PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

s2m and Mailchimp sign up

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

s2m and Mailchimp sign up

Postby dancarp » May 10th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Hello;
Not much in the forums on Mailchimp. I couldn't find answers to these questions.

1. I initially had set up Mailchimp as my autoresponder-signup system. I needed secure download options and was advised to get s2m. which I did. Do I still need my original sign up form or do I need to delete it?

2. When does the data transfer from s2m to Mailchimp- at the registration or at the confirmation email from Mailchimp?

3. I was advised by Mailchimp to be sure to identify the actual field names from the actual signin source code to set up in s2m to ensure correct input. I have not been able to see those field names on the default fields like first name, last name. I used the Mailchimp field names for my custom fields.
I also had a multi checklist field in Mailchimp and have set it up in s2m as follows:

field name in Mailchimp "group[17] [??] where [??] is the field for each item coded as 1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128,256

s2m custom field type= Checkboxes(multi options) name = group[17]

option value | option label (pipe delimited)
1|Web Search / Blog
1|Facebook
1|Twitter
1|1 on 1 Coaching
1|Group Coaching
1|Home Study
1|Speaking
1|Workshop
1|Seminar

Do I need to identify each element with the element id [??] ?

MAILCHIMP Source code: (or view here - http://eepurl.com/cYHmA )

Code: Select all
<div id="interestTable">
   <div id="mergeRow-100-17" class="mergeRow dojoDndItem mergeRow-interests-checkboxes">
      <label>How Did You Find Us?</label>
      <div class="field-group groups">
         <ul class="interestgroup_field" id="interestgroup_field_435045">
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_1" name="group[17][1]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_1">via Web Search/Blog</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_2" name="group[17][2]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_2">via Facebook</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_4" name="group[17][4]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_4">via Twitter</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_8" name="group[17][8]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_8">One On One Coaching</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_16" name="group[17][16]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_16">Group Coaching</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_32" name="group[17][32]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_32">Home Study Course</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_64" name="group[17][64]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_64">Speaking Event</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_128" name="group[17][128]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_128">Workshop</label></li>
            <li class="interestgroup_row"><input type="checkbox" id="group_256" name="group[17][256]" value="1">&nbsp;<label for="group_256">Seminar</label></li>
         </ul>
      </div>

Thanks, Dan
Last edited by Cristián Lávaque on May 10th, 2011, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Improve code readability. http://www.primothemes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2780
dancarp

Re: s2m and Mailchimp sign up

Postby Cristián Lávaque » May 10th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Hello Dan. :)

dancarp wrote:1. I initially had set up Mailchimp as my autoresponder-signup system. I needed secure download options and was advised to get s2m. which I did. Do I still need my original sign up form or do I need to delete it?

You can still have the sign up form if you want, but when people move to a level that has a MailChimp list configured for it in the MailChimp integration he'll be added to it.

2. When does the data transfer from s2m to Mailchimp- at the registration or at the confirmation email from Mailchimp?

I believe it's after s2Member gets notified by the gateway via IPN that he paid. Or on successful registration in the case of a free account.

3. I was advised by Mailchimp to be sure to identify the actual field names from the actual signin source code to set up in s2m to ensure correct input. I have not been able to see those field names on the default fields like first name, last name. I used the Mailchimp field names for my custom fields.

If you need to send custom information to MailChimp you will need to look at the Notifications API and create a more advanced integration that passes the custom values.

What is the flow of the person from guest to paid member and where do you want to add them to the list with what data?
Cristián Lávaque http://s2member.net
Is s2Member working for you? Please rate it Image at WordPress.org. Thanks! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby angelar » December 26th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Hi. I am trying to integrate the mailchimp with 2 different groups. One for free subscribers and one for level one members, can you look at this screenshot and tell me if this is correct? I cant believe I couldnt find one thing on this (even the video didnt get into this detail). I just need to know if the format is correct.

The LIST name is HLOClub but then I have two different groups - Free Subscribers and Exclusive Club Members

Thanks so much! Am new to this forum and s2 and have a feeling it may be too complex for me.

Angela
s2mailchimp.png
mail chimp integration
angelar

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 27th, 2011, 6:03 am

Hi Angela.

This post may help: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10151#p33852

Could you show me a screenshot of the groups you created in MailChimp?
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby angelar » December 27th, 2011, 12:59 pm

Hi. Here is the screenshot below of mailchimp groups. So I have one list, and the group title is HLOClub with 2groups : Free Subscribers and Exclusive Club Members. So should the code look like this?

4c24f70d11::HLOClub::Free Subscribers
4c24f70d11::HLOClub::Exclusive Club Members

Thanks!
mchimps2.png
angelar

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 28th, 2011, 5:45 am

Yeah, I think that's correct.

Now register some test accounts and see if it all works right. :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby loewenberg » December 28th, 2011, 9:59 am

hi. I have a similar problem with S2member and mailchimp. My website visitors complete an application, they are held pending our approval, and when we promote them to level I, they are supposed to be added automatically to the mailchimp mailing list. I am using PayPal pro forms and there is no financial transaction associated with our website; applying and joining are free. The notification e-mails go out with no problem but the membership information is not being sent to mailchimp. In the dashboard configuration, we have the mailchimp list number entered properly under the members level I area in the List Server section; is there something else I should be looking at?

my site is in maintenance mode but I would be happy to give you credentials to get in if you would like.

Thank you
--
mike loewenberg
mesh business solutions, inc.
new city, ny
http://meshbiz.com
websites, graphics design, custom programming
loewenberg

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 29th, 2011, 4:55 am

Mike, could you post a screenshot of your MailChimp panel in s2Member, and your groups page in MailChimp?
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby loewenberg » December 29th, 2011, 10:26 am

hi. I had originally just configured mailchimp in the s2member dashboard with the list ID without a group designation. That didn't work, prompting my post. After reviewing the other posts, I added a group and then promoted a member to level 1 and the data still did not go to the new group list in mailchimp. I have attached two screenshots: one of my mailchimp set up and one with as to member.

to summarize my business requirement, website visitors are registering for level 0 and then they are approved by an administrator, promoting them to level I. There is no financial aspect to the transaction. We have written some custom code so that when a member is promoted, an e-mail is sent to specific addresses. This customization, by the way, is in the functions.php file.

Thanks again for your help.

s2Member API - List Servers ‹ GroupDirect — WordPress.png

List Groups for GroupDirect Member Signup - MailChimp.png
--
mike loewenberg
new city, ny
loewenberg

Postby angelar » December 29th, 2011, 5:38 pm

angelar wrote:Hi. Here is the screenshot below of mailchimp groups. So I have one list, and the group title is HLOClub with 2groups : Free Subscribers and Exclusive Club Members. So should the code look like this?

4c24f70d11::HLOClub::Free Subscribers
4c24f70d11::HLOClub::Exclusive Club Members

Thanks!
mchimps2.png

Mine worked for lists and groups
angelar

Postby loewenberg » December 29th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Mine worked for lists and groups

@angelar - did you have to do anything with the field names on either side? My setup appears to be consistent with yours but mine doesn't work.

Thanks.
--
mike loewenberg
new city, ny
loewenberg

Postby angelar » December 29th, 2011, 6:50 pm

Mike, Here are two screenshots of my MC and S2 backend. There were some changes I made to MC that did make it work.

Angela

chimp2.png

chimp3.png
angelar

Postby loewenberg » January 2nd, 2012, 2:12 pm

Hi. I still cannot get my S2Member implementation to send the new use enrollment information to mailchimp. I've added a group and tried it there and also have set it up directly with the list (no groups) but still NG.

I am sending 3 fields: the email address, first name and last name (the latter two are formatted as text).

I may have identified a potential issue: there is no smtp server running on the system hosting the site. We are using an smtp plugin to send mail for the contact7 form. Does S2M use mail to send the data to the list or does it use SOAP and the mailchimp API?

We have S2M configured to add a new member to our mailchimp database when the user is promoted from level 1 to level 2. This will be a manual process where the admin will change the user role in the dashboard. The site is in maint mode so I can't show it to you. I'd be happy to provide a login so you can look around!

Thanks
--
mike loewenberg
new city, ny
loewenberg

Postby Raam Dev » January 3rd, 2012, 4:26 pm

Hi Mike,

You can use the WP Mail SMTP plugin to configure an SMTP server that WordPress, and thereby s2Member, will use when sending emails. Can you try that?

Another useful plugin is EMail Log, which gives you a log of all the emails sent by WordPress (including anything s2Member sends).
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby loewenberg » January 3rd, 2012, 4:36 pm

Hi. We have the 'configure SMTP' plugin installed and use it to send the results of our contact form7 submission. It's set up to support our gmail account. would using WP Mail SMTP cause a conflict?
--
mike loewenberg
new city, ny
loewenberg

Postby Raam Dev » January 4th, 2012, 6:20 pm

If you already have an SMTP plugin installed, you shouldn't install another one. The Configure SMTP plugin basically does the same thing as WP Mail SMTP.

Could you please Enable Logging Routines (WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Options -> PayPal Account Options -> Enable Logging Routines), conduct another test, and then provide us with the contents of wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/aweber-api.log?
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby face4radio » January 6th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Since this seems to be the place for MailChimp questions, I'll add my own. I've integrated S2M and MailChimp and am seeing signups go through. However, only the user's first name is showing up in MailChimp even though both first and last names are saved on the new WP User.

Here are myRegistration/Profile Fields & Options settings. Thanks!
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-01-06 at 5.37.09 PM.png
face4radio

Postby loewenberg » January 9th, 2012, 5:55 pm

Raam Dev wrote:If you already have an SMTP plugin installed, you shouldn't install another one. The Configure SMTP plugin basically does the same thing as WP Mail SMTP.

Could you please Enable Logging Routines (WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Options -> PayPal Account Options -> Enable Logging Routines), conduct another test, and then provide us with the contents of wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/aweber-api.log?

hi. Thank you for your response. The transactions on my website have no financial aspect to them so there is no PayPal transaction that can appear in the logs; when I promoted my users from level I to level II, nothing appeared in the logging directory. I did install the e-mail plug-in and that utility did show that the proper e-mails were being sent out to the people we had programmed into the system.

The mailchimp transaction still does not work properly. I have told S2 member to send the user's details to mailchimp when the user is promoted from level I to level 2. I have the list ID in the mailchimp configuration screen in S2 member. Whether I include a group ID or not, the information is not being sent to mailchimp.

I have attached a screenshot of the e-mail log settings so you could see the e-mails that were sent out when I promoted the member from level 1 to 2.

I appreciate any guidance you can give me to try to resolve this issue. My client site is in maintenance mode but I will be happy to give you credentials to get to the backend if you would like to see it. PM me or send mail to mike [at] meshbiz [dot] com. thanks!
Attachments
Email Log ‹ GroupDirect — WordPress.png
--
mike loewenberg
new city, ny
loewenberg

Postby Raam Dev » January 9th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Hi Mike,

If logging is enabled, you should see stuff for MailChimp being logged to wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/mailchimp-api.log. Is that log file empty even after testing the promotion process? (If so, have you double-checked that logging is enabled?)
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby loewenberg » January 10th, 2012, 11:21 am

hi Raam. I have enabled logging in the dashboard under S2member/PayPal options/PayPal account details. When I promote the user from level I to level II, nothing is in the logging directory. I appreciate your help in identifying any next steps to get my client's site ready for production. thanks
--
mike loewenberg
new city, ny
loewenberg

Postby face4radio » January 11th, 2012, 1:17 am

I hate to be a pain, but does anyone have any ideas about why I'm not seeing last names being submitted to MailChimp (my question a few days ago)? Has anyone had this happen before, or is something I can fix by changing my settings? Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,
- C
face4radio

Postby Raam Dev » January 11th, 2012, 12:19 pm

loewenberg: When you promoted the user from Level 1 to Level 2, did you click the checkbox that says 'Re-process List Servers:'?

Screen shot 2012-01-11 at 12.18.07 .png

face4radio: Could you please share the relevant log entries from /wp-content/plugins/s2member-logs/mailchimp-api.log? (If you don't see anything there, please make sure logging is enabled in WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Options -> PayPal Account Options -> Enable Logging Routines.)
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby face4radio » January 11th, 2012, 12:48 pm

I'm running the site on my local server for testing. I didn't have logging turned on before, so I turned it on and ran another test. Here's the log output:

PHP v5.3.1 :: WordPress® v3.3.1 :: s2Member® v111220
Memory 13.46 MB :: Real Memory 14.00 MB :: Peak Memory 13.75 MB :: Real Peak Memory 14.00 MB
bbt.local/wp-login.php?action=register
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1
array (
'function' => 'process_list_servers',
'func_get_args' =>
array (
0 => 'subscriber',
1 => '0',
2 => 'test3',
3 => 'testing',
4 => 'b3230056@nwldx.com',
5 => 'Testuser',
6 => 'Three',
7 => '127.0.0.1',
8 => true,
9 => true,
10 => 11,
),
'api_method' => 'listSubscribe',
'list' => '407dcb2e78',
'list_id' => '407dcb2e78',
'merge_array' =>
array (
'MERGE1' => 'Testuser',
'MERGE2' => 'Three',
'OPTIN_IP' => '127.0.0.1',
'OPTIN_TIME' => '2012-01-11 17:35:46',
),
'api_merge_array' =>
array (
'MERGE1' => 'Testuser',
'MERGE2' => 'Three',
'OPTIN_IP' => '127.0.0.1',
'OPTIN_TIME' => '2012-01-11 17:35:46',
),
'api_email_type' => 'html',
'api_double_optin' => true,
'api_update_existing' => false,
'api_replace_interests' => true,
'api_send_welcome' => false,
'api_response' => true,
'api_success' => true,
'api_properties' =>
NC_MCAPI::__set_state(array(
'version' => '1.3',
'errorMessage' => '',
'errorCode' => '',
'apiUrl' =>
array (
'scheme' => 'http',
'host' => 'api.mailchimp.com',
'path' => '/1.3/',
'query' => 'output=php',
'prefix' => 'us2',
),
'timeout' => 300,
'chunkSize' => 8192,
'api_key' => '764cd2e2d6e7dcca00e6e9092c8857c8-us2',
'secure' => true,
)),
)

I can see the first and last names of the user I entered in func_get_args array indices 5 and 6 and in the merge_array as MERGE1 and MERGE2. However, when I look at MailChimp all I have is "Testuser" in the Name field:
Screen shot 2012-01-11 at 12.46.19 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-01-11 at 12.46.19 PM.png (11.99 KiB) Viewed 753 times
face4radio

Postby Raam Dev » January 11th, 2012, 3:09 pm

face4radio: I'm going to consult another support rep and will get back to you. Thank you for your patience.
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby loewenberg » January 12th, 2012, 12:34 pm

loewenberg wrote:hi Raam. I have enabled logging in the dashboard under S2member/PayPal options/PayPal account details. When I promote the user from level I to level II, nothing is in the logging directory. I appreciate your help in identifying any next steps to get my client's site ready for production. thanks

bump, please!
--
mike loewenberg
new city, ny
loewenberg

Next

Return to s2Member Plugin