PriMoThemes — now s2Member® (official notice)

This is now a very OLD forum system. It's in READ-ONLY mode.
All community interaction now occurs at WP Sharks™. See: new forums @ WP Sharks™

Reasons for no access to download when should be possible?

s2Member Plugin. A Membership plugin for WordPress®.

Reasons for no access to download when should be possible?

Postby Xandria » January 25th, 2012, 10:32 pm

I set up a directory tree as follows:

wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/access-s2member-level0/
wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/access-s2member-level0/dns/
wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/access-s2member-level1/
etc.

I have a series of files in "wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/access-s2member-level0/dns/".

I created a link that looks like: http://speakeasysolutions.com/blog/?s2m ... _109v2.pdf

When clicked upon (after being logged in, with appropriate level... even level 4 access), I am still denied the download. Even if I place a file in the root "s2member-files" dir, I cannot download.

I can access the post in which the link is contained. But when I click the link, I am redirected to the main Membership Options page.

I had this working fine on testing.speakeasysolutions.com, but not now.

Why would this be? Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Xandria

Re: Reasons for no access to download when should be possibl

Postby Raam Dev » January 26th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Did you make sure there downloads allowed for that Level in WP Admin -> s2Member -> Download Restrictions -> Basic Download Restrictions?

Have you tried downloading the file using Advanced Download Restrictions to see if that works at all?
Raam Dev || Wherever you are, be there. || Please rate s2Member!
Raam Dev
Developer
Developer

Postby Xandria » January 26th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, download restricts are set and the same as I had on the test WP site. Still get shunted to Membership Options page.

When I use advanced, I get "503 ( Invalid Key ): Sorry, your access to this file has expired. Please contact Support for assistance." But I wasn't sure if I needed to install PHP execution plugin if using the following link: http://www.speakeasysolutions.com/blog/ ... nload_key=<?php echo s2member_file_download_key("SpeechMikeIII_UpdateProcess_V1.0.pdf"); ?>

It's very strange since it was working on my test site but not this one. My test site was: testing.speakeasysolutions.com and my actual site is: speakeasysolutions.com/blog (does installing this on a WP site that is a subdir of a main dir cause issues?)

I'll try picking this apart again, but any other thoughts are welcome. Thanks much.
Xandria

Postby Eduan » January 26th, 2012, 9:33 pm

You will need a PHP Execution plugin in order to use that url, since it does have some PHP at the end (not the "<?php"). Though I recommend using the Exec-PHP plugin, which accomplishes the same thing, but there have been some cases in which the PHP Execution plugin doesn't work correctly.

Hope this helps. :)
Now officially accepting Professional s2Member installations along with Bruce C (a.k.a. Ace).

If you're interested in a Professional s2Member Installation, or a Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.
Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Xandria » January 28th, 2012, 9:28 am

Installed Exec PHP, and still get the "503 ( Invalid Key ): Sorry, your access to this file has expired. Please contact Support for assistance." error.

Okay, I'm going to compare my working and non working s2member installs and see if I missed something in the setup. I have a bad feeling there is some conflict with my WP install or something (which I seriously hope not since it's been functioning for years).
Xandria

Postby Xandria » January 28th, 2012, 9:51 am

This is seriously mind-boggling. I have two sites that I have s2member installed upon. I did purchase the Pro version (although I don't need it, and did not install it, I felt the developers deserve to be paid for such a great system).

testing.speakeasysolutions.com
&
speakeasysolutions.com/blog

Both installs are the same. Both setups are the same. Downloads function perfectly on testing but on the blog the download does not occur and one is kicked back to the main membership page.

Apologies for sounding so desperate, but does anyone else have an idea? I'd really like to make this work as I otherwise think this plug-in is tops! Thanks much.
Xandria

Postby Xandria » January 28th, 2012, 10:00 am

ETA: I lied.

The WP install differences are: the theme and plugins. Testing is obviously bare bones. Blog has the following plugins:

Akismet
All in One SEO Pack
Category Order
Cateogry Show
DH Admin Themes
FancyBox for Wordpress
Google XML Sitemaps
Hackadelic Sliding Notes
Jetpack by WordPress.com
My Link Order
PHP Execution
Relevanssi
Shareholic
Subscribe2
Table of Contents Creator
TinyMCE Advanced
W3 Total Cache
Wordpress Popular Posts
Wordpress Tabs Slides
WP-SpamFree
WP Bannerize
Yet Another Related Posts Plugin

Geez... I'm a plug-in junkie. "Hi, my name is Xandria, and I'm a WP Junkie."
Xandria

Postby Eduan » January 28th, 2012, 10:42 am

Could you please check if W3 Total Cache has GZIP enabled?

Sometimes this causes problems with downloads.

Please tell me how it goes.

Hope this helps. :)
Now officially accepting Professional s2Member installations along with Bruce C (a.k.a. Ace).

If you're interested in a Professional s2Member Installation, or a Custom Coding Job, you can send your request here.
Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Xandria » January 28th, 2012, 10:56 am

Disabled GZIP and still no effect.

I even deactivated W3 Total Cache entirely. Still no effect.

My link looks like this: http://speakeasysolutions.com/blog/?s2m ... _109v2.pdf

And my FTP file structure is: /speakeasysolutions/blog/wp-content/plugins/s2member-files/access-s2member-level0/dns
and within is the wp_DNS_HTML_109v2.pdf file.

I just keep scratching my head over and over on this one. And I can't help but think it's something obvious I'm missing (that's usually the case). sigh.
Xandria

Postby Eduan » January 28th, 2012, 1:41 pm

Then could you try making a compatibility test with the other plugins and themes? Just to be able to rule that out.

Just disable each plugin one by one (without including s2Member) until the problem goes away. If you can't make the changes site-wide because you already have users or somethings like that, you can use the Plugin Organizer plugin if you want in order to only disable the plugin on the page with the problem.

Also could you please try changing the theme to the default one (TwentyEleven)? And see if it works after that. Again, if you can't disable the theme in a site-wide manner you can use the Page Theme plugin in order to change the theme to the default theme in a specific page.

You should try one at a time in order to make sure you find the correct problem.

Another fast way, is to deactivate all the plugins (not s2Member) and change back to the default theme (TwentyEleven), and then clear your browser's cache. See if the problem goes away, if it does, then activate each plugin one per one until the problem appears again, then the theme you were using, that should show up the criminal.

If you find the criminal, could you please tell me which plugin/theme was causing the problems? Thanks.

Please tell me how it goes and I hope this helps. :)

Eduan
Experienced User
Experienced User

Postby Xandria » January 29th, 2012, 11:28 am

Thanks, Eduan. I do appreciate your assist. Unfortunately, I'm ready to put my head through a window.

First I went to my Testing site, and added each plugin one by one. I could still download files.

Then I went to my Blog site (the one I need to work), installed Plugin Organizer, deactivated plugins (except s2), and I'm still unable to download.

Then I installed my Blog theme to Testing. I could still download files.

Then I went to my Blog site, installed Page Theme, switched theme on a post with download, and I'm still unable to download.

The only thing I can think of is that Testing is testing.speakeasysolutions.com (a subdomain) and Blog is speakeasysolutions.com/blog (a subdirectory).

I'm going to install another WP theme as a subdirectory to see if my theory is correct in that there is something in the s2member plugin that doesn't compensate for a subdirectory install of WP.

The Blog has been around forever, so sadly, I can't move it to a subdomain without causing some issues.

I really want to use s2member -- that's what's a killer for me right now. I've invested so much time and energy into pre implementation organization etc. Somehow I'd really like to make it work.

Thanks, again. As always, any other thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
Xandria

Postby Xandria » January 30th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Okay. After beating my head against the wall, the issue is... drumroll please...

As suspected...

s2member or my installation cannot be configured to work within subdirectories of a main website.

I performed a clean install of WP on speakeasysolutions.com/testsite, installed s2member, configured, and every download takes me to the Membership Options page instead of accessing the download.

So... what can I do to tweak the code to make this work???

Cheers.
Xandria

Postby Xandria » February 1st, 2012, 4:24 pm

I scoured this forum as best as possible for other possible answers, but couldn't find anything appropriate.

Is anyone else using s2member on a subdirectory (but not a multi user setup)?

I keep thinking I'm missing something in the configuration, but for the life of me I don't know what to adjust.

Thoughts? Thanks much.
Xandria

Return to s2Member Plugin