PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Protecting multiple pages, without using page id's?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Protecting multiple pages, without using page id's?

Postby jamann » July 26th, 2010, 9:13 pm

I was wondering if there was a way to mass protect large numbers of wordpress pages, without typing in every single page ID. My wordpress site will end up using potentially hundreds of pages, and entering every single page ID to be protected seems like a tedious task. I am aware that you can use the "all" command, to protect all pages, however there are some pages that I want to leave open and unprotected. I am unaware of any way to add a "tag" or "category" to pages, so that option as well seems not possible, at least to my knowledge. Any Ideas?
jamann

Re: Protecting multiple pages, without using page id's?

Postby Elizabeth » August 2nd, 2010, 9:32 am

I am unaware of any way to add a "tag" or "category" to pages, so that option as well seems not possible, at least to my knowledge. Any Ideas?

Yes, this it possible.
From your Dashboard go to s2Member to General Options then Tag Access Restrictions, (11thh Down)
Elizabeth

Postby jamann » August 2nd, 2010, 7:12 pm

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your reply. Maybe I did not properly explain myself, I do understand how to use the Tag Access Restrictions as you pointed out. However the problem is that in wordpress, you can only apply tags, or categories to blog posts, and not pages. A wordpress page has no built in tag or category option. With the current version of s2member pro, it seems the only way to restrict large numbers of wordpress pages, is to enter in the individual page ID, one by one. I did try a plugin called "page tagger", once activated I was able to tag my pages, however s2member pro, seems incompatible with this option. And even entering in the tag restrictions, after installing the plugin and tagging specific pages, they still were not restricted. I know that I have s2member installed correctly, as I am successfully able to restrict blog posts, using either the restricted tag or category option.

From what I can tell, there just is now way yet to do this. I am hoping that there is still an option out there, or that the next version of s2member pro will incorporate short code restrictions. If I could add some short code to every page that i wanted restricted, and then have a short code restriction area in the settings menu that would be perfect. I have also read that there may be a s2member widget, that would allow you to restrict pages from the page editor screen, and that would be a great solution as well.
jamann

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 5th, 2010, 2:26 pm

I have also read that there may be a s2member widget, that would allow you to restrict pages from the page editor screen, and that would be a great solution as well.

Yes, this is coming VERY soon.

Thanks for reporting back on the Page Tagger plugin.
@TODO :: see if we can add compatiblity for the Page Tagger plugin, as this is very useful.

Until then. One way to restrict a large number of Pages, is to use the URI Access Restrictions inside s2Member's General Options. If you create your Pages with a slug that always starts with "member", or something like that... you can then apply a URI Access Restriction, to any URI that contains the word fragment "member".

Or you could shorten that perhaps.
Maybe something like "s2m-my-page-slug", and then enter this into the URI Restrictions panel.
Code: Select all
/s2m-
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 17th, 2010, 11:48 am

A change relevant to this topic was addressed with the release of s2Member v3.2.

- New Feature. s2Member now provides a small panel ( aka: `meta box` ) inside your Post/Page editing stations. This new panel makes it possible for you to restrict access to a Post/Page, or even a Custom Post Type ( on-the-fly ) without having to go back to your General Options panel all the time. Starting with s2Member v3.2+, you can also tell s2Member to require Custom Capabilities on a per Post/Page basis. So now, s2Member ( if you prefer ) can handle Custom Capabilities for you! Whenever you edit a Post/Page, you can tell s2Member to require certain Custom Capabilities that you type in, using comma delimited format. In other words, you will need to type in some of the trigger words that you used whenever you created your PayPal® Pro Forms and/or Standard PayPal® Buttons. This way your Members will have the proper Capabilities to view different kinds of content that you offer. All of this is optional.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin