PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Sporadic new user registration problem

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Sporadic new user registration problem

Postby artcoffeewords » October 19th, 2011, 8:51 pm

I am running s2member basic with Buddy Press on my site at http://beginningcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com . Since the site went live about 6 weeks ago I have had 30 students sign up. 7 of them have had the same problem. Essentially payment and registration all go through normally. On the admin end they all appear to be properly registered, but show as having not logged in yet. When the student tries to login they get sent back to the sign up page and cannot access the member content. I have tried resetting their passwords and logging in myself with their information. The same thing happens to me using their login... I get sent back to the signup page. They only way I have been able to correct the issue is to delete the account they created at registration and manually create a new account.

I asked the students that had the troubles what their pc type, Os, and browser was and they were all different. I am updated to the most current version of s2member but I am using buddypress 1.2.9 because I did not use a child theme (my first time using buddy press... I did not realize I needed a child theme until too late. I will fix this after the first full run of the class.). There are a few other plugins, but all have been there since the beginning. The last three students have registered without issue, but the bug seems to be random. I have not been able to recreate it.

It seems to be a problem at the point when the registration is created, but I cannot figure it out any further on my own. Any help identifying or solving the issue would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by artcoffeewords on October 19th, 2011, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
artcoffeewords

Re: Sporadic new user registration problem

Postby Bruce C » October 19th, 2011, 9:12 pm

That sounds like it might have something to do with user Role/Capability problems. Do you have any Custom Registration Fields, or plugins that also create roles?

Also, are all of the members that had the problem on the same s2Member level? Perhaps it's the specific PayPal button for that membership level that has a typo in the code (an accidental key press while copying?). If so, try replacing that button with a new one.

Hope you figure out your problem!
~Bruce ( a.k.a. Ace )

If you're interested in a Professional Installation, or Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.

Proud Supporter of:
The Zeitgeist Movement
and Occupy Everything
Bruce C
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby artcoffeewords » October 19th, 2011, 9:19 pm

My setup is pretty bare bones... no custom capabilities, only 1 member level. I will try replacing the button code. I do have it on two different pages. I will compare the two and see if one is different than the other. Good idea...thank you, Ace.

More info... I watched video about the login redirect problem. My problem seems similar to the one described, but I do not have a hidden "redirect_to" field in my log in box.
artcoffeewords

Postby Bruce C » October 19th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Okay cool.
~Bruce ( a.k.a. Ace )

If you're interested in a Professional Installation, or Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.

Proud Supporter of:
The Zeitgeist Movement
and Occupy Everything
Bruce C
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby artcoffeewords » October 19th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Could this be a php issue? I just checked in my Cpanel and it says I am running 5.2.14 . I submitted a ticket with my host to see if I could get it upgraded.
artcoffeewords

Postby Bruce C » October 19th, 2011, 9:57 pm

It's possible, since the buttons use php constants for sending data to PayPal... but even if it is not s2Member requires PHP 5.3+, so it's probably a good idea to get it upgraded anyway.
~Bruce ( a.k.a. Ace )

Proud Supporter of:
The Zeitgeist Movement
and Occupy Everything
Bruce C
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby artcoffeewords » October 21st, 2011, 12:50 am

After some sleep I realized my php version was higher than the 5.2.3+ listed in the ideal configuration thread (last night fourteen registered in my tired brain as one point four). I could not find anywhere that said 5.3 was needed. My request for an upgrade from my host was denied. Other than that I have never had any issues with them, so hopefully whatever the solution is it does not require moving to a new host.

I changed a few of the settings on my site and in s2member that I didn't think had anything to do with my setup when I was first installing everything, but now that am a little more familiar I thought the minor tweaks might make a difference with this problem. I also triple checked every other setting to make sure it is as I think it should be. After I did all that I did have a new student sign up with no problems that I know of, but I would not know unless she contacted me.

I realize without more info this is hard to help with. I have turned on logging so if it happens again I will come back with that info. Thanks for any help!
artcoffeewords

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 22nd, 2011, 6:02 pm

Ace of Spades wrote:It's possible, since the buttons use php constants for sending data to PayPal... but even if it is not s2Member requires PHP 5.3+, so it's probably a good idea to get it upgraded anyway.

s2Member requires PHP v5.2.3 or higher. So PHP version 5.2.14 would be just fine.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby artcoffeewords » October 28th, 2011, 4:42 am

The problem is no longer just sporadic. My last three signups have all had the same issue. It does not seem to be a problem with paypal or the ipn. It seems to happen after registration or at the moment of registration. Their accounts are created and they appear to be just fine in the admin panel viewing subscribers, but when tested they do not work. They cannot sign in. For now I have had to replace the s2member integrated paypal buttons with plain buy now buttons. I am adding new signups manually now every time rather than having the new students think the site is broken.

Here is the log from one of the broken registrations:

PHP v5.2.14 :: WordPress® v3.2.1 :: s2Member® v111017
Memory 43.66 MB :: Real Memory 44.50 MB :: Peak Memory 43.81 MB :: Real Peak Memory 44.50 MB
beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com/?s2member_paypal_notify=1
User-Agent:
array (
'mc_gross' => '20.00',
'invoice' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'protection_eligibility' => 'Ineligible',
'payer_id' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'tax' => '0.00',
'payment_date' => '16:56:40 Oct 24, 2011 PDT',
'payment_status' => 'Completed',
'charset' => 'windows-1252',
'first_name' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'option_selection1' => 'beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com',
'option_selection2' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'mc_fee' => '0.88',
'notify_version' => '3.4',
'custom' => 'beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com',
'payer_status' => 'unverified',
'business' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'quantity' => '1',
'verify_sign' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'payer_email' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'option_name1' => 'Originating Domain',
'option_name2' => 'Customer IP Address',
'txn_id' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'payment_type' => 'instant',
'last_name' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'receiver_email' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'payment_fee' => '0.88',
'receiver_id' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'txn_type' => 'web_accept',
'item_name' => 'Beginning Creative Lettering',
'mc_currency' => 'USD',
'item_number' => '1',
'residence_country' => 'US',
'handling_amount' => '0.00',
'transaction_subject' => 'beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com',
'payment_gross' => '20.00',
'shipping' => '0.00',
'ipn_track_id' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
's2member_log' =>
array (
0 => 'IPN received on: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:56:53 pm UTC',
1 => 's2Member POST vars verified through a POST back to PayPal®.',
2 => 's2Member originating domain ( `$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]` ) validated.',
3 => 's2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `web_accept|subscr_signup` ).',
4 => 's2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `web_accept|subscr_signup` ) w/o update vars.',
5 => 'Signup Confirmation Email sent to: "XXXXXXXXX" <XXXXXXXXX@gmail.com>.',
6 => 'Storing `payment` for Subscription via ( `web_accept` ).',
7 => 'Creating an IPN response for `subscr_payment`. This will go into a Transient Queue; and be processed during registration.',
8 => 'Storing IPN signup vars into a Transient Queue. These will be processed on registration.',
),
'subscr_gateway' => 'paypal',
'subscr_id' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'eotper' => NULL,
'ccaps' => NULL,
'level' => '1',
'ip' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'period1' => '0 D',
'mc_amount1' => '0.00',
'period3' => '1 L',
'mc_amount3' => '20.00',
'initial_term' => '0 D',
'initial' => '20.00',
'regular' => '20.00',
'regular_term' => '1 L',
'recurring' => '0',
)

PHP v5.2.14 :: WordPress® v3.2.1 :: s2Member® v111017
Memory 43.11 MB :: Real Memory 44.50 MB :: Peak Memory 43.83 MB :: Real Peak Memory 44.50 MB
beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com/?s2member_paypal_notify=1&s2member_paypal_proxy=paypal&s2member_paypal_proxy_verification=XXXXXXXXX
User-Agent: WordPress/3.2.1; http://beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com
array (
'txn_type' => 'subscr_payment',
'mc_gross' => '20.00',
'invoice' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'tax' => '0.00',
'first_name' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'option_selection1' => 'beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com',
'option_selection2' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'custom' => 'beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com',
'payer_email' => 'XXXXXXXXX@gmail.com',
'option_name1' => 'Originating Domain',
'option_name2' => 'Customer IP Address',
'txn_id' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'last_name' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'item_name' => 'Beginning Creative Lettering',
'mc_currency' => 'USD',
'item_number' => '1',
'subscr_gateway' => 'paypal',
'subscr_id' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
'proxy_verified' => 'paypal',
's2member_log' =>
array (
0 => 'IPN received on: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:59:42 pm UTC',
1 => 's2Member POST vars verified with a Proxy Key',
2 => 's2Member originating domain ( `$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]` ) validated.',
3 => 's2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `subscr_payment|recurring_payment` ).',
4 => 'Sleeping for 5 seconds. Waiting for a possible ( `subscr_signup|subscr_modify|recurring_payment_profile_created` ).',
5 => 'Awake. It\'s Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:59:47 pm UTC. s2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `subscr_payment|recurring_payment` ).',
6 => 'Updated Payment Times for this Member.',
),
'ccaps' => NULL,
'level' => '1',
'ip' => '7XXXXXXXXX',
's2member_paypal_proxy' => 'paypal',
's2member_paypal_proxy_verification' => 'XXXXXXXXX',
)
artcoffeewords

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 28th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Thanks for the follow-up.

Do you have an s2-hacks.php file with any custom code of your own? Things that might be running checks against the current User? Anything like that? Or, are you running with any One-Time-Offers configured via s2Member Pro perhaps?

If nothing gives, please send me a Dashboard login through this form. I'll run diagnostics and provide a solution for you. Use this private contact form please: http://www.s2member.com/contact/

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby artcoffeewords » October 28th, 2011, 3:58 pm

No, nothing custom like that. I will send you a login. Thank you.
artcoffeewords

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 28th, 2011, 4:49 pm

Details received. Thank you.
~Investigating now.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 29th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Investigation completed.

Thanks for your patience. A bug related to BuddyPress Systematics was found in the s2Member framework, and has been corrected on your installation. This change will also come in the next official release of s2Member. For now, your site has been patched.

Please let us know if you continue to have any trouble in this regard.

Also, please note that the "Log In" link at the top of all BuddyPress-powered sites, contains a "redirect_to" specification, which can lead to some confusion about redirection upon login. For further details, you might want to watch this video. See: http://www.s2member.com/login-welcome-p ... cts-video/

There is nothing wrong with this, it's just something to be aware of:
Code: Select all
http://beginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fbeginingcreativelettering.mixedmuseings.com

s2Member v111029 Changelog excerpt ( coming later today )
* (s2Member/s2Member Pro) **Bug fix**. A bug related to the `init()` Hook firing an early call to `c_ws_plugin__s2member_systematics::is_wp_systematic_use_page()` was identified. Fixed in this release. One symptom of this bug was for Users/Members to have trouble accessing a BuddyPress registration form after having paid for Membership, under the right scenario.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby artcoffeewords » October 29th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Thank you so much! You are awesome!
artcoffeewords

Return to s2Member Plugin