PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Quick Cache + Bad Behavior

Quick Cache Plugin. Speeds up WordPress®.

Quick Cache + Bad Behavior

Postby mrpyro » August 24th, 2010, 9:27 am

Just added Quick Cache to my busy site, TempSensorNEWS.com, and we are very pleased with its ease of use and the way it speeds up the site response. Ran into a little problem this morning, but one with a "Quick Solution".

Our site locked me out with the message "You Are Banned". I couldn't log in or even see the home page - just the Ban message. It was the cache at work.

A banned IP tried to access the site before me and the ban message and action were cached. This is due to another plug in WP-Ban, that I have come to like, also. It rejects any IP address that we post to it after reviewing the list of spammer IPs it has identified. This is on top of Askimet. We get hit a lot by comment and content spammers.

Solution: reduce the ban time from 3600 seconds default to something a bit more usable. Right now we are working our way to find a compromise between the the two plugins -it looks like 600 seconds is a pretty good compromise. It's a while since we reviewed the IP spam list - it keeps a tally on how many spam attempts have been made by IP - Askimet seems to catch most, but not all.

We also use Login Lockdown to try to keep brute force hackers out. Seems to me that WordPress should incorporate some of these anti-bad guy features in a build soon.
mrpyro

Re: Quick Cache + Bad Behavior

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 24th, 2010, 9:41 am

Thanks for reporting this. I'll have a look at these plugin combinations before the next release. If there is something we can do to assist with compatiblity, we'll do so. In the mean time, you may want to contact the developers of these plugins, and make them aware of this Quick Cache Constant:
Code: Select all
define("QUICK_CACHE_ALLOWED", false);

A plugin developer can define this Constant within a routine that processes something special, which would otherwise not be compatible with Quick Cache. Often times, this simple definition can mean the difference between problems, and full compatibility with Quick Cache.

Quick Cache is also backward compatible with WP-Super Cache, in that it also recognizes:
Code: Select all
define("DONOTCACHEPAGE", true);

@TODO :: Bad behavior, IP detection, compatiblity.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby markb1439 » March 7th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Just curious as to whether it's now safe to use Bad Behavior with Quick Cache.
markb1439

Postby ovidiu » April 15th, 2011, 10:22 am

same question here: any progress?
and what about this plugin? does similar stuff as bad behavior: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/avh ... inst-spam/ and also checks different external spam checking services as project honeypot, etc...
ovidiu

Return to Quick Cache Plugin