PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Is this too complicated? (Single Post question)

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Is this too complicated? (Single Post question)

Postby Nicolas » May 13th, 2010, 3:48 pm

I'm trying to put together a website with s2Members. The idea is to have twelve posts, with a series of videos on each one, and every post would need to be bought before gaining access to the videos. I also want people to register, so I activated s2Members "Free registration" option: users are required to both log in and pay for that particular content before they can see the posts. In theory, everything should be right up to this point (still haven't fully implemented it, and though not sure whether I'll run into any problems).

The thing is that I don't want the videos to be accessed through their URL. I added them on s2Members protected folder, and thus succeded in blocking them... although I also blocked them from the post itself. I've used the link structure with included variables that's suggested on the Downloads section, and that works (almost) flawlessly: I'm not interested in limiting downloads, because they are videos, so I went with the free option, that includes a security key alongside the URL for added security. The problem is that (aparently) that security code is always the same, so technically the link is shareable. Am I doing something wrong? What I want is for the videos to stream only when accessed through the protected page link. Is this functionality already built on s2Members and I'm looking past it, or it's something that cannot be done?

Another question: the single page access restriction works only on pages, or I can use it on posts as well? (using their ID)

Thanks for your time!!
Nicolas
Guest User
Guest User

Re: Is this too complicated? (Single Post question)

Postby Nicolas » May 13th, 2010, 3:51 pm

One other thing: I don't really want the link to expire after 72 hours. After all, they purchased access to the page and the activities can be done any number of times, so it seems only fair to allow unlimited access once they paid. Is there a workaround for this?
Nicolas
Guest User
Guest User

Postby Jason Caldwell » May 13th, 2010, 4:07 pm

I'll address your other questions in just a moment. Single-Post Access "might" be coming soon. If I receive donations toward this, it will be added for sure. At this point though, we're looking at a couple of changes first. Once these changes are released, we'll consider adding support for Single-Post Access.

Here are the current changes in the pipeline:

• A new IP/Security module is being developed for s2Member. This module will make it possible for s2Member to log IP addresses associated with each Single-Page Access Link, and also for each Customer Username ( pertaining to Member Level Access ). This new module will not affect the formulation of Single-Page Access Links.

The new IP/Security module, is going to monitor the IP addresses accessing each Single-Page Access Link, and allow the site owner ( you ) to configure the maximum unique IP's allowed for each Single-Page link, and/or for each Username that accesses the members area of your site.

The goal here, is to give the site owner the ability to lock-down their site, and prevent link sharing and Username sharing in the public. s2Member is already very secure, but this will be an additional layer of security, specifically designed to prevent Single-Page Link sharing, and Username sharing.

• For Single-Page Access, we are planning to implement cookie tracking, which will allow a Customer to land on the Single-Page, and once they've successfully gained access, cookies will be set, so that subsequent visits to that Page, will be granted without the need to click on the special Single-Page Access Link again.

In other words, they'll be able to navigate your site, and come back to the protected Single-Page, with access being possible. Currently, this is a bit tricky, because the only way they can gain access, is by using the hashed link ( %%sp_access_url%% ), and once they click away from the Page, if they return, access is denied.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » May 13th, 2010, 4:08 pm

Nicolas wrote:One other thing: I don't really want the link to expire after 72 hours. After all, they purchased access to the page and the activities can be done any number of times, so it seems only fair to allow unlimited access once they paid. Is there a workaround for this?

Please download the latest version of s2Member. The most recent version, allows you to configure the expiration time on Single-Page Access Links. Anywhere from 2 hours, up to 5 years. This is configured in the Button Generator, whenever you create a Buy Now button for Single-Page Access. You can choose the expiration time.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » May 13th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Nicolas wrote:The thing is that I don't want the videos to be accessed through their URL. I added them on s2Members protected folder, and thus succeded in blocking them... although I also blocked them from the post itself. I've used the link structure with included variables that's suggested on the Downloads section, and that works (almost) flawlessly: I'm not interested in limiting downloads, because they are videos, so I went with the free option, that includes a security key alongside the URL for added security. The problem is that (aparently) that security code is always the same, so technically the link is shareable. Am I doing something wrong? What I want is for the videos to stream only when accessed through the protected page link. Is this functionality already built on s2Members and I'm looking past it, or it's something that cannot be done?

I would steer away from ?s2member_free_file_download_key option on this. Those links ARE free ( shareable, as you mentioned ). Instead, you'll want to have Members with an Access Level of 1 or higher, and then set Level 1 Download Restrictions to unlimited ( 999999999 ). This way they'll have unlimited access to the protected files, and you'll prevent the link sharing issue from occurring, because they'll have to be logged in as a Member in order to have access to the protected files.

You may have to re-think the structure of your Membership offering a bit, in order to make this possible. s2Member was originally created for Membership Level Access. The Single-Page Access feature was added in later, and it works independently from Member Level Access. Single-Page Access only allows access to a Single Page, and not to anything else. Access to downloadable files, requires Member Level Access.

I'm logging this as a feature request though. In a future version of s2Member, I'll see if we can build an additional key for downloadable files that could be generated for this type of scenario.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Nicolas » May 13th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Jason!

I'll definitely have in mind what you just said. Single Post access is still in the works, so I'll have to find a workaround if I want to have the website delivered in time. Will download the latest version of s2Members though.

The thing with the links being available to members is that someone who buys one of the posts has the link structure for all the others. So it's actually members the ones I want to block from the other videos... the free key at least complicates the URL a little bit, and while still capable of being shared, it would involve two people instead of just one. In any case, I'll consider your suggestion to rethink the membership structure, so as to fit better into s2Members.

I can definitely understand that a lot of effort is needed for s2Members to cover every possible situation, so don't push yourself too hard! I'm really grateful for the plugin so far, and I might even be able to use it for my project as is.
Nicolas
Guest User
Guest User

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 24th, 2010, 1:14 am

Just to update this thread. Starting with s2Member v3.0.6+, the s2Member Download Restrictions are now much more powerful, supporting some new improvements related specifically to Download Keys. In s2Member v3.0.6+, take a look at: s2Member -> Download Options -> Advanced Restrictions.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin