PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Client Portals ~ with video tutorial.

Common Questions/Problems/Tips. Posted by Administrators & Support Reps.

Client Portals ~ with video tutorial.

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 24th, 2010, 12:06 pm

Hi Paul. Thanks for the great questions.
1. Login to their own members area, where they will uniquely have access to their own area which will contain pdfs. Is it possible to give or restrict access to what they can add on their own page?

Video
Yes. Client portals are very possible.
See video: http://www.s2member.com/wp-content/uplo ... ortals.mp4

~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: ( Client Portals ) ~ with video tutorial

Postby pbul2004 » August 31st, 2010, 9:12 am

Great stuff mate, thank you ever so much for the video :-) wasn't expecting that lol.

Will take a watch this week and give it ago!

Much appreciated! Glad you liked the question lol, sure theres thousands of people wanting the same thing!
pbul2004

Re: Re: ( Client Portals ) ~ with video tutorial

Postby Jason Caldwell » August 31st, 2010, 5:45 pm

You're VERY welcome.
My pleasure.

You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby Brian Hatano » September 12th, 2010, 12:31 am

Great!!! Thank you?

Would it be possible to then use an affiliate idea (idevaffiliate) to pass someone to the page of their referring affiliate?

Cheers
Brian Hatano

Postby Jason Caldwell » October 16th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Thanks for the great question.
Brian Hatano wrote:Would it be possible to then use an affiliate idea (idevaffiliate) to pass someone to the page of their referring affiliate?

Absolutely. s2Member is fully compatible with iDevAffiliate. I highly recommend that software. We use it for all of our sites, and it works beautifully. I suggest the Standard version ( $99 ). s2Member supports everything that iDev has to offer.

Here is our affiliate program, powered by iDevAffiliate:
http://www.websharks-inc.com/affiliates/

To integrate s2Member with iDevAffiliate:

From your Dashboard, go to:
s2Member -> API Tracking -> iDevAffiliate

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: Client Portals ~ with video tutorial.

Postby pbul2004 » January 19th, 2011, 6:41 am

I have a question regarding navigation once a user is logged in.

For example the subscriber logs in (maryjane), it then redirects to the users own training area, all is good.

However the user decides to look around the site elsewhere, ie the home page. This takes the user out of the training area.

I have the users pages ie "maryjane" hidden from the navigation.

How would it then be possible to pick up who's logged in and a link to go back to 'whoever's logged in training area?

So how would it pick up maryjane or dave, or freds training area and provide them a link to get back to that area???

For example: -
http://www.pbwebdesign-warrington.co.uk/test/

Login to the right using - maryjane and password blue123

This redirects to her admin area, now click elsewhere on the page ie Home.

How do you provide a link to whoever's logged in training area???

Thanks
pbul2004

Postby Jason Caldwell » January 19th, 2011, 7:42 am

Thanks for the great question.

In your Dashboard, under: s2Member -> API Scripting -> API Constants, you will find reference to this PHP Constant: S2MEMBER_LOGIN_WELCOME_PAGE_URL

So you can use this PHP Constant inside a PHP theme file, or even inside a Post/Page
if you have the PHP Execution plugin installed. Here is a quick code sample.

Code: Select all
<a href="<?php echo S2MEMBER_LOGIN_WELCOME_PAGE_URL; ?>">My Account</a>
* Note that this PHP Constant is dynamically adjusted for the current User/Member. So whatever you've configured as your Login Welcome Page for s2Member ( even if you're using a Special Redirection URL ), this PHP Constant will hold that value; with the dynamic properties ( i.e. Replacement Codes ) already filled in for the current User/Member.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby pbul2004 » January 19th, 2011, 9:18 am

Thats a really useful plugin there! Thanks.

Cheers for getting back to me, i can now crack on with the portal - hopefully be plain sailing now.

Thanks once again for the great support and fast reply!!! :-)
pbul2004

Postby Stef01 » February 13th, 2011, 2:48 pm

Hi,

Currently I implemented a member portal section in a WordPress site for a client, using a combination of about 3 plugins and some backend coding. But from maintenance point of view, and also for the actions the client has to make, this solution is not ideal.
Being able to create a client portal with s2member seems a better solution. Now, next to pages that are restricted to specific users (based in their login), we also need to be able to upload files that are only accessible by that same specific user. The links to those files will be added to the specific client page.
Now, I'm not sure how s2member can restrict access to downloads for that specific client. I watched the video about 'File Download Options'. I think the use of the 'download key' option, as described in 'Advanced Download Restrictions' might do the trick. If we add that kind of links to the specific client page, only that client will see the link with the download key and be able to access the file.
Can anyone confirm this? Would that really prevent other users from be able to access those files?

Thanks
Stef01

Postby phillian » March 2nd, 2011, 7:07 am

Thanks a lot for this plugin, I'm developing something and hope to be able to use S2Member or S2MemberPro for it.

The Client Portal video was exactly what I needed to know. I am working with a Co-Op to create an online portal where members can access their individual accounts (not a downloadable product).

What I am trying to get S2Member to do is have an individual client page that automatically pulls from a database how much food lbs they have left to pick up (dynamic) and where/ when their next pick up is (dynamic) and their subscription status (dynamic).

So, a typical /%%current_user_login%%/ page should propagate something like:

Hi UserName

Your have "#" lbs remaining in your "food type program". The next pickup date for this is "date" at "user_selected_location".

Is this something within the capabilities of S2Member / S2Member Pro or should I seek a custom solution?

(I should add that this is a passion project for a nonprofit and not something I am being compensated for, so I am trying to keep costs as low as possible).
phillian

Postby Jason Caldwell » March 5th, 2011, 6:58 am

Stef01 wrote:Hi,

Currently I implemented a member portal section in a WordPress site for a client, using a combination of about 3 plugins and some backend coding. But from maintenance point of view, and also for the actions the client has to make, this solution is not ideal. Being able to create a client portal with s2member seems a better solution. Now, next to pages that are restricted to specific users (based in their login), we also need to be able to upload files that are only accessible by that same specific user. The links to those files will be added to the specific client page.

Now, I'm not sure how s2member can restrict access to downloads for that specific client. I watched the video about 'File Download Options'. I think the use of the 'download key' option, as described in 'Advanced Download Restrictions' might do the trick. If we add that kind of links to the specific client page, only that client will see the link with the download key and be able to access the file.
Can anyone confirm this? Would that really prevent other users from be able to access those files?

Yes, this is correct. If you use s2Member's File Download Keys in conjunction with Specific Post/Page Access, this works beautifully. When s2member_file_download_key = a valid Key, it works independently from Member Level Access. That is, a visitor does NOT have to be logged in to receive access; they just need a valid Key. Using this advanced technique, you could extend s2Member's file protection routines, or even combine them with Specific Post/Page Access, and more. The possibilities are limitless really.

For the benefit of other readers. More information on this topic can be found in your Dashboard, under: s2Member -> Download Options -> Advanced Download Restrictions.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby cwiler » September 26th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Could you please tell me if anything has changed since this video was created? I've followed the directions, as in the video and for some reason when my client logs in they aren't directed to their individual welcome page. Instead they get directed to the website homepage. I've created the username, put the same in the custom capabilities and then in the page itself I selected page level rest. 0 and entered the username in the custom capabilities box. Also, in the S2Member general options tab under Login Welcome Page I changed the URL to: http://www.inspiredadvantage.com/%%current_user_login%%/.

I've been back over the video 3 times and retraced all my steps. I can't figure out what could be wrong unless something new has been added or changed to the process.

Thanks!
Christina
cwiler

Postby rabmcnab » September 27th, 2011, 9:12 am

It's still working fine Christina, I just implemented it there using the latest veriosn of S2Member. You have a trailing slash on your login welcome URL which shouldn't be there, that might be what's causing your problem.

Thanks very much for doing this video Jason - excellent work and a great plugin. First time I've used it, hopefully I'll get some more work that will allow me to use it more and explore it further.
rabmcnab

Postby cwiler » September 27th, 2011, 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply rabmcnab. It must have been my cookies or something last night b/c I came back this morning and logged in and everything was just fine as it should be.

I agree, Jason... excellent work and great plugin. It's my first time using it as well and I'm excited to see what else I can do with it.

Thanks!
cwiler

Postby Jason Caldwell » September 27th, 2011, 9:42 pm

Thank you both for the compliments! Much appreciated :-)
~ You're VERY welcome.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby wibbsy » November 2nd, 2011, 8:29 am

Jason.. This is a fantastic tutorial.

Within my client pages, I want to have a sidebar that lists all that particular clients files also. So from your tutorial when maryjane logs in she see's her page and her files only.

Am I right in thinking that I can limit the availability of the file list by simply putting a page level restriction with 'username' custom capability on the client page, but then how would I embed a custom capability (username) into the files themselves so that only that user can access only those files?
wibbsy

Postby Jason Caldwell » November 3rd, 2011, 11:36 am

Thanks for the follow-up.
Am I right in thinking that I can limit the availability of the file list by simply putting a page level restriction with 'username' custom capability on the client page, but then how would I embed a custom capability (username) into the files themselves so that only that user can access only those files?
Yes, that's possible too. Please check your Dashboard under this section:
s2Member -> API Scripting -> Custom Capability and Member Level Files.

( click to enlarge )
SNAG-0103.png

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby wibbsy » November 3rd, 2011, 1:33 pm

Is there a shortcode to list all files based on a custom capability i.e. if I have the directory setup:

www.example.com/s2member-files/access-s ... -maryjane/

and in that director is a load of word files, then do I have a shortcode to list all files (with links) from that directory within a post/page subject to the user having the maryjane custom capability?

I know I can do this as per the example on a file by file basis, but I'm thinking further down the line I may want to ftp dump a load of files into that directly and not have to manually reference all the files?
wibbsy

Postby Jason Caldwell » November 3rd, 2011, 2:05 pm

Sorry, no. There's no Shortcode for that yet.
Here's a way to achieve what you need via PHP though.

Create this directory and file:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-list-ccap-files.php
( these are MUST USE plugins, see: http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins )
<?php
function s2_list_ccap_files 
($ccap)
    {
        if ($ccap && is_string ($ccap) && is_dir ($files_dir = $GLOBALS["WS_PLUGIN__"]["s2member"]["c"]["files_dir"]))
            if (is_dir ($ccap_dir = $files_dir . "/access-s2member-ccap-" . $ccap) && is_readable ($ccap_dir))
                {
                    foreach (scandir ($ccap_dir) as $file)
                        {
                            if (strpos ($file, ".") !== 0)
                                {
                                    $files[] = $file;
                                }
                        }
                }
        return (!empty ($files) && is_array ($files)) ? implode ("<br />", $files) : "";
    }
?>

Now install this PHP Execution plugin, very simple. So you can do this inside a Post/Page.
<?php echo s2_list_ccap_files("maryjane"); ?>

If you get PHP header errors, you have extra spaces/tabs/line breaks before or after <?php ?>.
Unzip the attached file to get the original, and upload it to:
/wp-content/mu-plugins/s2-list-ccap-files.php
s2-list-ccap-files.zip
(450 Bytes) Downloaded 261 times

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby wibbsy » November 3rd, 2011, 3:21 pm

Thanks Jason, that did what I require (subject to a little display format tinkering on the return command)... I also like the use of the "there is no shortcode YET" ;)

Thanks
wibbsy

Postby Jason Caldwell » November 3rd, 2011, 3:28 pm

Absolutely. You're very welcome.
Yea we have MANY Shortcode requests, we'll get to this one eventually :-)
( thanks for the great feedback )

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby tetrisfoh » December 24th, 2011, 7:28 pm

I have followed the video to the letter and every time I login with username "maryjane" (or any username I create) it redirects me to the "Options" page that i have configured. I am using the custom capabilities and the login welcome page and still not having any luck. I am not sure how to overcome this and it is driving me up the wall!!! lol Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

-Tetris

Note: Gensis framework is installed. Not sure if that makes a difference.
tetrisfoh

Postby Jason Caldwell » December 26th, 2011, 7:29 pm

tetrisfoh wrote:I have followed the video to the letter and every time I login with username "maryjane" (or any username I create) it redirects me to the "Options" page that i have configured. I am using the custom capabilities and the login welcome page and still not having any luck. I am not sure how to overcome this and it is driving me up the wall!!! lol Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

-Tetris

Note: Gensis framework is installed. Not sure if that makes a difference.
When you are redirected to the Membership Options Page, s2Member will tag on some additional variables, which indicate what is preventing access from being granted. For further details on this, please check your Dashboard, under: s2Member -> API Scripting -> Membership Options Page Variables.

If the problem persists, please post the full URL that you're redirected to upon logging in, along with all of the query string variables that s2Member places in the URL. We'll be happy to review that with you.

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Postby tetrisfoh » December 26th, 2011, 7:43 pm

Jason,
I am not 100% sure what the API stuff is as I am no programmer so below is the link that I get with the redirect. I have tried completely removing the plugin and reinstalling in as well to no avail. Also, if you need the username/password to test the login, let me know.

http://www.aggrolawn.com/test-options/?_s2member_seeking%5Btype%5D=page&_
s2member_seeking%5B
page%5D=127&_s2member_seeking%5B_uri%5D=L2NsaWVudHMvbWFyeWphbmU%3D&_
s2member_req%5B
type%5D=level&_s2member_req%5Blevel%5D=0&_s2member_res%5Btype%5D=page&
s2member_seeking=page-127&s2member_level_req=0

Thanks,
Ted
tetrisfoh

Postby Jason Caldwell » December 26th, 2011, 7:49 pm

So upon logging in, s2Member attempts to deliver you to Page ID #127. However, you are not allowed to view that Page because it requires you to be logged in, and s2Member is unable to satisfy that criteria for some reason. It actually looks like you're NOT logged-in properly. Is it possible that you've logged in on a different variation of your domain? Please see this article: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1066

Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Next

Return to Common Questions/Problems/Tips