavid » August 1st, 2010, 9:51 pm

We went to the server company and requested a backdate from before the "upgrade" took place..then we followed the directions suggested above. The site is up.. and I am entirely more careful!

Still love what my S2Member does
CoachDavid

Return to s2Member Plugin