PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Fatal Error on Upgrade - not compatible with other plugins?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Fatal Error on Upgrade - not compatible with other plugins?

Postby photographysuccess » August 16th, 2010, 6:21 pm

I love this plugin, however during today's upgrade, my admin/dashboard crashed with "fatal memory errors" etc - which we have all seen before.

My memory is set to 128 with no other complications.

I have had to manually uninstall this plugin directly from the server (my entire admin window was not available) - and now everything works great.

Does anyone know if this plugin upgrade in incompatible with certain others?

Thanks!
photographysuccess

Re: Fatal Error on Upgrade - not compatible with other plugi

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 17th, 2010, 4:04 pm

Hi there. Thanks for reporting your experience. Much appreciated.

This is a fairly common issue with larger plugins like s2Member. The solution is to install manually via FTP, as you've described. On a dedicated server, this is usually not an issue, but depending on your hosting provider, an upper memory-limit, or even a script execution timeout can occur through WordPress.

== Upgrading To The Latest Version ==

You can either (upgrade automatically) by going to `WordPress® -> Plugins` and clicking "upgrade automatically". If that fails with memory errors, you can upgrade manually by following these instructions:

1. Go to: `s2Member -> General Options -> Deactivation Safeguards`. Turn Safeguards `on`, click Save.
2. Now you can safely deactivate s2Member by going to `WordPress® -> Plugins -> s2Member`.
3. Login via FTP, and delete the entire `/wp-content/plugins/s2member` directory.
You can leave `/plugins/s2member-logs/` and `/plugins/s2member-files/`.
4. Now upload the latest `/s2member` folder to `/wp-content/plugins/`.
5. Go to: `WordPress® -> Plugins -> s2Member`, and reactivate.
6. That's it. All existing options will remain intact.

= Why do I get memory errors during automatic upgrade? =
This depends on your hosting provider and/or server configuration. Some web hosting companies impose very low limits on the amount of memory available to WordPress® during the execution of a single script. Since s2Member is a larger plugin, WordPress® may exceed conservative limits set forth by shared hosting companies. Don't feel bad, it's a very common problem. The solution is to upgrade manually. Memory limits only affect the WordPress® auto-installation/upgrade routine, not the actual functionality of WordPress® or s2Member.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin