PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

IPN w/ other payments?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

IPN w/ other payments?

Postby Richard Pickett » July 31st, 2010, 5:38 pm

I currently use IPN already for my payment system on another website of mine with different products and services.

1. What does s2Member do with IPN charges not related to subscription?

2. Does the IPN call have to be done from paypal, or can I just "chain" it by having my current IPN handler curl the POST vars to s2Member for the subscription payments?

Thanks!
Richard Pickett

Re: IPN w/ other payments?

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 5th, 2010, 10:34 am

Hi Richard. Thanks for the great questions.
~ Very sorry for the delayed response.

1. What does s2Member do with IPN charges not related to subscription?

s2Member can handle any IPN response; subscription, buy now, cancellation, refund, etc... even virtual terminal transactions. That being said, there are only certain events that it actually responds to, and you can monitor what s2Member is doing, by activating the logging mechanism inside your Dashboard, under: s2Member -> PayPal Options -> Account Details -> Debugging/Logging.

If s2Member receives an IPN response that it cannot validate as having originated from your domain ( i.e. the "custom" value does NOT start with your domain name )... then it will silently reject that IPN response.

2. Does the IPN call have to be done from paypal, or can I just "chain" it by having my current IPN handler curl the POST vars to s2Member for the subscription payments?

Yes, you can "chain" them together, using a central IPN processing routine, which could analyze responses from PayPal, and then fork itself out to the installation that you determine is appropriate. This is usually not required though, because s2Member sets the IPN URL for each transaction through its Button Code... which will override the default configuration setting inside your PayPal account. There are further details on this inside your WP Dashboard, under: s2Member -> PayPal Options -> IPN Integration.

In addition, if you need to POST your own custom IPN responses, that did not even originate from PayPal, you can do that using a Proxy Key. The alternative format ( with a Proxy Key ), is also made available inside your WP Dashboard, under: s2Member -> PayPal Options -> IPN Integration.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Richard Pickett » August 5th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Jason Caldwell wrote:...This is usually not required though, because s2Member sets the IPN URL for each transaction through its Button Code... which will override the default configuration setting inside your PayPal account. There are further details on this inside your WP Dashboard, under: s2Member -> PayPal Options -> IPN Integration.

In addition, if you need to POST your own custom IPN responses, that did not even originate from PayPal, you can do that using a Proxy Key. The alternative format ( with a Proxy Key ), is also made available inside your WP Dashboard, under: s2Member -> PayPal Options -> IPN Integration.

That's powerful! Exactly what I needed to know! Thanks!
Richard Pickett

Postby Elizabeth » August 9th, 2010, 12:43 pm

closed
Elizabeth

Return to s2Member Plugin