PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Paypal for products

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Paypal for products

Postby crash » July 23rd, 2010, 7:21 pm

Can the Paypal functionality be used to pay for products, or just for membership signups? Also, I would like for anyone who buys something to be automatically made a (free) member, so they can download their product from inside the membership area. Is that possible?

And can a person become a free member without going through Paypal?

Thanks!

>>>UPDATE - now that I am RingTFM, I am finding some of my own answers. It is digital products that I want to sell thru Paypal, so s2 does have that covered. But - what if a person wants to buy more than one thing? Is there a way to do that? I know I can code more than 1 thing into a Paypal button, but there are too many possible combinations to do that. Do I need to add a Paypal cart of some sort?

But I still haven't figured out the free member questions. Can they sign up without going thru Paypal, and can a paying user be automatically be signed up? LIke maybe they could tick a checkbox when they purchase something, if they want membership?
crash

Re: Paypal for products

Postby Jason Caldwell » July 28th, 2010, 5:46 am

Thanks for the great questions.
Can the Paypal functionality be used to pay for products, or just for membership signups?

s2Member is not ideally suited for this, but yes. You could use s2Member's Specific Post/Page Access for this. In a future release, we will add Cart functionality as well.
( that's a long-term goal, nothing right away ).

Also, I would like for anyone who buys something to be automatically made a (free) member, so they can download their product from inside the membership area. Is that possible?

And can a person become a free member without going through Paypal?

Yes, in your WP Dashboard, under: s2Member -> General Options -> Open Registration, you can turn on Open Registration. There is a link to your built-in registration form in that section as well. By default, a new User is a Free Subscriber, at Level #0.

Once they're logged in, a Free Subscriber can click a PayPal Button from their Login Welcome Page, and be upgraded to one of the official s2Member Levels [1-4]. You'll want to generate a PayPal Modification Button for this see: s2Member -> PayPal Buttons -> Modification Buttons

Or not. If you're only selling Specific Post/Page Access, you can just put those Specific Post/Page Buttons on the Login Welcome Page for them. Or any Post/Page for that matter. If you want to make sure they're a Free Subscriber before they purchase, and that they're logged in, put them on the Login Welcome Page ( recommended ). Or on a Page that you've protected with s2Member.
Also, I would like for anyone who buys something to be automatically made a (free) member, so they can download their product from inside the membership area. Is that possible?

I think I just answered this in a round-about way. But just to be clear. No. The only way to accomplish this is using the technique I described above. Either that, or you would need to get a developer to work directly with the code for s2Member/WordPress, and integrate a more custom solution for you.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin