PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Prorating for Subscribers who Upgrade Levels

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Prorating for Subscribers who Upgrade Levels

Postby jackpelham » September 28th, 2010, 12:11 pm

I have s2Member Pro and I offer 6 *ANNUAL* subscription plans, consisting of different combinations of access to various restricted areas of my site. I need an automated way to handle a subscriber who signs up for one plan, and then decides he wants to upgrade to another before his original subscription plan has expired.

Does s2Member Pro already have a provision for this? can s2Member Pro prorate the customer's existing subscription and reduce the charge for the upgraded subscription by the unused portion of the existing one? Can s2Member Pro automatically change the anniversary (billing) date to the date of the UPGRADE transaction?

If not, what would I have to do to make these things happen automatically, without having to manually edit each upgrading subscriber?

Anyone?
jackpelham

Re: Prorating for Subscribers who Upgrade Levels

Postby kenduret » September 29th, 2010, 1:57 pm

I have the same question. I have a site that is all level 1 protection. If a user signs up for one month access then upgrades to 6 month access I would like them to end up having 7 months of access before they are cut off. Right now if they try to add 6 months of access they lose their original one month signup time.
kenduret

Postby nrbeatty » September 29th, 2010, 11:15 pm

Any resources or information on prorating, whether in this forum or an external link, would be most appreciated. I only come up with this topic when searching "prorate," and there are no helpful replys yet.

(I would like to prorate an initial annual membership through June 30th, followed by annual billing of the full amt each July 1 after that.)

thank you
nrbeatty

Postby madsem » October 27th, 2010, 2:55 am

I have the same question, is prorating possible with s2member?

Foe example if I offer two subscriptions: one for $99/year and another for $9.99/month, and a user upgrades to the cheaper annual plan, will he be charged $99 or just the remaining amount?

How is this handled?
madsem

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 28th, 2010, 10:58 pm

madsem wrote:I have the same question, is prorating possible with s2member?

Foe example if I offer two subscriptions: one for $99/year and another for $9.99/month, and a user upgrades to the cheaper annual plan, will he be charged $99 or just the remaining amount?

How is this handled?

If you're using PayPal Standard integration
( w/ the free version of s2Member ).

The new terms will take effect at the end of the current billing cycle. In other words, if a Customer signs up for a monthly Subscription on Jan 1st at $9.99/mo... then they upgrade on Jan 15th to $99/year; they will be billed $99 on Feb 1st and be re-billed Feb 1st of each year.

This is how PayPal handles things during the checkout experience, and the Customer is informed at the point in which the upgrade/downgrade is taking place. PayPal will display an "Effective Date" to each Customer who is modifying an existing Subscription through PayPal.

It is important to realize that the "Effective Date" only applies to billing. In other words, even though a billing change may take several days to go into effect, their Membership on your site will be upgraded/downgraded immediately after the modification process is completed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're using PayPal Pro integration
( w/ s2Member Pro Forms ).

The new terms will take effect IMMEDIATELY. In other words, if a Customer signs up for a monthly Subscription on Jan 1st at $9.99/mo... then they upgrade on Jan 15th to $99/year; their existing Recurring Profile is terminated IMMEDIATELY, and a new one is created. Their new Billing Profile would come at the expense of $99 ( immediately ), and the Customer will be re-billed each year on Jan 15th.

So this means that PRORATING is possible ONLY with s2Member Pro. Using s2Member's Pro Form generator, you can create Billing Modification Forms. You would configure a new ( different ) price for yearly Membership, making this special Form available ONLY to existing Members.
Further details in your Dashboard: s2Member Pro -> PayPal Pro Forms

Coming soon in s2Member Pro v1.3, we will be introducing a new feature, making it possible for you to charge a different amount in the first initial billing cycle. Once this is released, it will make PRORATING even easier, as the first period after upgrade could be set to a rate of $89, and all subsequent payments after the initial billing cycle would continue at the rate of $99/yr.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related articles:
https://www.x.com/message/78781#78781
https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd= ... 8ADFA005QU
https://www.x.com/message/100576#100576
https://www.x.com/search.jspa?peopleEna ... =prorating
https://www.x.com/message/173577#173577

paypal-pro-api.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby startasocialnetwork » November 20th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Hi Jason,

What about a situation where we have two price levels ($19/month and $49/month), and a customer moved from one to another mid-month.

So Jan 1st member pays $19 and on the 15th they decide to upgrade. I know s2MPro will cancel the first profile (so they won't be charged $19 on their Feb 1 anniversary) and immediately charge them $49 on Jan 15th.

But is there a way to automatically refund a pro-rated amount of the first package, based on the % of that month (period) they've used?

Makes for a hard upsell, if they will in effect lose half of their initial payment.
startasocialnetwork

Return to s2Member Plugin