PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Login Widgets for s2Member

Common Questions/Problems/Tips. Posted by Administrators & Support Reps.

Login Widgets for s2Member

Postby Jason Caldwell » March 22nd, 2011, 11:07 pm

Login Box widgets... I recommend one of these two:

1. Integrated specifically to meet the needs of s2Member installations:
s2Member Pro's Login Widget, which is specifically designed to work with s2Member.
( this comes with any purchase of the s2Member Pro add-on module )
( could also be integrated via PHP, directly into your theme )
http://www.s2member.com/prices/

Screenshot ( click to enlarge ):
s2-login-widget.jpg

2. A free alternative to the s2Member Pro Login Widget:
Sidebar Login ( works with s2Member, and s2Member Pro ) - confirmed/tested.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/sidebar-login/
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Login Widgets for s2Member

Postby Cristián Lávaque » April 29th, 2011, 9:54 pm

After you installed s2Member Pro, you'll find the Pro Login Widget at WP Admin -> Appearance -> Widgets.
Cristián Lávaque http://s2member.net
Is s2Member working for you? Please rate it Image at WordPress.org. Thanks! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby bwoolley » September 7th, 2011, 3:12 pm

After spending hours trying to make "Sidebar Login" work with s2Member (haven't bought the Pro version yet) I wanted to share that I found another plugin that's more customizable: "Login Logout" (In the Wordpress repository there are two similarly-named plugins; I'm referring to the one without the hyphen.) The register link in this plugin sends people to the s2Member registration page (wp-login.php?action=register), whereas Sidebar Login was sending them to wp-signup, no matter which settings I tried from the backend.

I'm using this on a multisite install and am happy to say that the Multisite User Management plugin works as well. I'm a happy camper tonight!
bwoolley

Postby bitofgrace » September 9th, 2011, 3:44 pm

I think this Login issue is the source of problems i'm having but i'm not sure.
When i add a user from Dashboard and assign them s2Level1 they are able to login with no problem using the Buddypress sidebar login area with custom fields.

But when a user purchases using s2 and is assigned to s2Level1 through that process they are unable to get through the registration process. It throws them to the home page - and then re-clicking on the email says the link is expired.

How do i fix this?
Any help is appreciated :)
bitofgrace

Postby bitofgrace » September 9th, 2011, 6:06 pm

When i use the suggested Sidebar-login widget and hide the default login .. what i get their login landing page inside of that div, like an iframe. : / and it's not quite as sleek looking a form as the BP default.

Is there way to use the BP default sidebar login with s2 Pro registration?
bitofgrace

Postby Cristián Lávaque » September 10th, 2011, 3:14 am

bitofgrace wrote:But when a user purchases using s2 and is assigned to s2Level1 through that process they are unable to get through the registration process. It throws them to the home page - and then re-clicking on the email says the link is expired.

Hmm... Are you hosting with HostGator? Just wondering because a couple of users already reported something similar because of HostGator.
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby helenwlee » September 10th, 2011, 4:01 am

Any reported issues with hostgator and the s2Member Pro's Login Widget? I´m going to test s2member free and pro on another provider but the finalised site(s) will be hosted at hostgator. Good to know in advance.
helenwlee

Postby bitofgrace » September 10th, 2011, 7:18 am

Nope - I'm on a private server through Serverbeach/Peer1
When the user clicks to save their reg details it attempts to get to the =register but then gets redirected to the home page.
bitofgrace

Postby bitofgrace » September 10th, 2011, 10:09 am

Although i'm not sure what was causing the circles before - it surely was something i was misunderstanding.
I upgraded to s2Pro... but had not noticed the Login Widget that it provided :)
When using the s@Pro widget - it looks great and works perfectly

*very happy camper*

thank you!
bitofgrace

Postby E7Flux » September 25th, 2011, 6:38 pm

The Login Widget seems to have disappeared on my site. Did the latest update of S2member remove it?
E7Flux

Postby Cristián Lávaque » September 27th, 2011, 12:33 am

No, it's still part of s2Member Pro. Make sure the Pro add-on is active in your installation.
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby E7Flux » September 27th, 2011, 10:05 am

Thanks! I had to reinstall it. For some reason the Pro version had disappeared. Got widget back :)
E7Flux

Postby Cristián Lávaque » September 28th, 2011, 4:16 am

That's great! Thanks for the update. :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby dhempy » October 26th, 2011, 2:30 pm

I recently started seeing a similar problem. Existing members can log in just fine. New members can register and click the validation link in the email, and all seems fine. The account appears the admin All Users list.

However, attempting to log in redirects the new user to the home page, with no error message, and no user logged in. In contrast, logging in with *bad* credentials goes to the "failed login" page, so I'm fairly sure the account is being created OK.

Disabling s2member restores proper functionality. The user can then log in.

Enabling s2member, functionality continues...and now the new user can still successfully log in and log out.

If I delete that user, and register a new user with the same name, it is as before...I cannot log in while s2member is still running. Stopping and restarting s2member allows the new user to log in.

Creating another user with a unique username does the same thing.

I've searched the support forum without luck. This is a difficult problem to describe in a search box! The closest thing I found is this thread and hoped the s2member login widget would fix me up. I added the s2member login widget, but no joy. The behaviors are broken just as before.

I just upgraded s2member and s2member Pro to the latest version (v111017) with no improvement. I am running WP 3.2.1 and BuddyPress 1.2.9.

I have gone through every tab under s2member's Restriction Options, and removed the few entries I had there during testing. I believe that my only restrictions are implemented in a custom post type template (single-lab.php):

Code: Select all
if (! current_user_can("read_apparatus")) {
      wp_redirect( home_url('/sign-up/') );
      exit();
   }

Let me be clear...I doubt seriously this is not a bug in s2member. I'm sure I've fouled something up, but have run out of ideas in troubleshooting it. If WP or s2m have any logs that might help, I haven't found them yet.

This is fairly new behavior. It was working a few weeks ago. In the meantime, I have worked sporadically on refining custom capabilities related to viewing lab pages, between being pulled off on other projects for a week at a time. Those changes all run after a user has logged in, so I don't *think* it is related. I've disabled the shortcode that triggers that action regardless, with no improvement.

I've finally entirely disabled the plugin I'm creating (including that shortcode and other tweaks), with no change.

At this point, I've got the system pared down very close to stock. I tried disabling BuddyPress, but then the site broke completely so I reenabled it. FWIW, we are not currently using any of BP's features, but plan to in the future, so are building compatible templates with it turned on.

SOOoooo....suggestions of things I can adjust or test? Any diagnostics or logs that might point me in the right direction? I'm a 15-year web programmer veteran, but am brand new at WP.

I acknowlege this is probably not your problem, but I offer huge thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

-dave
dhempy

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 26th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Here are some things you might take a look for:

1. All roads to log into your site are ultimately processed by /wp-login.php, regardless of whether or not they originated from a login widget. The s2Member Pro Login Widget POSTs data to this file too. So injecting test code into your /wp-login.php file might help you debug this.

2. Do you have any calls like this that might be loaded on the /wp-login.php page?
if (! current_user_can("read_apparatus")) {
      wp_redirect( home_url('/sign-up/') );
      exit();
   } 
Perhaps change calls like this, to something like this instead:
if (is_singular() /* i.e. a Single Post/Page, and NOT /wp-login.php. */ && ! current_user_can("read_apparatus")) {
      exit();
   } 
* Either that, or just be sure calls to current_user_can() are not being introduced in your /wp-login.php file inadvertently. For instance, if you create an /mu-plugin/ file, it WILL be included by WordPress into your /wp-login.php file, or anywhere /wp-load.php is called upon. See also: http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Ref ... s_singular

3. If the new User DOES have account ( i.e. you can find them in your Dashboard ), and you're NOT getting an error upon logging in ( i.e. you're just being redirected to the wrong page ), that would indicate to me that either the User is being denied access to your /wp-login.php file, or there is some other redirection occurring within the context of your /wp-login.php file, or through a custom plugin/theme file somewhere.

4. Be sure that s2Member is properly configured with a Login Welcome Page. If you don't have a Login Welcome Page configured, s2Member will redirect Users/Members to your home page by default. For debugging, see: /s2member/includes/classes/login-redirects.inc.php.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby artcoffeewords » October 28th, 2011, 5:21 am

This sounds like the same problem I am having that I posted about in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15587

I will try the sidebar login widget and see if that helps. Upgrading to pro (and getting the login widget) is definitely in the plans, but I really wanted to make sure s2member works for me before committing to pro.
artcoffeewords

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 28th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Thanks. @artcoffeewords. I followed up here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15587#p49075

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby dhempy » November 1st, 2011, 1:22 pm

Jason Caldwell wrote:Here are some things you might take a look for:

2. Do you have any calls like this that might be loaded on the /wp-login.php page? ... Perhaps change calls like this, to something like this instead:
if (is_singular() /* i.e. a Single Post/Page, and NOT /wp-login.php. */ && ! current_user_can("read_apparatus")) {
      exit();
   } 

4. Be sure that s2Member is properly configured with a Login Welcome Page. If you don't have a Login Welcome Page configured, s2Member will redirect Users/Members to your home page by default. For debugging, see: /s2member/includes/classes/login-redirects.inc.php.

Just a quick update. I added the is_singular() call, as you suggested in (2) above. I also removed my redirect code entirely, temporarily. Neither fixed it. This is not too surprising, as it is already in a single-posttype.php template, and the user is trying to log into the homepage.

I also confirmed the Welcome Page setting is correct. Existing users are able to log in.

I do not have any mu-plugins.

I just upgraded s2member-pro to v111029. No improvement. I haven't checked for a WP version update, but will do so.

I think my next step is to start injecting debug statements into wp-login.php and try to figure out where/why the redirection is occurring. I hate meddling with core code, but will restore the original files once I figure out what is going on.

Thanks for the pointers...any more advice you have is eagerly welcomed. I'll let you know if I find any other clues. BTW, feel free to split this thread off to a new one...didn't mean to hijack this one.
-dave
dhempy

Postby Jason Caldwell » November 1st, 2011, 2:43 pm

Thanks for the follow-up.
There was a bug fixed in the release of s2Member v111029 that could have caused something like this.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/s2member/changelog/
(s2Member/s2Member Pro) Bug fix. A bug related to the init() Hook firing an early call to c_ws_plugin__s2member_systematics::is_wp_systematic_use_page() was identified. Fixed in this release. One symptom of this bug was for Users/Members to have trouble accessing a BuddyPress registration form after having paid for Membership, under the right scenario ( could also have caused trouble with /wp-login.php ).

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby mrgoodfellow » February 2nd, 2012, 10:11 pm

if your trying to use the free sidebar login widget you can use the following to set the menu for each s2member user level menu

<a href="link">Menu Item</a>|access_s2member_level0

ect.
mrgoodfellow

Postby Cristián Lávaque » February 3rd, 2012, 4:28 am

Thanks for the tip! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Return to Common Questions/Problems/Tips