PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

503: Service Temporarily Unavailable

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Postby danisrael » September 3rd, 2010, 11:25 am

Have a site with around 500 users that is just reaching 30 days old. Now I'm starting to have users receiving this error:

Too many IP addresses accessing one secure area!
Please contact Support if you require assistance.

Not sure whether the 30 days old is an issue or whether there is Link Sharing taking place.

Can you advise?
danisrael

Re: 503: Service Temporarily Unavailable

Postby volcano » September 5th, 2010, 8:14 pm

I am having the same error for one user. I only have 10 users. This error comes up for this user no matter what IP address or computer is used. So far it is only affecting one user. Anyone know a fix.
volcano

Postby taragentile » September 7th, 2010, 5:23 am

I'm having the same exact problem. 2 users out of 200.

I'm currently running s2member with Buddypress and everything is up to date.
taragentile
Guest User
Guest User

Postby Nemrod Kedem » September 7th, 2010, 7:30 am

Hi,

I had that same problem and it seems that cron was not running on the hosting server and IP punishments were not cleared. Enabling cron tab on the server removed the problem.
Just consult your WP hosting...

Good luck,
Nemrod Kedem
Nemrod Kedem

Postby frost » September 7th, 2010, 9:04 am

I am getting the same message:

Too many IP addresses accessing one secure area!
Please contact Support if you require assistance.

I even move the ips up to 20 allowed and still get the message.
frost

Postby danisrael » September 7th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Nemrod,

Using dreamhost. How can I test to see if this job is running?
danisrael

Postby Jason Caldwell » September 7th, 2010, 1:33 pm

Hi all. Thanks for reporting this important issue.

We've just released s2Member v3.2.5 early to address this concern:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/s2member/download/

-- IP Restrictions ( reset ).
Several site owners have reported issues with s2Member's IP Restrictions. A full investigation has been performed. Although no bugs were found, we suspect that recent reports on this topic are related to a combination of:

a.) improvements in recent versions of s2Member,
with respect to IP Restrictions ( adaptive concurrency limits );

b.) lack of support ( on the part of s2Member ) for resetting
IP Restriction Logs after changes in configuration.

In this release of s2Member, we've introduced a new tool for site owners, which allows you to Reset IP Restriction Logs manually, at anytime you like. For further details, please see: `s2Member -> General Options -> IP Restrictions` ( look for the new button titled: `Reset IP Restriction Logs`. ).

As always, please let us know if you have any questions/concerns.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby markelshark » September 13th, 2010, 10:22 am

Jason, I have users who are still getting 503 errors AFTER I reset the logs! Please help. How can I disable this feature, or delete/view IPs in the database?
markelshark

Postby danisrael » September 27th, 2010, 8:49 pm

markelshark, Any luck viewing the IPs?
danisrael

Postby markelshark » September 27th, 2010, 11:36 pm

No, I dug around in the DB and couldn't find them anywhere.
markelshark

Postby markelshark » September 27th, 2010, 11:37 pm

The problem with this feature is that it punishes users who, for example, use coffee shops a lot. I would much rather have a feature that allows only 1 or 2 concurrent logins, rather than a feature that counts IPs
markelshark

Postby markelshark » October 5th, 2010, 11:05 am

*bump* Jason, this feature still continues to haunt me and I still am waiting a response from you from September 13th post! My questions/feedback were:

1) How can I view the IP addresses a user has connected from? This way I could determine if it is legitimate usage or credential-sharing.

2) It would be best if I could reset just a single user - that way as I keep having this issue I'm not resetting the IPs for EVERYONE. If I keep doing that what is the point of the feature?
markelshark

Postby markelshark » October 5th, 2010, 11:53 am

And a big 3) resetting the logs does not work on my server for some reason. S2 says logs have been reset in an alert window but users still get the 503 error. I am having to tell them to signup for a new account and then transfer their PayPal profile ID over.

Jason, if I could please get some help from you on these issues......
markelshark

Postby MikeL » October 8th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Is there a way to turn this feature off entirely?
MikeL

Postby mercure » October 15th, 2010, 3:28 pm

I have been experiencing the same issue. I tried to reset the IP logs, but I get the same error 503 again.

What to do?
mercure

Postby drcoach » October 16th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Now having this issue as well. I can log in as admin but can't log in as user even when I have formerly logged out as admin.
drcoach

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 16th, 2010, 11:19 pm

Thanks for all these reports guys. Much appreciated!
~ Apologies for my delay on this topic.

s2Member v3.2.8 has just been released to address your concerns.
http://www.primothemes.com/post/product ... th-paypal/
As always, your feedback is welcomed.

== Changelog ==

= 3.2.8 =
* Unique IP Restrictions. There is a new option under: `s2Member -> General Options -> IP Restrictions` which allows a site owner to effectively disable IP Restrictions if they'd prefer. On some hosting platforms, the `$_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"]` variable ( i.e. a Users IP address ) is incorrectly set to the exact same thing for all visitors; which WILL prevent s2Member's IP Restrictions from working as intended. If you're on a hosting platform that has this bug, you may wish to disable IP Restrictions completely using s2Member v3.2.8+. Otherwise, under most circumstances we recommend that you leave IP Restrictions on.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby humanityhealing » January 18th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Hi All,

I am still getting the 503 Error. I have spoken with the individuals, and the individual with the most unique computers our site was accessed from was 3. Most just logged in from their home computer.

This has moved beyond an inconvenience to a credibility issue for our website and will only get worse as we expand.

Clicking the IP Reset button does not work. How do I address this besides deleting the account and re-entering the data and does the new different sign-up date conflict with the Paypal reoccurring payment date???

Regards,
Christopher Buck
humanityhealing

Postby Lange » February 3rd, 2011, 7:46 pm

I am also still having issues with users getting permanently 503'd. Resetting the logs does not fix the issue, and manually altering the database entries does work either (they simply aren't there after resetting the logs, or I'm looking in the wrong place. What table are they contained in?). The penalty should only be 60 minutes for my site, but any user who trips the IP limit is never allowed to log in again. This is a serious issue and I would appreciate it if it could be quickly addressed.

I am running s2member 3.3.2 + Pro Module 1.3.2.
Lange

Postby Lange » February 4th, 2011, 4:50 pm

Update: I have managed to locate the entires in the wp_options table and manually edit them to allow users to log in again, but this obviously is not the best way to go about this and I still need some assistance.
Lange

Postby bmiles » February 8th, 2011, 7:27 pm

I was having this problem as well for a few select users (even after reseting the IP restriction logs). Unfortunately the only way I was able to resolve the problem was by changing max allowed to infinite. I think I'll leave it off until things get ironed out.
bmiles

Postby Jason Caldwell » March 4th, 2011, 8:46 am

Thanks for reporting this important issue:
bmiles wrote:I was having this problem as well for a few select users (even after reseting the IP restriction logs). Unfortunately the only way I was able to resolve the problem was by changing max allowed to infinite. I think I'll leave it off until things get ironed out.

This bug was found in s2Member's "Reset IP Restrictions" button,
and corrected in the release of s2Member v3.5+.

In addition, it is now possible to reset IP Restrictions on a per-User basis in your Dashboard. Click [Edit] next to any User account, and you will find a checkbox with details regarding any existing IP Restrictions that exist for the account. If any exist, checking the box and clicking Save will remove the temporary ban for that particular account. This allows you to Reset IP Restrictions, but only for a specific User.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby rodrico101 » March 14th, 2011, 2:21 pm

I am starting to havesimilar issues with my site....I would like to change the time period from 30 days to 24 hours. (yes..that would be practical for my site).

The default period of "30 days" could be modified through this WordPress® Filter:
ws_plugin__s2member_ip_restrictions__concurrency_time_per_ip

Where do I find this filter?? File, folder etc.

Thanks,
Rod
rodrico101

Postby Jason Caldwell » March 15th, 2011, 1:13 am

Thanks for the excellent question.

Create this directory and file:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php

Inside the file, add the following code:

Code: Select all
<?php
add_filter 
("ws_plugin__s2member_ip_restrictions__concurrency_time_per_ip", "s2_concurrency_time_per_ip");
function s2_concurrency_time_per_ip ()
    {
        return "24 hours";
    }
?>

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby rodrico101 » March 15th, 2011, 2:10 am

Jason,

Thanks for the speedy reply.
I tried adding the folder and file into my wp directory and got a huge line of php errors when trying to log in:
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 693

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 694

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 695

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 897

and these when I added the folder after already being logged in and trying to log out:
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-login.php on line 354

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-login.php on line 366

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 720

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 721

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 722

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 723

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 724

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 725

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 728

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 729

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 730

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 731

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 734

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 735

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 736

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 737

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-hacks.php:1) in /home/rodrico1/public_html/washinflorida11.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 897

Is this conflicting with another plugin ?? I also noticed that it changed the look of my "General Options" page and I no longer had the drop downs for each option. (ie clickable fields)

I am using WP version 3.1 and just updated S2 to Version 3.5.4 before adding the hack.

Thanks,

Rod
Last edited by rodrico101 on March 15th, 2011, 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
rodrico101

Next

Return to s2Member Plugin