PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

All BuddyPress "subscribers" see restricted page, why?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

All BuddyPress "subscribers" see restricted page, why?

Postby tridian » August 5th, 2010, 3:12 pm

I have installed S2 and it really looks like a great fit for BuddyPress (and it seems Jason likes BuddyPress as well so that's great). I've read the instructions multiple times and they are quite simple but the specific page that I set up via S2 > General Options > Page Access Restrictions is accessible to all of my BuddyPress members (set at "subscriber" role. Am I missing something? When I am logged out, the page is restricted and I'm redirected to my sales page perfectly, but I have created a test account as a "subscriber" role, not an "administrator" and as soon as I log in, I can see the restricted page. I had a few other "subscribers" log in and they can see the page as well.

I have even tried setting my test account role to "s2Member Level 1" manually (since my page requires level 4 access) and I can still see the protected page as soon as I log in. I know I have the right page id as well.

Anyone have any advice? I am running WP 3.0 and BuddyPress 1.2.5.2. I really think this is going to be a great fit and I want to purchase the Pro upgrade if this works so looking forward to a reply and thanks to all for your time.
tridian

Re: All BuddyPress "subscribers" see restricted page, why?

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 5th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Thanks for reporting this.

While I can't be sure what is causing this on your installation; it appears ( at first glance ) to be a configuration issue within s2Member's General Options panel. Please make sure that you have restricted the Page(s), in such a way that they require Level #4 access.

If you continue to have problems, please feel free to email me a Dashboard login.
~ I'll be happy to have a look for you.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby tridian » August 16th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Hey Jason, just checking in to see if you had any time to log in and take a look? I emailed the logins so thanks again for your time and your help and looking forward to hearing from you.
tridian

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 17th, 2010, 3:33 pm

I'm taking a look at this now. I apologize for the delay.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 17th, 2010, 3:54 pm

Investigation completed.
but the specific page that I set up via S2 > General Options > Page Access Restrictions is accessible to all of my BuddyPress members (set at "subscriber" role. Am I missing something? When I am logged out, the page is restricted and I'm redirected to my sales page perfectly, but I have created a test account as a "subscriber" role, not an "administrator" and as soon as I log in, I can see the restricted page. I had a few other "subscribers" log in and they can see the page as well.

Hi there. I just took at look at your configuration settings.

Here is what I did, and what I discovered.

1. Upgraded you to s2Member v3.2.
2. Created a new Login Welcome Page, temporary placeholder.
3. Changed your Login Welcome Page configuration option, to the new Page that I created.
Everything is working as expected now.

So the problem was this...
s2Member will NOT allow you to protect your Login Welcome Page from a specific Level.
Instead, it handles protection of this special Page - all by itself. The Page that you were testing with, was ALSO the Page you configured as your "Login Welcome Page", so there was a configuration conflict.

The Login Welcome Page is special, and it will ALWAYS be available
to any User who is logged in; regardless of Level.

The solution to this problem, was to create a separate Page to be used as your Login Welcome Page, in order to avoid this conflict. ~ Thank you VERY much for reporting your experience with s2Member. I'll see if we can find a way to report this conflict back to a site owner; that way further details can be provided inside your Dashboard, instead of this confusion. @TODO

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby tridian » August 23rd, 2010, 7:21 pm

Jason, thanks very much for the detailed investigation and reply. Just wanted to confirm that all is working as it should just like you said. I see the problem now and it makes sense so maybe putting a little documentation in will help people in the future, but I really appreciate you helping me out! Now it's on to the pro version!
tridian

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 27th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Will do. Thanks for reporting back on this topic.
~ Much appreciated.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin