PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Questions about alternative scenarios.

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Questions about alternative scenarios.

Postby sunny » July 30th, 2010, 9:58 am

Hello --

I am thinking about what can go wrong and reduce the future problems and manual interventions related to registration. I have a number of quick questions. I would appreciate if anyone could answer (Note that I use PayPal pro and S2member pro)

1. In a monthly subscription scheme (no trial period or refund), if we let s2member to handle EOT in its own way, when a person subscribes and cancels his membership immediately after it, does s2member demote him to a free subscriber only till the end of that month with all his privileges? And, also what is the reliability of this process. How well does it work?

2. For a person who canceled his subscription, if the person wants to reactivate his subscription should we prepare a membership upgrade form.

2. What happens if a member's recurring payment gets declined by PayPal for any reason (expired card, above limit, etc). How can we handle this situation in the best possible way.

3. Can we show which cards are on file for a customer (Only card type and last 2 to 4 digits would be sufficient) and remind them for expiring cards?

thanks in advance
sunny

Re: Questions about alternative scenarios.

Postby Elizabeth » July 30th, 2010, 10:59 am

I think you should enable the log routines on your installation, and do some test transactions to see the process for yourself. Because this will help you build confidence in the plugin.

1.In a monthly subscription scheme (no trial period or refund), if we let s2member to handle EOT in its own way, when a person subscribes and cancels his membership immediately after it, does s2member demote him to a free subscriber only till the end of that month with all his privileges? And, also what is the reliability of this process. How well does it work?

If there was no trial, and no refund, s2Member will cancel the membership only after the end of that month. It does this because even though the customer canceled, they paid for the month.

2. For a person who canceled his subscription, if the person wants to reactivate his subscription should we prepare a membership upgrade form.

This is set by you upon configuration.
Once the subscription is canceled:
- member is either deleted, & will have to register again;
or
- member is demoted to free subscriber, & will have to upgrade. So yes, in this case you will need to have a Modification Button.

2. What happens if a member's recurring payment gets declined by PayPal for any reason (expired card, above limit, etc). How can we handle this situation in the best possible way.

PayPal determines when the recurring payments get declined enough times to cancel the subscription. (By default this is set to 2 times) At this time, it relays the cancellation to s2Member,then s2Member cancels the membership.

3. Can we show which cards are on file for a customer (Only card type and last 2 to 4 digits would be sufficient) and remind them for expiring cards?

Using PayPal, safeguards the customer billing info; a great reason to use PayPal. You will not have access to the credit card information though. In my experience this is not a problem with people using PayPal. PayPal sends email alerts to notify the subscriber when the card is about to expire, etc.
Elizabeth

Postby sunny » July 30th, 2010, 11:55 am

Thanks, Elizabeth. I will enable log routines and run some test transactions. Could you tell me how to enable it? One last question, can the members see their past payments, and view and print bills and/or receipts?

thanks
sunny

Postby Elizabeth » August 2nd, 2010, 9:53 am

To enable log routines:
From your Dashboard ->s2Member -> PayPal Options -> PayPal Account Details -> Enable Logging Routines.

PayPal sends the customer a receipt for every payment. At any time they can log into PayPal and see a log of their transactions. s2Member does not report transaction logs to customers, PayPal handles that part.
Elizabeth

Postby sunny » August 2nd, 2010, 10:56 am

I found that Logging was already enabled in my installation. So, the log files were supposed to be under:

wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs

However, there is nothing in that directory other than a .htaccess file which includes one line:

deny from all

Any idea??
sunny

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 5th, 2010, 2:31 pm

there is nothing in that directory other than a .htaccess file

I would go back over your s2Member -> PayPal Options again.

1. Did you complete the PayPal IPN integration?
2. Did you complete the PayPal PDT integration?
3. Does the /s2member-logs/ directory have permissions set to 777?
4. Have you completed any test transactions, that would create a log entry?
5. Is logging enabled, and/or was it enabled when you ran test transactions?

Also, please make note of this bug; which is going to be corrected in the next release.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160&p=2100&hilit=possible+fix#p2100
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin