PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Missing Password Box in Admin Panel

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Missing Password Box in Admin Panel

Postby NickFox » July 15th, 2010, 12:45 pm

When I register a new user and then go to "Edit User" with my Administrator account, the Change Password inputs are missing. And also when I try to change the password using the "Member Profile Modifications" page, the password there is disabled.

thanks
Nick
NickFox

Re: Missing Password Box in Admin Panel

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 15th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Hi Nick. Thanks for the great question.

Was your test account created with the Username "demo" ?
As of s2Member v3.0.5+, you can now create a "demo" account for public testing. Demo accounts ( where the Username MUST be "demo" ), will NOT be allowed to change their password. This will allow you to share a demo `username` / `password` with potential Customers, without having to worry about the password for the special "demo" account being changed during a demonstration. Any other restrictions you need to impose, if any; must be done through custom programming, using s2Member's Advanced Conditionals. See `s2Member -> API Scripting -> Advanced Conditionals`.

In other words, this is a "feature". It only affects the account with a Username of "demo".
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby NickFox » July 24th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Jason

I think there may be an error here using the demo special account. If you try using the wordpress function:

user_pass_ok( 'demo', 'demo')

it fails. so unable to authenticate that user in custom code...

Nick
NickFox

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 28th, 2010, 6:39 am

Hi Nick. Thanks for reporting this.

However, I'm not aware of any conflict in this regard. s2Member only prevents the password from being changed, and that's it. So the use of this function should remain unaffected.

NOTE: the Password is NOT forced to a value of "demo". The password is whatever you set it to, whenever you originally created that User on your site. If you need to change the password for the special demo user, you will need to delete the User, and then re-create it with the password you prefer.

I can see where this might be confusing; but this might explain why that function call is failing for you. Don't assume the password is "demo". I hope that helps.

Please report back if none of this solves the problem for you.
I'll be happy to take a closer look if needed.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin