PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Fatal Activation Error

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Fatal Activation Error

Postby floriana » May 15th, 2010, 5:13 pm

Hi,

I tried to install the plugin both from Wordpress and with the download from your site. Every time I activated the plugin I got this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_salt() in /.../wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/functions/utilities.inc.php on line 203

Even more, after the activation all what I'm getting of my blog and administration is the error page, like it blocks my access to everything else. I can access my blog only after I delete the plugin.

Can you please, help me with this and tell me what I should do with that wp_salt error? Your help would be greatly appreciated... I could really use the plugin.

Thank you!
floriana

Re: Fatal Activation Error

Postby HTMwebrat » May 16th, 2010, 12:57 am

What version of Wordpress are you using?
HTMwebrat

Postby floriana » May 18th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Thank you for replying. I am using the last version of the plugin, I just downloaded it from this site.
floriana

Postby HTMwebrat » May 18th, 2010, 10:38 pm

What's the version of Wordpress itself? It should say so under the on the main page of the Dashboard.

Do you have any other plugins installed?
HTMwebrat

Postby drbyte » May 19th, 2010, 2:31 am

floriana wrote:Hi,

I tried to install the plugin both from Wordpress and with the download from your site. Every time I activated the plugin I got this:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_salt() in /.../wp-content/plugins/s2member/includes/functions/utilities.inc.php on line 203

Even more, after the activation all what I'm getting of my blog and administration is the error page, like it blocks my access to everything else. I can access my blog only after I delete the plugin.

Can you please, help me with this and tell me what I should do with that wp_salt error? Your help would be greatly appreciated... I could really use the plugin.

Thank you!

Download it a gain and this time FTP to your site Dir. It seems you are missing some files.

Let us know

Sam
drbyte
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Jason Caldwell » May 19th, 2010, 2:43 am

Yea, sounds like another plugin is triggering a PHP error prior to the s2Member files being loaded. So even though the error is indicating a problem with s2Member, it is actually caused by the absence of the wp_salt function, which is already built into WordPress® ( wp_salt is not a part of s2Member ). s2Member just relies on this function that is part of the WordPress® core.

The wp_salt function is inside: /wp-includes/pluggable.php. So make sure that your installation of WordPress is not missing that file. If all else fails, I would try re-installing WordPress®.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Josh » May 19th, 2010, 3:12 am

depending on version, search google for "wp fatal activation error" and you'll find three main solutions.
1. editing your php.ini file and increasing wp memory size to say 64MB. (this didn't work for me)
2. editing your wp-config.php file inside your root folder and adding a define(php_memory_limit '64mb'); (search google, cause I don't know if the markup on that is perfect. - this didn't work for me either.
3. create a .htaccess file in the root folder where wp is installed and put this code inside it:
# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

THAT... worked for me. ;)

Hope that helps. ;)
Josh
Guest User
Guest User

Postby floriana » May 21st, 2010, 1:59 am

Thank you all for the replies!

To answer your questions, I use the latest version of Wordpress, with several plugins.

Uploading S2member via FTP didn't solve the problem. Tried it twice.

I'll check out all the other solutions you indicated and I'll let you know what worked.

Thank you, again!
floriana

Postby floriana » May 21st, 2010, 2:15 am

Jason Caldwell wrote:Yea, sounds like another plugin is triggering a PHP error prior to the s2Member files being loaded. So even though the error is indicating a problem with s2Member, it is actually caused by the absence of the wp_salt function, which is already built into WordPress® ( wp_salt is not a part of s2Member ). s2Member just relies on this function that is part of the WordPress® core.

The wp_salt function is inside: /wp-includes/pluggable.php. So make sure that your installation of WordPress is not missing that file. If all else fails, I would try re-installing WordPress®.

Checked out pluggable.php and it's in the right place. :)
floriana

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 24th, 2010, 1:00 am

Do you have the Maintenance Mode plugin installed perhaps?
-- I've seen a few really poorly written plugins out there that try to include "pluggable.php", and it totally screws up all kinds of things. Maintenance Mode is one of those. Now, there are two of these plugins:

1. Maintenance Mode ( bad )
2. WP Maintenance Mode ( good )

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby drbyte » June 24th, 2010, 3:58 am

Jason Caldwell wrote:Do you have the Maintenance Mode plugin installed perhaps?
-- I've seen a few really poorly written plugins out there that try to include "pluggable.php", and it totally screws up all kinds of things. Maintenance Mode is one of those. Now, there are two of these plugins:

1. Maintenance Mode ( bad )
2. WP Maintenance Mode ( good )

Well Jason, Both are not that good. WP should have this within its core as an option.
drbyte
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Jason Caldwell » June 24th, 2010, 2:51 pm

I completely agree Sam.
The Maintenance Mode mode ( minus the WP prefix ), is the one that includes pluggable.php. I wrote to the author of this plugin; to try and explain, as did another developer in the WordPress.org forums. No response yet though. I'm sure they'll get around to fixing this in the future release. Until then, I'd stay away from that one for sure.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin