PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Please check permissions

Quick Cache Plugin. Speeds up WordPress®.

Please check permissions

Postby upekshapriya » May 25th, 2010, 5:13 pm

When I go to the Quick Cache Options page I get the message:

Permissions: Please check permissions on /home/another/public_html/wp-content. Quick Cache needs write-access to this directory. Permissions need to be 755 or higher.

However it only goes away if I chmod it to 777

I get a similar message for wp-config.php if that isn't 777.

Permissions: Please check permissions on /home/another/public_html/wp-config.php. Quick Cache needs write-access to this file. Permissions need to be 755 or higher.

I am on shared hosting with a database server that is separate from the apache server.

It appears rather dangerous for these to be both 777.

If it is the case that the plugin doesn't need the permissions to be set to 777 to work (except when changing the configuration) then these messages are rather confusing.
upekshapriya

Re: Please check permissions

Postby Jake » June 10th, 2010, 12:48 am

I have the same exact issue. Can we get a response?
Jake
Guest User
Guest User

Postby medinfo » June 19th, 2010, 12:47 am

You should check with your hosting service and ask how Apache is built. Under Apache running with DSO module, permissions will work only if the files have the Apache group, otherwise, any kind of permissions you will set to those files won't work.
medinfo
Guest User
Guest User

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 21st, 2010, 6:52 pm

Normally, 755 is good enough. However, Quick Cache will continue to report the error, so long as it's unable to gain "write" access to these important files/directories. If your current hosting provider has a configuration that requires 777, then that's what you'll have to set them to.

I wouldn't worry too much about security here, with respect to 777 permissions.
Even in a shared hosting environment, your site is blocked from editing through User/Group permissions. So setting permissions to 777 only affects your file structure. It usually does NOT give others on the server permission to edit those files. That would be a HUGE security hole.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to Quick Cache Plugin