PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

How to set up coupon codes

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

How to set up coupon codes

Postby pwallin » December 17th, 2011, 4:32 pm

I have S2Member Pro, and have been using it for several months. I was pleased to read on another thread that it's possible to offer coupon codes without signing up for Paypal Pro.

My question is very basic: How do you set up coupon codes?

In my Wordpress dashboard I went into the coupon codes window of S2 member Pro. There were several examples of codes. I copied and pasted one into the editing window and saved it.

Now what? Is there a tutorial for setting up a registration form with the coupon code?

I'm not clear on the step-by-step procedure.

Thanks.
pwallin

Re: How to set up coupon codes

Postby Eduan » December 17th, 2011, 5:30 pm

Once you setup the coupon you want to use simply, make the pro-form shortcode and then add accept_coupons="1" in order that the form addapts itself so that it receives coupons.

Paste the shortcode in the page you want and try the coupon.

Hope this helps. :)
Now officially accepting Professional s2Member installations along with Bruce C (a.k.a. Ace).

If you're interested in a Professional s2Member Installation, or a Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.
Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby pwallin » December 17th, 2011, 8:55 pm

I'm not sure what you mean. How do you set up the coupon?

I copied and pasted this into the window of the S2Member Pro Coupon Codes configuration page: SAVE-10|10%

I scrolled down to the bottom of the page and saved it. But where is it saved?

How do I make Pro form shortcode?

Sorry to appear so dense. I must be missing something here. I had no trouble using forms to create Paypal buttons or to set up membership levels. But these forms and shortcodes have me stymied.
pwallin

Postby Eduan » December 17th, 2011, 9:05 pm

You can create pro-forms under WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Pro-forms, you can create for any level.

The coupon information is saved on the field in which you put the coupon code.

Once you create the shortcode of the pro-form and paste it on a post/page, add accept_coupons="1" at the end of the pro-form's shortcode (make sure there is a space before the /] in the shortcode).

After that you will see the pro-form in the post/page, but at the top it will have a coupon section, in the coupon field you will put SAVE-10 of your coupon (the text before the first pipe symbol [ | ] is the coupon that users will put).

Hope this helps. :)
Now officially accepting Professional s2Member installations along with Bruce C (a.k.a. Ace).

If you're interested in a Professional s2Member Installation, or a Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.
Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby pwallin » December 18th, 2011, 8:53 am

Thanks, Eduan for spelling it out for me. That was exactly what I needed. ;-)

I noticed when I generated the Proform shortcode, that there was already accept_coupons="0" in the middle of the code. I changed that to "1".

I also tried leaving it as 0 and appended accept_coupons="1" at the end, as you had recommended.

Both times when I viewed the results on the page where I posted it, I saw the form.

But the coupon code field was already filled in. And above it was a green bar that said: Sorry, your Coupon is N/A, invalid or expired.

2 questions:

1. Why is the coupon code already filled in when I open the page? Shouldn't the customer have to type it in?

2. Why did it say it was expired? Could that be because I'm already registered as a user on the site?
pwallin

Postby Eduan » December 18th, 2011, 9:11 am

Did you set the coupon to expire?
Did you try to logout before testing the form, or seeing it?

Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby pwallin » December 18th, 2011, 9:56 am

No, I didn't set any expiration parameters for the coupon.

I logged out and got the same coupon-expired message.
pwallin

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 19th, 2011, 5:44 am

Could you please post the shortcode you're using for the pro-form?

And, if possible, can we get link to the page where the pro-form is?

Thanks!
Cristián Lávaque http://s2member.net
Is s2Member working for you? Please rate it Image at WordPress.org. Thanks! :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby pwallin » December 19th, 2011, 7:21 am

Here's the shortcode:
[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="10" ccaps="" desc="3 Days free / then $149. USD / One Time ( for 1 year access, non-recurring )" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="thepracticeinstitute.com" ta="0" tp="3" tt="D" ra="149." rp="1" rt="Y" rr="0" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="SAVE-10|10%" accept_coupons="0" default_country_code="" captcha="0" accept_coupons="1" /]

The pro-form is on this page
http://thepracticeinstitute.com/test-page

BTW, once I get this problem cleared up, I'd like to modify it so that I can use coupon codes without needing to get Paypal Pro.

Do I need to have Paypal Express enabled for this to work?
pwallin

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 19th, 2011, 6:32 pm

I see. The coupon is already filled in because you added it to the shortcode coupon="SAVE-10|10%".

You can define the coupon and not have it in the shortcode, just allow coupons to be used accept_coupons="1".

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="10" ccaps="" desc="3 Days free / then $149. USD / One Time ( for 1 year access, non-recurring )" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="thepracticeinstitute.com" ta="0" tp="3" tt="D" ra="149." rp="1" rt="Y" rr="0" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="1" default_country_code="" captcha="0" accept_coupons="1" /]

I hope that helps. :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby pwallin » December 19th, 2011, 7:15 pm

Got it. Thanks!

I was confused by how the coupon code and the pro-form worked with each other. Now I see that I can define all the coupon discounts I want in one area of S2member (the coupon code configuration). And the pro-form is set up in another area to allow coupons. When a customer enters a discount code, the pro-form looks for a match in the coupon code configuration file. Correct?

Now...How can I enable coupons with Paypal standard?

Thanks.
pwallin

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 20th, 2011, 4:42 am

That is correct. :)

Coupons are only implemented in the pro-forms so far. You could create a customization to have coupons in your buttons, though. You may want to try a freelancers site to find a developer. viewforum.php?f=37

I hope that helps!
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby pwallin » December 20th, 2011, 7:21 am

This post mentioned Paypal express:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16153&p=54479&hilit=coupon+code+absolutely#p54479

If I enable Paypal express, would the buyer need to have a Paypal account? Or if they don't, would they still have the option of using their credit card at the Paypal site?
pwallin

Postby Cristián Lávaque » December 20th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Yes, he'd be required to have a PayPal account. No, he would not be given the option to pay with just a card at the PayPal site.

This is a limitation of Express Checkout, apparently because it's the option to pay with PayPal instead of a card in a payment form integrated with PayPal Pro, so it's really an option there for PayPal users.
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby sticky » January 3rd, 2012, 12:23 am

I can't get the coupon code to display.

Is there anything in the custom field section that is a pre rec for this to work?

http://www.stickyalbums.com/?page_id=2286

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="3" ccaps="" desc="$79.00 USD / One Time ( for 1 year access, non-recurring, no trial )" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.stickyalbums.com" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="79.00" rp="1" rt="Y" rr="BN" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="1" default_country_code="" captcha="0" accept_coupons="1" /]

Postby Raam Dev » January 3rd, 2012, 5:06 pm

I just tested that same button code on my own site and the coupon field showed up. Are you doing anything with JavaScript on that page?

Another thing to try is switching to the default TwentyTen theme to see if the coupon field shows up then. If it does, then your theme probably has some JavaScript running that's interfering with s2Member.
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby sticky » January 5th, 2012, 1:32 pm

is there anyway to disable a theme - on a specific page - to test this?

Postby Raam Dev » January 5th, 2012, 6:38 pm

I don't believe it's possible to disable a theme on a specific page. You might try looking for a plugin that does that, but I haven't seen one.
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby Cristián Lávaque » January 7th, 2012, 4:25 am

Found this one, haven't tried it. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page-theme/

Let us know if it helps. :)
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Postby sticky » January 27th, 2012, 4:02 pm

That page-theme plugin doesn't work with the latest vs of wordpress.

Postby sticky » January 27th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Raam Dev wrote:I just tested that same button code on my own site and the coupon field showed up. Are you doing anything with JavaScript on that page?

Another thing to try is switching to the default TwentyTen theme to see if the coupon field shows up then. If it does, then your theme probably has some JavaScript running that's interfering with s2Member.

I set this up on a dev server with the same theme and the same form and the coupon field works.

I am confused as to how the rest of the form works perfectly but the coupon code field is not displaying.

Dev Site (coupon field works): http://development.stickyalbums.com/member/?page_id=7
Live Site (coupon field not showing): https://www.stickyalbums.com/?page_id=2022

Same theme - same form short code:

[s2Member-Pro-PayPal-Form level="3" ccaps="" desc="$1.00 USD / One year / non-recurring" ps="paypal" lc="" cc="USD" dg="0" ns="1" custom="www.stickyalbums.com" ta="0" tp="0" tt="D" ra="1.00" rp="1" rt="Y" rr="BN" rrt="" rra="2" accept="paypal,visa,mastercard,amex,discover,maestro,solo" accept_via_paypal="paypal" coupon="" accept_coupons="1" default_country_code="" captcha="0" /]

Postby Cristián Lávaque » January 31st, 2012, 1:32 am

May be conflict with one of the plugins in your live site, or the theme. Use your site's theme in the dev blog and see if the problem happens. If not, add to your dev blog the plugins you have in the site, check after each if the problem happens.
Cristián Lávaque
Developer
Developer

Return to s2Member Plugin