PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

odd intermittent behavior

Quick Cache Plugin. Speeds up WordPress®.

odd intermittent behavior

Postby shagazulu » September 19th, 2010, 2:43 am

So, I've combed through the forum here, including the long post that ended in the ob_start removal resolution ... here's my issue: I was testing several cache plugins and made sure to remove them completely before installing Quick Cache, including the advanced-cache.php file, etc... Ok, installed Quick Cache and it seemed to work fine. I was toggling between 3 different computers. I discovered, though, that nothing I could do on the Dell laptop I was doing all that work on would make it work. I was logged in to my site on Chrome, and went over to Apple Safari and Opera to test it, and it wasn't caching the pages. Then I logged out of Chrome to see if somehow that would help, and it didn't... for none of the browsers, including Chrome. So then I go to my desktop, PC, and try it there and everything is working great.

So then I go to my Apple Powerbook and try it there, and it works great. Getting the proper messages in the source code, etc. But still no good on my Dell laptop. Then I ask a friend to try it on her Apple laptop which is 30 miles away, and it doesn't work... Nothing in the source code. Then I try it on my Apple laptop again, which it had worked on just 3 minutes before, and it doesn't work there now....

BUT, I go over to my desktop, and it still works! So, I'm gonna check it again now.... Here I go.... Chrome on laptop, (not logged in) no good. Safari on laptop, (not logged in) no good. Safari on Apple laptop, etc., no good. Chrome on desktop.... Good.

Please help.
thanks
Mike
shagazulu
Guest User
Guest User

Re: odd intermittent behavior

Postby Jason Caldwell » September 29th, 2010, 11:07 am

Thanks for reporting this important issue.

Odd/intermittent behavior. If you're seeing differences from one browser to another, it is most likely caused by your status in different browsers. By default, Quick Cache does NOT cache pages for logged-in visitors, including anyone who has recently left a comment on your site. In other words, if you use Firefox yourself, or you've used that browser to leave a comment on your site in the past, you may see different results in that browser, as opposed to quick tests that you might run in other browsers that you don't really use regularly.

For the most accurate testing, I suggest clearing history, cookies, and temp files on all browsers.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: odd intermittent behavior

Postby Jason Caldwell » September 29th, 2010, 11:10 am

Also, you might have another plugin that is selectively disabling the cache engine at runtime, based on the HTTP_USER_AGENT string. For instance, some plugins attempt to identify the browser, http referrer, and/or IP address of a user. In rare cases, these plugins will selectively disable the cache.

So you could try disabling other plugins until you find the culprit.

Either that, or run a scan on all of your plugin files, for one of these two terms:
QUICK_CACHE_ALLOWED or DONOTCACHEPAGE
That may reveal a deeper issue in a plugin that you have installed.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to Quick Cache Plugin