PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Multisite usage and questions...

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Multisite usage and questions...

Postby Jwrbloom » August 24th, 2010, 12:35 pm

I'm still a little perplexed on how multisite actually works, but here is how I want it to work. :D

I'd like to create a network of sites, where Users register for one and get access to them all with one single User account without any manual interaction. Additionally, I'd like to have a payment portal (such as s2 Member) that allows me to carry over a User's role from one site to another. So if the User subscribes to one site, User has access to that type of content across the multiple sites.

I see that S2 Member has become multisite functional, but in checking it out, I'm not sure how that all carries over into what I need/want.

Thanks.
Jwrbloom

Re: Multisite usage and questions...

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 30th, 2010, 8:14 am

Hi there.Thanks for the great question.

Yes, s2Member ( and s2Member Pro ) are both compatible with Multisite Networking. Not only are they both compatible, but s2Member has built-in security features that can be enabled for use on a Multisite Blog Farm, where each Customer will become a Member of your "Main Site", and also a Blog Owner.

In addition, s2Member's Multisite Networking features make it possible to extend the s2Member plugin, into an offering of your own. Making it possible for each of your Members/Blog Owners, to ALSO make use of the s2Member plugin, and run membership sites of their own. All of this is possible with a single installation of WordPress, and with a single installation of s2Member.

Now. Due to complexities involved with Multisite Blog Farming, and the number of potential security issues that are involved with a Multisite Blog Farm installation, we ONLY provide support to Blog Farms that purchase our Network Support Package, as detailed here: http://www.s2member.com/prices/

Our Network Support Package comes with full documentation on how to use s2Member in a Mulitisite environment, detailed instructions for running s2Member ( and s2Member Pro ) with a Multisite Blog Farm, a list of best practices, free installation by our staff, as well as ongoing support & troubleshooting assistance.

I'd like to have a payment portal (such as s2 Member) that allows me to carry over a User's role from one site to another. So if the User subscribes to one site, User has access to that type of content across the multiple sites.

By default, s2Member's Multisite integration allows each site in your network to have a different set of Members, all with different capabilities. However, what you're describing is certainly possible. On a Multisite Network, there is only ONE database table for Users/Members, so adding the single sign-on functionality that you're describing could be included with the installation service we provide.

If you decide to purchase the Network Support Package,
please be sure to include this in your installation request after checkout.

https://www.s2member.com/multisite-network-license/
Coupon Code: S2MEMBER-PRO-SAVE-10
saves you 10% off the purchase of a Network Support Package.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jwrbloom » August 30th, 2010, 8:35 am

I'm not running a blog farm, or at least in the way you're describing it. I'll be the owner of all these different sites, and my main intent is just to allow each "site" to have their own look, taking it beyond just giving them their own page on my main site and using it as a portal.

The only way to get to what I want is buying the network package, or the only way to get support/help for what I want is to buy the network package? If it's the latter, I'll play around with it to see if I can figure it out. Either way, I can't afford the expense as you have it just yet. :D

Basically, I want Users and their roles to carry over from site to site. I'm not selling blogs.
Jwrbloom

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 30th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the reply back.
Jwrbloom wrote:I'm not running a blog farm, or at least in the way you're describing it. I'll be the owner of all these different sites, and my main intent is just to allow each "site" to have their own look, taking it beyond just giving them their own page on my main site and using it as a portal.

The only way to get to what I want is buying the network package, or the only way to get support/help for what I want is to buy the network package? If it's the latter, I'll play around with it to see if I can figure it out. Either way, I can't afford the expense as you have it just yet. :D

Basically, I want Users and their roles to carry over from site to site. I'm not selling blogs.

Gotchya. Well, if it were an easy patch I'd be happy to offer you some assistance. However, this will require a more in-depth approach that is not easily documented. If you'd like for us to integrate this specific feature for you, I'll be happy to accept either a donation in exchange for this feature addition, or if you'd prefer that we do a professional installation specifically for you, please feel free to submit a request here: http://www.s2member.com/professional-installation/
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin