PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Integrating Aweber into a s2membership

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Integrating Aweber into a s2membership

Postby tormenta » August 27th, 2010, 5:09 pm

Hi,

I am about to launch a site. The first version will give access to a classroom series for FREE. Access to new classes will be given as a protected link sent via email on an AWeber autoresponder.

This how I had hoped it would work:

1) person registers without a password (as set up inside General Options > Custom Registration Fields >Allow Custom Passwords during Registration?)
2) person receives confirmation email from Aweber
3) when they confirm, they get to a page telling them to expect their password via email
4) Aweber or s2member sends their password to them via email
Bottom line: they only get a password to access the site AFTER they have confirmed their email
OR
1) person registers with a password
2) person receives a confirmation email from Aweber
3) when they confirm they go directly into the classroom page, like the setup as if they had paid, except in this case, it's free.
Bottom line: they only get to access the site AFTER they have confirmed their email

The problem that I have run into, I believe, is because a free Level #0 access does not pass through Paypal and therefore Awebers email parser is not engaged and therefore Aweber can't pass password or other information back via email. So what I have now is:
1) person signs up with password on action= register.
1a) their web browser goes to the login page that says you can login now. :(
2) person receives a confirmation email
3) when they confirm, they go to a page explaining that they will receive their classes via email series and that they will always need to login first to access the class.
Bottom line: they have membership access before they confirm and I have no way of knowing whether their email is legit or not. I'm also maintaining 2 systems, aweber and s2 member, because they are not connected in any way.

I'd also love, love, LOVE the ability of showing a person when they logged in what class they are on so that there would be a single login point that would change based on the amount of time since they had signed up. Right now, my visitors will only know which class they are at by looking at the latest emails and most people's email files are a mess. I'm seeing that this will be administrative nightmare over time. Wishlist does this, but they are not supporting Buddypress so I can't go there.

So if any of these are doable, I would love to know how. I think this is an awesome product, it's just taking me longer than I have available to wrap my head around it.
Thanks!
tormenta

Re: Integrating Aweber into a s2membership

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 30th, 2010, 9:00 am

Hi there. Thanks for the great question.

Here's how I would handle this.

1. Use two Levels.
  • Level #0 ( initial FREE registration,
    NO access to anything though, guard all of your content at Level #1 )
  • Level #1 ( requires FREE registration, plus AWeber confirmation )

2. Place this code snippet into a file called: my-hacks.php
Save it here: /s2member/includes/functions/my-hacks.php
Code: Select all
<?php
function wp_new_user_notification(){} /* Disables New User Email with password. */
?>

3. Now, you *could* integrate AWeber directly into s2Member.
In your Dashboard, see: s2Member -> API List Servers -> AWeber.

At any rate, the next step is to put together a script of your own, that will automatically upgrade an existing Free Subscriber, to an official Level #1 Member, granting them access to all of the content that you've protected from Level #1 access. Here is the code needed for that:

With AWeber, send your Subscribers a link, that points to a URL like this:
http://yoursite.com/gain-access/?email=user@example.com
( you must create the Page /gain-access/ )

So, in a Post/Page that you create, add something like this:
( you'll need the Exec-PHP plugin installed to use PHP code in Posts/Pages ).
Code: Select all
<?php
if($user = get_user_by_email($_GET["email"]))
    {
        $user = new WP_User($user->ID);
        $user->set_role("s2member_level1");
        echo 'Thank you. Access granted. You're now at Level #1.';
    }
?>
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Integrating Aweber into a s2membership

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 30th, 2010, 9:11 am

I'd also love, love, LOVE the ability of showing a person when they logged in what class they are on so that there would be a single login point that would change based on the amount of time since they had signed up. Right now, my visitors will only know which class they are at by looking at the latest emails and most people's email files are a mess. I'm seeing that this will be administrative nightmare over time. Wishlist does this, but they are not supporting Buddypress so I can't go there.

I'm not sure I understand exactly. Can you please elaborate on this for me?

Also, you may want to have a look at s2Member's Simple Conditionals.

In your Dashboard, see:
s2Member -> API Scripting -> Simple Conditionals.
Make sure you're running s2Member v3.2.3+.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin