PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Cannot Create a Free Membership Option

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Cannot Create a Free Membership Option

Postby warzan » May 10th, 2010, 11:34 am

I have s2member installed

I would like s2member level 1 to be the default subscription level.

When i go into wordpress settings it will not allow me to change the default "New User Default Role" and gives me the following message:

* Note: The s2Member plugin has control over two options on this page. Anyone Can Register = 1, and Default Role = subscriber.

How can i set the default for "New User Default Role" to be s2member level 1.

Thanks

Warren
warzan
Guest User
Guest User

Re: Cannot Create a Free Membership Option

Postby warzan » May 12th, 2010, 3:23 am

Hi Guys

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Cheers

Warren
warzan
Guest User
Guest User

Postby s2fan » May 12th, 2010, 5:46 pm

Hi warren,
Take a look at the general options under s2member where it says 'Login Welcome Page'. Here is what it says there:
"
Allow Free Subscribers Access To This Page?

If you set this to Yes, it means that you're giving Free Subscribers the ability to access this special Page that is normally intended only for Members. If you set this to Yes, you're also turning on the `Anyone Can Register` option that is built into WordPress®. So what this means, is that you're allowing people to signup for free, as a Free Subscriber, who will then have access to the Login Welcome Page, even though they're NOT a paid Member. This is only useful if you plan to let Users signup for free ( http://YOURURL/wp-login.php?action=register ). See s2Member -> API Scripting -> Advanced Conditionals, for details on how to customize your Login Welcome Page with Conditionals; based on Membership Level.
"

To me, it sounds like you need to work with the conditionals. I don't know if this would work, but you might also try setting the price for option 1 to $0.00.
s2fan
Guest User
Guest User

Postby Jason Caldwell » May 13th, 2010, 12:14 am

s2Member forces the Default Role to "Free Subscriber". So if you're planning to allow "Anyone To Register", you'll want to configure: s2Member -> Login Welcome Page -> Allow Free Subscribers. Set that to "yes".

Then you can allow Users to register on your site for free. They come in as Free Subscribers. The s2Member Levels are reserved for paid Membership access. That being said, if you would like to extend additional capabilities to Free Subscribers, you'll need to design your Login Welcome Page with Advanced Conditionals. See: s2Member -> API Scripting -> Advanced Conditionals.

In rare cases, when you "really" need to have the Default Role set to something other than Free Subscriber, you can add this to the functions.php file in your theme for WordPress.

Code: Select all
add_filter("s2member_force_default_role", "force_s2member_level1");
function force_s2member_level1($role)
{ return "s2member_level1"; }

That will force that Default Role to "s2Member Level 1", instead of Free Subscriber.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby warzan » May 13th, 2010, 5:31 am

Thank you i had almost given up on this! :D
warzan
Guest User
Guest User

Postby weblev » May 26th, 2010, 2:49 pm

I am trying to figure out how to allow free subscribers to be allowed access to certain pages that non subscribed are not allowed access to. I believe I need use scripting as explained in the advanced conditions section. I need to know where and how to acutually place this code. Can someone help me with this? Thanks, RJ
weblev

Postby warzan » June 3rd, 2010, 9:22 am

Hi Jason

The above code no longer works mate.

It was working fine (im not sure which upgrade has upset it)

Has this code been depricated, or could another plugin be interfereing with it?

Cheers

Warren
warzan
Guest User
Guest User

Postby warzan » June 3rd, 2010, 9:44 am

I should RTFM :o)

IMPORTANT: ( Attention Developers ) All of s2Member's internal Hooks/Filters have been prefixed with ws_plugin__ starting with v3.0.4. Given the number of Hooks/Filters spread throughout the s2Member framework ( now over 200 ); it was important to establish a standard for prefixing all Hooks/Filters. This will prevent future namespace clashes. If you've hooked into s2Member using your own custom programming routines, please update all of your Hooks/Filters by prefixing them with ws_plugin__.

Thanks mate sorry for the post but the answers here if anyone else is struggeling
warzan
Guest User
Guest User

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 23rd, 2010, 7:06 pm

Hey guys. Please note, s2Member v3.0.6+ now provides configuration options for Level#0, making it much easier to configure access for Free Subscribers. ~Thanks for all of your input and contributions.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin