PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

No registration form after returning from PayPal

Common Questions/Problems/Tips. Posted by Administrators & Support Reps.

No registration form after returning from PayPal

Postby Jason Caldwell » April 12th, 2011, 9:56 pm

After checkout, your Customer will receive an email with instructions and a special link to your registration form. In addition, immediately after checkout, the Customer will be returned to the Registration Form automatically. If that is not happening ( i.e. you are NOT being redirected after checkout ), here are some things I would have a look at:

• Did you complete the PayPal Auto-Return/PDT integration described in s2Member -> PayPal Options -> Auto-Return/PDT? If not, you'll need to follow the instructions provided there. This section is in your Dashboard under: s2Member -> PayPal Options -> Auto-Return/PDT.
  • Are you offering a free trial? If so, there are certain circumstances under which PayPal does not provide any data to s2Member immediately after checkout. In those cases, s2Member will process everything through IPN integration behind-the-scene and send the Customer an email. So instead of immediately redirecting to the registration form, a Customer will be instructed to check their email, where they will receive a clickable link to the Registration Form. This is an annoying limitation, but it has to do with free trials only, and it does not negatively affect the ability for s2Member to process things, it just makes it a little less user-friendly, since a Customer will need to check their email for the link instead of being redirected to it immediately. If you'd like to bypass this limitation, don't offer a free trial option; as this only happens when there is a free trial associated with the PayPal checkout process. Either that, or you can upgrade to s2Member Pro using Pro Forms, where this is not an issue.
~ Jason Caldwell / Lead Developer
& Zeitgeist Movie Advocate: http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/

Is the s2Member plugin working for you? Please rate s2Member at WordPress.org.
You'll need a WordPress.org account ( comes in handy ). Then rate s2Member here Image
Jason Caldwell
Lead Developer
Lead Developer

Re: No registration form after returning from PayPal

Postby PivotBoss » January 3rd, 2012, 2:07 pm

Hello!

I've integrated s2Member with my website, and I believe everything is working well, except one aspect - when a customer pays through PayPal to become a Level 1 member, they do not receive the Signup Confirmation Email to complete their registration. I'm not sure why this could be.

All of the PayPal Options have been filled out, including the IPN Integration, and the PayPal process works perfectly fine. The customer (and site owner - me) receives a PayPal email confirming the automatic payment profile...but the s2Member Signup Confirmation Email never arrives, thereby leaving the customer completely confused and unable to register.

I have s2Member Pro, but I'm only using the standard Signup Confirm Email right now, as I do not have PayPal Pmts Pro at this time, only the Standard Business acct. Also, I'm allowing a free trial to the subscription.

I'm sure there's some small detail or option that I have not ticked that will make the difference. Is there anything you can think of that can help me get this corrected?

I appreciate and look forward to your response.

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby Raam Dev » January 3rd, 2012, 6:02 pm

Hi Frank,

Could you please install the EMail Log plugin and then check to see if it reports s2Member successfully sending the email?

Also, you may want to check the spam folder for the Signup Confirmation Email.

And finally, you might want to try manually configuring the SMTP server details that WordPress uses to send email using the WP Mail SMTP plugin.
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby PivotBoss » January 3rd, 2012, 6:10 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I'll try these out and report back.

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby PivotBoss » January 3rd, 2012, 8:16 pm

Alright, I've found partial success! :)

I had no idea my WordPress profile was using an old (but still in use) email for my account. So the "From" field didn't match the profile email address. When I changed these to match the correct email I wanted to use, it worked - partially. I explain why below..

For the Signup Confirmation Recipients field, the %%payer_email%% is there, along with my email (I added this to receive a copy). When I finally fixed all the email confusion, s2M sent an email to my address (yay!), but the email to the payer never showed (boo).

I installed the Email Log plugin...the output reads "No email Logs Found". Even after my email address received the proper correspondence.

Additionally, the spam folder did not contain any emails.

I have not tried the WP Mail SMTP Plugin yet, tho.

Any ideas as to why I would be receiving the Signup Confirm Email, but not the payer?

Again, thanks for your help!

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby Raam Dev » January 4th, 2012, 5:55 pm

I'm not sure. That's really strange that the email log plugin did not record the emails s2Member sent -- it should be recording them. I'd definitely try installing the SMTP plugin and see if that helps.

Could you also please enable the logging routines (WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Options -> PayPal Account Details -> Enable Logging Routines) and then conduct a test transaction and then share the log files here (be sure to X-out any private information).
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby PivotBoss » January 4th, 2012, 8:15 pm

I checked the log file and, in my limited experience, it seems like everything worked fine. Here's the snippet:

Code: Select all
PHP v5.2.17 :: WordPress® v3.3.1 :: s2Member® v111220 :: s2Member® Pro v111220
Memory 21.19 MB :: Real Memory 21.75 MB :: Peak Memory 21.29 MB :: Real Peak Memory 21.75 MB
xxxxxxx.com/?s2member_paypal_notify=1
User-Agent:
array (
  'txn_type' => 'subscr_signup',
  'subscr_id' => 'I-U65MU4GA9T2D',
  'last_name' => 'xxxxxxx',
  'option_selection1' => 'xxxxxxx.com',
  'option_selection2' => 'xxxxxxx',
  'residence_country' => 'US',
  'mc_currency' => 'USD',
  'item_name' => 'Premium Access / xxxxxx ($69/month)',
  'amount1' => '0.00',
  'business' => 'xxx@xxxxx.com',
  'amount3' => '69.00',
  'recurring' => '69.00',
  'verify_sign' => 'An5ns1Kso7MWUdW4ErQKJJJ4qi4-AU6cebg0VW-4wYpz7ZZyuhjWpiiv',
  'payer_status' => 'verified',
  'payer_email' => 'xxx@xxx.com',
  'first_name' => 'xxx',
  'receiver_email' => 'xxx@xxx.com',
  'payer_id' => 'ZD9L2UQLPB376',
  'option_name1' => 'Originating Domain',
  'invoice' => '4f04f27659742~xxxxxxx',
  'option_name2' => 'Customer IP Address',
  'reattempt' => '1',
  'item_number' => '1',
  'subscr_date' => '16:46:25 Jan 04, 2012 PST',
  'custom' => 'xxxxx.com',
  'charset' => 'windows-1252',
  'notify_version' => '3.4',
  'period1' => '2 W',
  'mc_amount1' => '0.00',
  'period3' => '1 M',
  'mc_amount3' => '69.00',
  'ipn_track_id' => 'I5ieXPm1zqC9J.ucB3sLTw',
  's2member_log' =>
  array (
    0 => 'IPN received on: Thu Jan 5, 2012 12:46:31 am UTC',
    1 => 's2Member POST vars verified through a POST back to PayPal®.',
    2 => 's2Member originating domain ( `$_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]` ) validated.',
    3 => 's2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `web_accept|subscr_signup` ).',
    4 => 's2Member `txn_type` identified as ( `web_accept|subscr_signup` ) w/o update vars.',
    5 => 'Signup Confirmation Email sent to: "xxxx xxxxx" <xxxx@xxxx.com>; xxxx@xxxx.com.',
    6 => 'Storing IPN signup vars into a Transient Queue. These will be processed on registration.',
  ),
  'subscr_gateway' => 'paypal',
  'eotper' => NULL,
  'ccaps' => NULL,
  'level' => '1',
  'ip' => 'xxxxxx',
  'initial_term' => '2 W',
  'initial' => '0.00',
  'regular' => '69.00',
  'regular_term' => '1 M',
)

Again, I received a copy of the Signup Confirm Email instantly, but the payer did not. Also, the Email Log plugin still did not record any email events.

I'll try the SMTP plugin next.

I appreciate your effort on this.

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby PivotBoss » January 4th, 2012, 9:43 pm

I tried the WP Email SMTP plugin and was able to send successful "test" emails to various accounts using the plugin - and the Email Log actually logged the events this time!

However, when it came time to test a PayPal subscription transaction, the Signup Confirm Email was not sent to the payer, nor to me. The Email Log didn't catch any activity upon this transaction, either. I tried several of these test cases, without success.

I'm not sure what else to do. This is the only thing holding me back from launching this service to my customers, and it's rather frustrating. I'll keep trying...it has to be some small detail on my end that's not allowing the email to be sent.

As a last resort, I could manually forward the email I receive to subscribers, but this is obviously not the most efficient (or desired) approach.

Open to any and all suggestions.

Again, thanks for your help, Raam.

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby Raam Dev » January 5th, 2012, 5:16 pm

If the s2Member log is showing this:

Code: Select all
5 => 'Signup Confirmation Email sent to: "xxxx xxxxx" <xxxx@xxxx.com>; xxxx@xxxx.com.',

But that email is not being received and the Email Log plugin is not reporting the email being sent, then I'd say something is interfering with s2Member's ability to send the email.

Could you try disabling all plugins on the site and testing again?
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby PivotBoss » January 5th, 2012, 5:46 pm

I deactivated all plugins, except S2, WP Show IDs, and Email Log...still a no go. Also, I'm no longer receiving the copy to my email anymore either. I've totally regressed..

The Email Log didn't catch any activity, either.

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby Raam Dev » January 5th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Did you make sure the email address configured in WP Admin -> Settings -> General is correct?

Also, are you testing all of this with a PayPal transaction? Could you try setting up a Free Registration form (WP Admin -> s2Member -> PayPal Pro Forms -> PayPal Pro / Free Registration Forms) and see if you get the same result?
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby PivotBoss » January 5th, 2012, 6:58 pm

The email address in WP Admin/Settings/General is correct. I am executing an actual (live) PayPal transaction using a real account.

I just tried the Free Reg Form, and it worked instantly...received the email without a problem.

Btw, the Email Log caught this activity (New User Registration email, and Username/Password email).

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby schwein » January 6th, 2012, 3:17 pm

I am having this same issue. I am not offering a Free Membership. However, when I test out the Join link I am sent to paypal. I check out, but am sent to a page that says I will receive an email with the registration link, but that it could take up to 15 minutes. I never received an email. But... I thought that it should automatically redirect them to the registration page after checkout. My auto return is set to http://sexygirlfitnessclub.com/tester/? ... l_return=1 But that link doesn't take me to the registration page. If I put /wp-login.php?action=register then I am taken to the registration page. Should I set my auto return to that url. Will that still track that they came from paypal.

I'm really confused and frustrated as this is taking up almost 2 hours of trying to figure out. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Erin
schwein

Postby PivotBoss » January 12th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Thanks for your help with my issue, Raam et al.

I'm sorry we were not able to resolve it. Seemed like a very simple issue, but time is of the essence, and I have now moved on to a different membership plugin. So, no need to keep working on my issue.

Again, thanks for your help and good luck.

Frank
PivotBoss

Postby Raam Dev » January 13th, 2012, 4:23 pm

Hi Frank,

I'm sorry we couldn't get this resolved for you quick enough.

The other things I can suggest to trying is reinstalling s2Member. Also, if you have access to another server, I suggest trying to install it over there to see if maybe it's a server configuration issue.
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby boorchess » January 24th, 2012, 10:29 pm

I am also having the same issue. When someone pays to subscribe to my service they are left hanging out a paypal for 15 minutes and not redirected to the registration page. I do offer a 1week trial with subscription and I will see if that works. Also I read somewhere on the paypay site that "auto return" does not work with subscription buttons. If that is the case does anyone know of a workaround. I am a complete beginner with no coding experience.
boorchess

Postby boorchess » January 24th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Here is instructions from paypal:

"Auto Return for Website Payments

Auto Return for Website Payments brings your buyers back to your website immediately after payment completion. Auto Return applies to PayPal Website Payments, including Buy Now, Donations, Subscriptions, and Shopping Cart. Learn More

Auto Return:
Auto Return:
On
Off
Return URL: Enter the URL that will be used to redirect your customers upon payment completion. This URL must meet the guidelines detailed below. Learn More

Return URL:

Return URL Requirements: The following items are required in order to set up Auto Return.

Per the user agreement, you must provide verbiage on the page displayed by the Return URL that will help the buyer understand that the payment has been made and that the transaction has been completed.
You must provide verbiage on the page displayed by the Return URL that explains that payment transaction details will be emailed to the buyer.
Example: Thank you for your payment. Your transaction has been completed, and a receipt for your purchase has been emailed to you. You may log into your account at www.paypal.com/us to view details of this transaction.
Payment Data Transfer (optional)

Payment Data Transfer allows you to receive notification of successful payments as they are made. The use of Payment Data Transfer depends on your system configuration and your Return URL. Please note that in order to use Payment Data Transfer, you must turn on Auto Return."

Should I click yes to both of these features or only have the first one turned on ?

I just want my user to pay and then come back to the registration page to get login and password.

I would be willing to pay someone to install this correctly. I need to start making a living ! Thanks.
boorchess

Postby boorchess » January 24th, 2012, 11:10 pm

This is the text on the button edit page in paypal.

"Have PayPal create user names and passwords for customersWhat's this?Give customers access to "members-only" content on your site.Give customers access to "members-only" content on your site.
Notes: IPN and server modifications required.
Auto Return is not compatible with this feature."

So if Paypal does not allow auto-return for subscriptions am I screwed ? Should I click "create user name and password" and if I do will that inegrate with s2member ?

Thanks for the help guys I think I might be on to the answer I am looking for.
boorchess

Return to Common Questions/Problems/Tips